Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Nuevo Fishing info

We are taking a family vacation to Nuevo Vallarta the first week of April. I’m looking into a fishing trip. More than likely just a 4-6 hour trip within the bay. If the whole family is interested possible a fish and snorkel trip.

Does anyone here have any recommendations/experiences or opinions on captains?

Any success stories?
Old 02-22-2020, 01:58 PM

I've been twice with Captain Pablo's out of Sayulita and left with a cooler full of fish both times. They just offer simple panga boats but its reasonably priced ( $250 US for a half day) and they know where the fish are.

Best we had was a few years ago when my wife and I both hooked into Mahi Mahi at the same time. Mine snapped the hook off but the wife landed a nice 15lber. We usually go over the xmas/new years break and the main game fish around is Spanish Mackerel. Both times we left with a dozen mackerel and they are fantastic eating. Kept some red snapper, chili verde, and bonito as well. We book fishing early in our trip so we have time to eat all our fish lol.

I'm going down to Nuevo/Bucerias in November and I'm going to go out with them again. An early morning cab ride kinda sucks, but I just want to catch fish and not waste any time so its worth it to me.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM

I am in nuavo right now just walked into the condo I was surf fishing 5 minutes ago. Fishing is fishing there’s good news and bad good days and bad but the good days are quite hard to find anymore. I fish every day here and my friend lives here and fish’s almost everyday in the winter and he has been here for 30 years. One day we took a boat out 40 miles and caught 2 Mahi. And for all 40 miles there’s was long lines setup and you could still see them setup further after we turned around. Pretty hard to catch a fish with three line out behind a boat when there are 30,000 hooks out all over the place. This first trip was with family on a family boat so we where peddle down to get out to the fishing area. If your on a charter boat they slowly put out so they don’t use much fuel so 3/4 of you day Is not Fishing it’s taxiing out in a boat. The first trip was out of syulita area
Send trip was out of Nuevo marina 250$usd 4 hours fishing and we got three jack cravell or toro in Mexico. They are hard fighting fish but on a tuna / mating rod it’s not much fun it’s kinda like using a ****ty old princess auto winch to fish with. Only fish in they bay worth catching I’d toro right now. I have not fished this place in April so who knows what will be around. Couple other guys from the resort boated out 50 miles from newevo marina $1000usd and did really well 2 sailfish and 4 Mahi. But out of all the boats that morning they where the only boat that got any fish. Then they where told the sailfish is not good eating and the Mexicans took 90% of it for them self’s. Surf fishing this year is garbage they have netted this bay empty only a few small toro around that are small enough to squeeze out of the nets. Even the guys netting are only getting 20-30
Fish out of a 200 meter net. PV has become to busy and the commercial fishing has crushed the sport fishing the Mexicans will never tell you that and you could possibly have a awesome day. This is what I have learned and find to be the most economical way to get a few fish around here.
#1 rent a car. I use gecko
#2 drive to Punta Mita mains find out who is catching fish.
#3 organize a trip with the guys catching fish from Punta Mita
#4 go out and tell them you want bonito so they use smaller baits
#5 if you do go way out for Mahi or sailfish be sure your boat will be using fresh cutbait

Charters don’t care if you catch fish you have already payed them. It’s safer/ cheaper and Easyer on them and there gear if you don’t catch fish they also don’t like to leave till 7:00 am so they don’t have to get up early. One boat we had the captain was Sleeping most of the day but he had an exceptional deckhand so we still got fish but if you have a bad crew they won’t help you catch fish at all.

I’m not sure if mikes fishing is still around out of nuevo but they did a $150 group fishing rate that you show up and get on a boat with a few others I had 5 people when I did it but three started puking so three of us caught all the fish.

Snorkling is a whole other thing around hear. Pretty much don’t waist your money. Water is to murky unless you go out to the islands and that’s an expensive trip and a long boat ride to bob around and I giant group of people on orange life vests.

That’s my experience from 9 years
Ask me any questions you have