Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2023, 10:06 PM

Default Driving to Whitehorse?

I need to get myself to Whitehorse, gonna leave Tuesday morning…
What are my chances with the road closures? How long will they be closed?
Old 05-07-2023, 04:53 AM

With the wild fires running rapid road closures change by the hour, you will be driving though a number of fire areas on your route from Calgary to Whitehorse, just a quick search showed 2 spots on hyw 43 that are currently closed.

You can check them here

https://511.alberta.ca/#:MyRoutes

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:06 AM

They’ve been intermittently closing the highway for the red creek fire north of fsj
Old 05-07-2023, 08:37 AM

If you have to fly, Air North is the way to go, Calgary to Whitehorse direct, cheaper than the gas you would burn.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-07-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
If you have to fly, Air North is the way to go, Calgary to Whitehorse direct, cheaper than the gas you would burn.

Grizz
Agreed, but I want a truck full of toys… my bow, some fishing gear, metal detector, that’s hard to pack onto a plane. And I want wheels so I can explore once I’m there.

I think driving is gonna be a pain. I’ve never driven through areas with road closures for fires. How long do they typically stay closed?
Old 05-07-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Agreed, but I want a truck full of toys… my bow, some fishing gear, metal detector, that’s hard to pack onto a plane. And I want wheels so I can explore once I’m there.

I think driving is gonna be a pain. I’ve never driven through areas with road closures for fires. How long do they typically stay closed?
That really depends on the size of the fire and how fast it's moving, sometimes the roads are closed for a day or more, there is some rain and cooler temps forecast so the situation may ease a bit in the next couple days, you just have to stay on top of it through the websites

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:16 AM

I think it's doable, may take a few extra days so plan for some delays. May have to take a few detours but i don't think you will have to many issue's
Old 05-07-2023, 12:33 PM

Long way around, but you may wish to try the Stewart Cassier Highway (Hwy 37) west out of Prince George and eventually connects with the Alaska Hwy west of Watson Lake.

Looking at my BC Wildfire App, only one fire of any size along the route and it is under control.

Mr Conservation
Old 05-07-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
They’ve been intermittently closing the highway for the red creek fire north of fsj
My son & his family live on Red Creek Road, They were evacuated yesterday morning, might be as long as a week. Fire is completely out of control, "not responding to fire control measures"

Highway 43 was also closed at Fox Creek, he had a big detour so we could pick up his horses in Whitecourt. As I type this, just got another 'evacuate' alert on my computer.

Country will look different when they get back

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-07-2023, 01:26 PM

That Cassiar highway would be a nice trip. I didn't take it when I was up there as I was running a bit short on time. Calling it a highway might be a bit of a misnomer. Looks like good road, but I think it's all gravel. If you want, youd be able to dip into Hyder Alaska also, along the way.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-07-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Long way around, but you may wish to try the Stewart Cassier Highway (Hwy 37) west out of Prince George and eventually connects with the Alaska Hwy west of Watson Lake.

Looking at my BC Wildfire App, only one fire of any size along the route and it is under control.

Mr Conservation
Head west then up to Prince George. This will be a longer route but likely quicker under the circumstances in Alberta right now.

BW
Old 05-07-2023, 01:31 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
... Looks like good road, but I think it's all gravel.
Driven it many times.
It is somewhat narrow, but it is paved except for a few short areas.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
My son & his family live on Red Creek Road, They were evacuated yesterday morning, might be as long as a week. Fire is completely out of control, "not responding to fire control measures"

Highway 43 was also closed at Fox Creek, he had a big detour so we could pick up his horses in Whitecourt. As I type this, just got another 'evacuate' alert on my computer.

Country will look different when they get back
Yeah, that wind storm a couple summers back dropped a lot of trees there, so lots of fuel for fire. I’m not far from being put on evacuation alert from that fire.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:40 PM

They just offered flights on the company jets to get us up to GP so the road access must be sketchy. In 20 years I’ve never been offered a lift. 🤣
Old 05-07-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Driven it many times.
It is somewhat narrow, but it is paved except for a few short areas.

Cheers
Oh, okay. The short stretch I saw was all gravel. Was kinda hoping it all was a bit rough to keep it a little quieter. Will have to take it one of these days.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-07-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay. The short stretch I saw was all gravel. Was kinda hoping it all was a bit rough to keep it a little quieter. Will have to take it one of these days.
It is quieter. It has been chip sealed from start to finish over the last decade. Much fewer services than the Alcan with Dease Lake being the main stop. It's worth a drive and the extra bit of time, especially if you've done the Alcan a bunch.

Where it gets less desirable is when the Alcan is closed as the highway and its services struggle with the the volume.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
If you want, youd be able to dip into Hyder Alaska also, along the way.
Hyder is a 62 km ( one way ) detour off Hwy 37 , not much to see really . Most summer days are on the cool side and cloudy .

Carry at least one full size spare tire and a tire pump.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hogfarmer View Post
Yeah, that wind storm a couple summers back dropped a lot of trees there, so lots of fuel for fire. I’m not far from being put on evacuation alert from that fire.
I know that fire was moving fast, here's hoping you & your property all safe. Take care!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King