Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
WOW...I wish I would have posted that because that is bang on...except..

I woundn't get my panties in a knot if someone disagreed with me..

Some of you so called role models need to step back and take inventory of what you post.....think about it..
SIGH!!!!.... I rest my case.....thanks for your insight....
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM

The AO Forum is a great source of information, education and entertainment.

Anyone with intelligence can filter through the vitriol, immaturity and diatribes and gain valuable insight into others views and positions.

Cheers to the people of this forum that contribute with good intent and polite rebuttals to opposing viewpoints.

The biggest thing that the AO forum has taught me and many other forums for that matter is …A lot of people cannot spell the word quiet.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=huntinstuff;491969].....I will let the mods decide. So far, no pm's
/QUOTE]

Crap......I've got 2 of them

No time in the box though

tm
Old 01-25-2010, 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra Monkey;492082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
.....I will let the mods decide. So far, no pm's
/QUOTE]

Crap......I've got 2 of them

No time in the box though

tm

Dang I got 2 weeks probation Dec 2007. Since then I been a good boy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM

I learned never to try and sell a Monster Energy Fridge in here, unless they are free, or I have 20 of them.

I learned that some of the guys in here have huge hearts, some have an incredible amount of knowledge that they will pass on if you ask nicely.
Some people have driven off others, which I can tell you is a real loss to the forum. Ripping off people, lying, stealing, being immature ignorant jerks to someone you do not know, while it maybe did not hurt YOU, it is the rest of us that suffer, as these people will never be back. Truly unfortunate.

I learned that while some guys want to meet you in person to 'finish a discussion cage style' most of them are actually good guys, and like messing with you. It is likely better that we don't meet, jail for me doesnt sound good, nor the hospital for you

I learned that even though guys in here can be incredibly ignorant, most of them will drop what they are doing to help out a family in need, even if it is ME asking for their help.

That is what suprised me most, big long heartfelt threads that will never be forgotten, by me anyway. Only 1 fight in 5000+ views is not too bad.

Now if I find a controversial thread though, I will likely pass over it. I do not want to fight with anyone online, it is just not worth it. Plus, banned camp is overrated.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Prime example of why PM's should, and could be used much more often, if you have something to say to a particular person, use the PM, instead of hiding behind a keyboard and flagrantly insulting somebody on a public forum...we have a lot of kids here who are getting into the outdoors...nice thing for them read when they get home from school.....
Sorry...I just had to laugh when I saw the above post with
Quote:
Last edited by lilsundance; 20 Minutes Ago at 05:38 PM.
underneath. would that be "irony"?

Oh..and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The biggest thing that the AO forum has taught me and many other forums for that matter is …A lot of people cannot spell.
.....fixed your post
Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Although I was not one of the people polled for an opinion on the AO Forum, here is what I would have gladly said in support. I am a new reader of this forum, and offered a few replies along the way. IMO their posts have been quite informative on the outdoor sports I am interested in. As well, the humour section along with any of the items FS has also been helpful. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Although I was not one of the people polled for an opinion on the AO Forum, here is what I would have gladly said in support. I am a new reader of this forum, and offered a few replies along the way. IMO their posts have been quite informative on the outdoor sports I am interested in. As well, the humour section along with any of the items FS has also been helpful. Thank you.
And that is how it should be. I'm glad you like it here. Lots of good people with some fantastic knowledge and pictures.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

still looking for the humour section!!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM

the thing i noticed is once i have met someone their posts are more understandable-by me. i think this is a great forum-have never been banned-but probably should have been when the lady had a piercing that needed to be removed. i have received lots of great info via PM and the forum.

Like all of you-even those who I upset-if you knew me you would just laugh at me
Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 PM

I've said it before in another thread: this is still one of the most civilized places on the interweb. Just go look at youtube or CGN.

The mods generally do a fine job keeping things in line.

The board has changed in the two years or so that I've been a bit active. Some people come some people go. There are many more now and that changes the dynamics a bit. Have met a a few members now and they were all fine people.

If I don't like something I generally just ignore it. Getting into a fight on the interweb is just a waste of time.

There were a few low points that I recall reading with disbelieve and I think that's what the FW guys were referring too.
Few months ago we had two flaming discussions about the supplemental antlerless tags and the transport of non-restricted firearms. All the correct answers were posted right away but it went on and on and on. Some people posted BS about the suppl Wt tags and admitted two pages later that they hadn't read the regs yet?
Seriously?

Overall this is still a great place to hang out, waste time and learn something.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
i think this is a great forum-have never been banned-but probably should have been when the lady had a piercing that needed to be removed.
I never laughed so hard in a thread before or since. Cried like a baby!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 AM

I'll agree that AO is a "good site", calling it the best is a mite extreme and would mean to me that there is a competition of some kind going on. The information on here can be overwhelming at times and needs to be sifted through. Never did learn much by having everyone agree with me. One of things I don't like seeing is young or new to the forums people getting jumped on by the big tough forum heavyweights just because of their inexperience. I like many I know of mentor some of these young people through PM's because after there first smackdown they won't post again for fear of it happening again so let's cut them some slack guys.
I have no idea if Rob started this as a way to help make money for himself or for the reasons stated above so can't comment on that.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I have no idea if Rob started this as a way to help make money for himself or for the reasons stated above so can't comment on that.
Still waiting for it to make me rich pitw. In fact, there have been many days I thought about just shutting it down - sometimes the headache aint worth it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Still waiting for it to make me rich pitw. In fact, there have been many days I thought about just shutting it down - sometimes the headache aint worth it.
I too have started projects that didn't make me anything but heartaches. Thanks for not taking the easy route.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator

In all honesty, when I started this forum I was hoping to get 500 members who would have a place to discuss issues that affect hunting, fishing and trapping in Alberta, which really is the mandate of the magazine. I didn't want a hook and bullet gig, rather, something that made us think about what was happening and maybe how we could make change as a group. And it has worked in many instances. But now it just keeps growing, and with that growth comes a whole host of issues, including a pile of IT stuff that is way over my head. As such, we've hired IT guys, installed servers, have Telus involved and constantly battle scammers and spammers as well as settle disputes on a regular basis. Not everybody who comes here does so with good intentions. If you knew what went on behind the scenes you'd be shocked. This forum is a 24/7 job and it is just now starting to pay for itself, and that's after years of the magazine footing the bill. At any rate, it's not going anywhere - I'm sure I'd be lynched were it shut down.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I'd be lynched were it shut down.

Yep, you probably would!

Thank you for providing this place to share ideas and thoughts. I feel its invaluable.

Any update on those Outdoorsman Forum Decals? I'd pay $$ for a few to help support the forum.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Yeah, you probably would be Rob! I have to say thanks for putting up with all the headaches though.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Any update on those Outdoorsman Forum Decals? I'd pay $$ for a few to help support the forum.
Still on my To-Do list. Sorry, I'll get after it quickly.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadiver View Post
yep, you probably would!

Thank you for providing this place to share ideas and thoughts. I feel its invaluable.

Any update on those outdoorsman forum decals? I'd pay $$ for a few to help support the forum.
x2
jfk
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
At any rate, it's not going anywhere - I'm sure I'd be lynched were it shut down.
At the speed you move Rob, I doubt anyone here could catch you....you are safe
Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
At the speed you move Rob, I doubt anyone here could catch you....you are safe
I also learned that Jim Shockey reads the magazine and he knows that I hate him....
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
i also learned that jim shockey reads the magazine and he knows that i hate him....
lol!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

HATE is such a strong word.........But Im a thinkin' it's in the air!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.SheepGuide View Post

HATE is such a strong word.........But Im a thinkin' it's in the air!!!
Yes, hate is a very strong word but my comment was actually a tongue-in-cheek reference to an article I did about Jim a while back and some of the petty jealousy that he faces. I highly respect Jim and count him amoung my friends. It just seems some people can't get past his success and never take the time to know the real man and would rather hate and malign him because of his success......It's sad actually but I guess it speaks to the character of the people that do it.

Jim and I had a pretty good laugh about it anyhow. Huntinstuff's name came up in the conversation....
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yes, hate is a very strong word but my comment was actually a tongue-in-cheek reference to an article I did about Jim a while back and some of the petty jealousy that he faces. I highly respect Jim and count him amoung my friends. It just seems some people can't get past his success and never take the time to know the real man and would rather hate and malign him because of his success......It's sad actually but I guess it speaks to the character of the people that do it.

Jim and I had a pretty good laugh about it anyhow. Huntinstuff's name came up in the conversation....
Oh oh......I hid that magazine article after Freddie, Jim B and I had a good laugh about it......

It was well written and a compliment too.....Id have loved to have an autographed copy and presented it to Jim S in Whitehorse that night.....

But he hadn't eaten for 2 days so he wasn't in a great mood ..... at first
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

I wasn't lookin for an article to be wrote about what I said, I was just saying that HATE is a very strong word!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.SheepGuide View Post
I wasn't lookin for an article to be wrote about what I said, I was just saying that HATE is a very strong word!!!!!!!
Based on what he has done, it is very easy to HATE Jim Shockey.....in a nice sort of way of course.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I used to love his humour column that he did in AO. Mungus McPhee I think was the handle.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Based on what he has done, it is very easy to HATE Jim Shockey.....in a nice sort of way of course.
According to him, lots of people do....

Man, that guy had more people following him around the floor of the convention than Bush did. There is definitely a price to pay for his popularity. He certainly handles it all with grace and dignity though. He had the whole family there this time, including his Mom and Dad and kids and Louise's Dad and they have all become celebrities in their own right. It's awesome to see a Canadian reach that status!