Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Trapping

I have another question. Is trapping more of a pastime hobby or can you actually make a living doing it? I'm thinking of perhaps taking up trapping and taking the courses etc.

I imagine in order to make a living you would need multiple trap lines and that in itself would be very labour intensive from start(setting traps) to finish (fleshing/boarding) animals.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM

I would not expect to make a living trapping. To me it is a hobby that can pay for it self for the most part.

Depending on how you go about it you can make a few $ but you will work hard for it. Between expenses and fur prices you are going to need a job besides trapping.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM

I know some guys around here that make a living off trapping, but you need a fairly large trapline to put up enough fur. Also depends on what your life style is like. Some of these guys bring in $15,000-$25,000 in 3 months.
If the weather, a good year of fur, and the market at a high, all happen at the same time.....you are a happy man.

But to be realistic, that is after years of trapping experience and knowing the land and the animals you are after. It's alot like farming, factor in a bad year, plus high gas prices, snowmobile exspenses, and low fur prices.

Still need a summer time job or be self employed.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
I know some guys around here that make a living off trapping, but you need a fairly large trapline to put up enough fur. Also depends on what your life style is like. Some of these guys bring in $15,000-$25,000 in 3 months.
If the weather, a good year of fur, and the market at a high, all happen at the same time.....you are a happy man.

But to be realistic, that is after years of trapping experience and knowing the land and the animals you are after. It's alot like farming, factor in a bad year, plus high gas prices, snowmobile exspenses, and low fur prices.

Still need a summer time job or be self employed.
X2