Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I will respectfully disagree with you. It is not the fault of stores that are robbed. The blame lies solely on those doing the stealing. Stealing firearms should be a mandatory 10 yr or more sentence. That would be a nice start. Unfortunately our legal system (there is no justice anymore) does not place high priority on theft. The time must suit the crime. If robbery gives you a nice income, better in fact than working, then why wouldnt a person of questionable morals not turn to a life of crime

Crime will only stop when the cost of doing it exceeds the benefit of doing it.
Well I will agree with most of this except that it is also partly the stores fault. Yes criminals would be less likely to steal guns of the sentence where more harsh. But that doesn't mean the store shouldn't be held responsible for poor judgement on the security of their firearms. What it boils down to to me is even if where a death penalty someone would still hit an easy mark.

Criminals shouldn't get you but you don't need to make it easy.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Well I will agree with most of this except that it is also partly the stores fault. Yes criminals would be less likely to steal guns of the sentence where more harsh. But that doesn't mean the store shouldn't be held responsible for poor judgement on the security of their firearms. What it boils down to to me is even if where a death penalty someone would still hit an easy mark.

Criminals shouldn't get you but you don't need to make it easy.
The store is obligated to provide legal storage for the firearms, if they have done that, then they are not at fault.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM

As a retailer these shoppes are inspected by appointees from the CFO’s office. Not only is their book work audited, but their storage and display process is scrutinized. If they conducted their storage and display the same way as they did when they were inspected by the powers that be, and if they passed(wouldn’t be open for business) they met and probably exceeded their legal obligations for storage and display.

Quite vilifying the victim of the crime!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Harsher Sentences

I have followed the California 3 strike law in regards to sentencing. This did very little in the reduction of crime but did expand prison population 3 fold.

The criminals related to property crime were acting as if oblivious to the sentencing consequences. When questioned, the responses most often were; "I was so intent on my course of action that any consequences were irrelevant." sources of motivation for the crimes were 1) drugs, 2) gang activity, 3) fear of reprisal from other criminals.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

I don't see vilifying but curious how you perceive those that have had their vehicles stolen when they had improper or no security measures in place? There's such a thing as asking for it too. Shouldn't happen to good people but it does so take ample precautions and err on the maximum side.

As long as stringent display and storage measures were in place I don't see anyone having a beef. If the storage regs for shops need tuning then so be it. I can't envision a group of thieves running out the door with a 1000 lb vault that's been bolted to the floor but maybe I'm overthinking what should be.

How long were the perps in the store? 45 seconds or 25 minutes?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
As a retailer these shoppes are inspected by appointees from the CFO’s office. Not only is their book work audited, but their storage and display process is scrutinized. If they conducted their storage and display the same way as they did when they were inspected by the powers that be, and if they passed(wouldn’t be open for business) they met and probably exceeded their legal obligations for storage and display.

I agree with you Dick, and you words are almost verbatim the words of the owners of Magnum gun Lloydminster.

I am just saying either hide the cookie jar, make the cookie jar impenetrable, or make the cookie jar immovable.

The long and short is nobody needs handguns floating around loose in criminal hands. That is a terrifying prospect. There are too many out there already.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-10-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I agree with you Dick, and you words are almost verbatim the words of the owners of Magnum gun Lloydminster.

I am just saying either hide the cookie jar, make the cookie jar impenetrable, or make the cookie jar immovable.

The long and short is nobody needs handguns floating around loose in criminal hands. That is a terrifying prospect. There are too many out there already.
The problem is locks and vaults only deter the smash and grab opportunistic types of criminals. Somebody hell bent on feeding their addiction or gang lord, with any sort of fore thought will and can defeat most storage schemes. Think Hargreaves in Ontario, or even what Dave Henry went through when his shoppe was in Bentley.

The problem lies with the criminals. Vilifying someone who has passed inspections from the over seers, isn’t at fault. Blame the perp!

This sort of rhetoric makes one sound like a Uber sensitive social engineering zealot, with ties to Ryerson U.
And I respectfully say you aren’t that type Ken.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
That's the 5th gun store that was B&E'd in Alberta that I am aware of within the last 6 or so months. Two in Calgary, Caroline, Lloydminster and now St Albert.
What Calgary gunstores were broken into in the last 6 months?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Nothing to worry about. As soon as they register the stolen handguns they'll get caught. The libs got a fool proof plan.
I doubt they plan on registering them or using them in any legal matter. You don't steal that many guns to sell and use legally. Obviously it will be used for criminal activities or shipped somewhere.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I have followed the California 3 strike law in regards to sentencing. This did very little in the reduction of crime but did expand prison population 3 fold.

The criminals related to property crime were acting as if oblivious to the sentencing consequences. When questioned, the responses most often were; "I was so intent on my course of action that any consequences were irrelevant." sources of motivation for the crimes were 1) drugs, 2) gang activity, 3) fear of reprisal from other criminals.
If the prison pop went up by three fold, then there must be many new criminals as , by math alone, there should be 1/3 the crime as there would be that many fewer criminals on the street?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
If the prison pop went up by three fold, then there must be many new criminals as , by math alone, there should be 1/3 the crime as there would be that many fewer criminals on the street?
You are forgetting about the new generations though.

Birth Rate Death Rate
• 360,000 births per day • 151,600 people die each day
• 15,000 births each hour • 6,316 people die each hour
• 250 births each minute • 105 people die each minute
• Four births each second of every day • Nearly two people die each second

How about that for an eye opener.

That means 360,000 people turn 15, 16, 17, 18 every day. And so on of course.

How many of those are destined for a life of crime?

Birth & Death Rates | Ecology Global Network
www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/
(for the 'link or fake news' trolls)

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I doubt they plan on registering them or using them in any legal matter. You don't steal that many guns to sell and use legally. Obviously it will be used for criminal activities or shipped somewhere.
You don't say.

Here I thought the registration program was so effective I was ready to support long gun registration.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 AM

Canadian stats-

An Introduction to the Study of Population. On the average day, about 1070 babies are born in Canada, and 575 people die.

So ~1070 people a day have a birthday and decide when they are of age, do I go down the narrow straight path, finish school, start a family, have fun work, retire, or do I live off everyone else's back?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You are forgetting about the new generations though.

Birth Rate Death Rate
• 360,000 births per day • 151,600 people die each day
• 15,000 births each hour • 6,316 people die each hour
• 250 births each minute • 105 people die each minute
• Four births each second of every day • Nearly two people die each second

How about that for an eye opener.

That means 360,000 people turn 15, 16, 17, 18 every day. And so on of course.

How many of those are destined for a life of crime?

Birth & Death Rates | Ecology Global Network
www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/
(for the 'link or fake news' trolls)
And let's not forget the refugees that are coming to our country, either legally or illegally.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
He was kidding..... I know him. He was kidding. LOL