Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Pheasant hunting gun

Hi everyone
I am getting into pheasant hunting and am looking to buy a gun on a tight budget. I spent a couple days hiking with a 12 gauge wingmaster and loved it. I’m a small female hunter and found the weight manageable, although I was a bit fatigued by the end of the second day!! I have handled a 20 gauge wingmaster in cabelas, but have never tested one out in the field.

The confusing part is that I have a line on a browning silver hunter semi auto 20 gauge for a good deal too, have handled it but never shot it. It felt good too, more weighted to the back and 1 lb lighter than the 12 gauge wingmaster, similar weight to the 20 gauge wingmaster.

I would also like to use the gun for grouse and maybe geese and ducks one day.

What would you recommend out of the 3 guns and why? 12 g wingmaster, 20 g wingmaster or the semi auto browning? If you have one of these guns for sale please let me know!

Thanks for any advice. Note that I really can’t afford an O/U and they are so heavy I’d probably have to mostly carry it open... reducing my reaction time to flushing birds even more!!

Have a wonderful day!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Default eliminate the 12 gauge right away for small stature

for your stated purpose you dont need 12 gauge.
Semi browning will reduce felt recoil but shotguns are all about fit so if they do not fit you properly recoil doesnt matter. With eyes closed pull shotgun up and point. If your eye is looking perfectly down barrel (rib) it fits. If you have to move around to get proper sight picture it doesnt fit. If you are looking down on rib you will shoot high and if you are looking at back of rib you will shoot under.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:11 PM

Are you hunting released birds or wild birds?

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Both wild and released birds
Old 10-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraylingGal View Post
Hi everyone
I am getting into pheasant hunting and am looking to buy a gun on a tight budget. I spent a couple days hiking with a 12 gauge wingmaster and loved it. I’m a small female hunter and found the weight manageable, although I was a bit fatigued by the end of the second day!! I have handled a 20 gauge wingmaster in cabelas, but have never tested one out in the field.

The confusing part is that I have a line on a browning silver hunter semi auto 20 gauge for a good deal too, have handled it but never shot it. It felt good too, more weighted to the back and 1 lb lighter than the 12 gauge wingmaster, similar weight to the 20 gauge wingmaster.

I would also like to use the gun for grouse and maybe geese and ducks one day.

What would you recommend out of the 3 guns and why? 12 g wingmaster, 20 g wingmaster or the semi auto browning? If you have one of these guns for sale please let me know!

Thanks for any advice. Note that I really can’t afford an O/U and they are so heavy I’d probably have to mostly carry it open... reducing my reaction time to flushing birds even more!!

Have a wonderful day!
Can you try out the guns to see if you can hit with them?
I am assuming you are hunting over dogs
Cat
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM

I wish, but I can’t test out the 20 gauges. I’m at about 80% accuracy with clays and have shot many birds with the wingmaster 12 gauge. Have shot other 20 gauges no problem.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I wish, but I can’t test out the 20 gauges. I’m at about 80% accuracy with clays and have shot many birds with the wingmaster 12 gauge. Have shot other 20 gauges no problem.
The thing is the Browning and the Wingmaster shoot differently for most people that is why I ask
Cat
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Yes, hunting over my Brittany.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B025A1F2-6F4F-4B3D-B6D6-05A7AED04172.jpg (43.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, hunting over my Brittany.
NICE!
I would defiantly look for a 20 gauge if I were you and one that fits
If you can put it up while looking in a mirror with you eyes closed then opening them and checking the alignment in the mirror really helps to determine if the gun fits
Cat
Old 10-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up

For upland including Roosters I Run a semi Auto 20 gauge Franchi Fenice and love it....main reason I hunt with the 20 is so that the meat doesn't get blown away and its light to carry with all the walking....the downer is that it takes 2 3\4" shells only.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

12 gauge auto, gas operated instead of inertia would be my pic especially since you want to get into ducks and geese. The recoil on gas autos is light and many brands can handle 2 3/4-3 1/2 shells. Buy the one that fits you best. They’re all pretty good these days.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 PM

I would go with a gas operated semi auto myself, as recoil with heavy waterfowl loads will be much more tolerable. A 12 gauge is better for waterfowl, but a 20 will do fine at closer distances . The 20 is more than enough for pheasants.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-22-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 PM

My pick would be a 12 ga. auto loader. Loads that are as light as 20 gauge loads are available, the gun will be a little heavier (less recoil), and shells are easy to get. A 12 gauge with a 3 inch chamber is a very versatile shotgun.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Default 20 ga BPS

I have a BPS if you would like to try it. It has the shortened factory stock which might be a fit for you. Not sure of the barrel length, nice wood - I took it as a trade years ago and its been a safe queen. PM me.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:08 PM

IMO, don't get all hung up on the gas versus inertia stuff. Very little difference unless you're pounding 3 1/2" and you aren't going to be doing that with pheasant. Gas are a pain in the arse to clean as well. I have a Beretta 12 G semi so I've got some experience. I hunt with lots of people using 20 G's w/ 3" for geese over decoys too. They get the job done very adequately.

I just picked up a Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge and it's really, really nice. Under 6 pounds, 26" barrel, and has 3" shell compatibility.

Same action basically as the Benelli M2 which makes sense considering Benelli is the sister company.

All I can recommend is you hold one. I don't believe you can buy a better semi-auto for the money and if you can find a used in the $700-750 area it's a real good buy.