Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Default TV Guru's

Anyone here know a bit about the new tv's on the market?

Im looking at getting a 60 or 65 inch smart tv. theres lots of options out there.

budget is around $1300-$1800 and i dont know much about the different technologies between brands.

also, any brands i should avoid?

Ive been looking at some sony's, LG and samsung.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Arrow Buying 'The Newest' can be a big mistake !

Stay away from the cutting-edge/first-generation/newest technology of the day. Let someone else get burdened with all the inherent bugs, and the ridiculous high prices!

Selkirk
Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 PM

I don't watch a lotta tv because the commercials are getting sicker and more frequent every year.

I watch hockey, Forensic Files, and Mayday and that's about it.
Oh yeah, and Ancient Aliens and ghost shows are always good for a giggle when there's nothing else to do.
All that means is my old tube-type Phillips Maganavox is good enough even if it ain't HD and doesn't show the whole picture.

I save a lotta money on tvs. Will you.....?

And I LOVE YouTube!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Anyone here know a bit about the new tv's on the market?

Im looking at getting a 60 or 65 inch smart tv. theres lots of options out there.

budget is around $1300-$1800 and i dont know much about the different technologies between brands.

also, any brands i should avoid?

Ive been looking at some sony's, LG and samsung.
I have found Samsung way on top of the rest.....
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Still going with my first Samsung. Going on 9 years old still going strong.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I have found Samsung way on top of the rest.....
However, the screen has darkened a couple times now and have tried all the settings.....and will not lighten up.....

Any other suggestions.....Lemon TV I purchased?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Had good luck with the two HiSense that I have bought. First one is almost 4 years old and going strong. Not well know in North America but BIG sales numbers globally.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:54 PM

I mostly just watch YouTube and Netflix. Might turn the occasional hockey game on.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 PM

I would say up the budget a bit and go with a LG OLED. No burn in, no burnt pixels or bad LED backlighting, by far the best TV I have ever bought. I have been holding out replacing the living room tv, it is a Sharp Aquos 65" that is 8 years old and it died last week. If the new T-con board I ordered does not fix it up again I will have an OLED in the living room too.
Don't confuse this with the new QLED model, it is just a marketing scheme.
The new tv's are come with a formula;

GOOD
BIG
EXPENSIVE

I have researched TV's for years, buddy is the Manager of the big store here. He tells me what to look for and look out for, has no led me wrong yet.

I have an extra 2016 4k UHD Samsung 55" that I am going to be selling soon as I either buy a new OLED or fix my Aquos, if you don't find something you like.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 PM

I was going to wait to buy an OLED once they become more mainstrem. They are a bit pricey for me right now. I need to buy a scope soon too. Lol
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 AM

Been really happy with LG. I have a 42 and 32 Led. My 42 is at least 8 years old and still working great !
Old 10-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I would say up the budget a bit and go with a LG OLED. No burn in, no burnt pixels or bad LED backlighting, by far the best TV I have ever bought. I have been holding out replacing the living room tv, it is a Sharp Aquos 65" that is 8 years old and it died last week. If the new T-con board I ordered does not fix it up again I will have an OLED in the living room too.
Don't confuse this with the new QLED model, it is just a marketing scheme.
The new tv's are come with a formula;

GOOD
BIG
EXPENSIVE

I have researched TV's for years, buddy is the Manager of the big store here. He tells me what to look for and look out for, has no led me wrong yet.

I have an extra 2016 4k UHD Samsung 55" that I am going to be selling soon as I either buy a new OLED or fix my Aquos, if you don't find something you like.
I purchased a 65" LG OLED last year on Black Friday for about $2000 off of the regular price, and the picture may be just slightly better than my 65" Panasonic AX900 which I have had for a few years. Both have excellent pictures, and I use a Bose sound system instead of the television speakers. I have no idea which televisions are best in the $1300 to $1800 range.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Buy the best

Sony, Sony, Sony Sony.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM

ill be buying a soundbar and subwoofer so the tv speakers are kind of a moot point.

eventually ill get surround sound too.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Buy the best

Sony, Sony, Sony Sony.

I bought all Sony components, TV, DVD, Home theater, receiver, speakers, sub.
Easy to hook up as they all talk to each other, good picture, good sound, never an issue.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Samsung 65" Smart OLED TV with Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 surround sound....
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 AM

I have a 60" Visio 4K, excellent picture I use a Bose surround so the poor supplied speakers are not an issue. Its an American product the smart TV Apps are mostly US based and are not available in Canada it has Netflix, Utube some news but no browser. When choosing a TV take into account room size size and viewing distance too small makes it hard to see detail or too big can give some blurred vision and a headache.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/choose-...ews-24708.html
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Sony, Sony, Sony Sony.
Sony puts out a lot of garbage now too. It was good when components were made in Japan but now it's all Chinese.
They had a known issue when the LED TV's came out and a lot of the TV's that were 1500-2000 were bricked because of faulty parts that were too expensive to repair. Stick with Samsung for name brand or go with Visio for economical.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Sony puts out a lot of garbage now too. It was good when components were made in Japan but now it's all Chinese.

They had a known issue when the LED TV's came out and a lot of the TV's that were 1500-2000 were bricked because of faulty parts that were too expensive to repair. Stick with Samsung for name brand or go with Visio for economical.

My last 2 Sony 60” TVs crapped out just off warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Sony, Sony, Sony Sony.
I purchased a Sony television for my parents, and after three tuners being replaced in seven years, I bought them a Panasonic. No problems in the past five years.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Sony, Sony, Sony Sony.

I bought all Sony components, TV, DVD, Home theater, receiver, speakers, sub.
Easy to hook up as they all talk to each other, good picture, good sound, never an issue.
That's a novel idea that Sony piggybacked on competitors. Pretty much all the companies do that now, if you're willing to buy all the same componentry.

With that said, I would buy Sony. LG or Samsung for me. I have currently have 3 LGs, 32,42 and 55", with the 42" now being 10 years old. Never an issue, still going well, other than the 42 is only 720p.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 PM

I've been researching the heck out of TV's lately as well, looking for something in the 55" to 60" range in a similar price range. It will be mounted on a riverstone rock fireplace so am also looking for thin profile as well.

I found the www.rtings.com website is a good place to start. I also have a subscription to Consumer Reports online and their reviews are great as well.

Here are some of my considerations based on reviews and recommendations

Sony - 55X900E - $1600 - top of the ratings in this price range but a little thicker than others https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-UN55MU...dp_ob_title_ce

Samsung UN55MU8000 - approx. $1600 - great design but falls a little short compared to Sony https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...s00-20&ie=UTF8

Panasonic 58EX750 - $1700 - Amazing specs, 58" instead of 55 - https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX67492 this is the one I'm leaning toward but will visit a big box store and try and lay eyes on all of them. Panasonic is no longer sold in the USA but still has a loyal following in Europe and Asia.

There is also a 55" LG OLED that just dropped to $2500 which I'd like to see as well. Not sure if it warrants the extra $800-900 but if so, I may bite the bullet. I have a 9 year old 52" Sharp Aquos 1080p that's still going strong, but that may get moved into the man cave above the pool table
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I purchased a Sony television for my parents, and after three tuners being replaced in seven years, I bought them a Panasonic. No problems in the past five years.

Panasonic is harder to find a good selection of but they are by far the best quality. I would not be happy with a Korean brand and LG would rank at the very bottom of those, just above the chinese offbrands.

The good old days were when the Japanese had the market.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM

IMO Sony makes garbage these days. Samsung is fine as long as it's not "smart". They're not good at software. Period. The exploding battery thing on their phones makes me wonder about their QC too.

I bought a 70" Sharp Aquos Smart TV from Visions on boxing day 3 years ago. Was $1500. I'm sure it'd be cheaper now... 3 years in and haven't had a problem. Picture is great, the software is flawless, no issues with updates or getting bricked. Sure a pain to move though!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
IMO Sony makes garbage these days. Samsung is fine as long as it's not "smart". They're not good at software. Period. The exploding battery thing on their phones makes me wonder about their QC too.

I bought a 70" Sharp Aquos Smart TV from Visions on boxing day 3 years ago. Was $1500. I'm sure it'd be cheaper now... 3 years in and haven't had a problem. Picture is great, the software is flawless, no issues with updates or getting bricked. Sure a pain to move though!
Sounds like you caught what is likely the last of the better quality Sharp TVs. In 2015 Sharp sold it's North American TV interests (read: Mexican factory) to Hisense. Now Hisense is selling TV's under both brands in North America, and Sharp Japan is suing Hisense for manufacturing a "shoddy" product under the Sharp name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Corporation

The Sharp TV's available in North America today are no where near what they were years ago. My 52" Aquos bought in 2008 was made and assembled in Japan at their flagship Sakai plant. It has been flawless and I'm keen to keep it around just to see how long the thing lasts. It wasn't cheap - I think is was around $2000 back then, but the picture quality and upscaling has been so good, that it wasn't until recently that the newer TVs are becoming a significant improvement over what I have.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I've been researching the heck out of TV's lately as well, looking for something in the 55" to 60" range in a similar price range. It will be mounted on a riverstone rock fireplace so am also looking for thin profile as well.

I found the www.rtings.com website is a good place to start. I also have a subscription to Consumer Reports online and their reviews are great as well.

Here are some of my considerations based on reviews and recommendations

Sony - 55X900E - $1600 - top of the ratings in this price range but a little thicker than others https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-UN55MU...dp_ob_title_ce

Samsung UN55MU8000 - approx. $1600 - great design but falls a little short compared to Sony https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...s00-20&ie=UTF8

Panasonic 58EX750 - $1700 - Amazing specs, 58" instead of 55 - https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX67492 this is the one I'm leaning toward but will visit a big box store and try and lay eyes on all of them. Panasonic is no longer sold in the USA but still has a loyal following in Europe and Asia.

There is also a 55" LG OLED that just dropped to $2500 which I'd like to see as well. Not sure if it warrants the extra $800-900 but if so, I may bite the bullet. I have a 9 year old 52" Sharp Aquos 1080p that's still going strong, but that may get moved into the man cave above the pool table
that rtings site is amazing. so much information, i dont even know what half of it means.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Our tv's have played second fiddle to our home theatre for the past few years (on my second projector setup and love it). However, I would say you have to consider Vizio in the mix. They turned the North American market on it's head when they came out (via their competitive pricing). A 65" 4K at Costco runs $1200'ish I believe, and should compete well with entry level sets from other manufacturers.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:41 PM

Smart TV's can listen to your conversations.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/smart-...io-settlement/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/09/if-y...-settings.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...rfect-way-spy/

This technology was supposedly developed to do exactly that - here's the angle ..... you and your wife are talking about picking up "laundry detergent" or buying "a new car" well .... guess what commercial slots into the next available slot ....

Ingenious marketing actually.

I don't believe they are using it that way (as it's currently illegal) but that's precisely why it was developed.

Unfortunately, it also comes with it's potential pitfalls.

Personally I'm not paranoid enough to care, nor am I planning to deal drugs or have anything else in my life exciting enough to listen into. But, nevertheless, the thought of that technology just doesn't sit well with some people.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM

been looking pretty hard, and from what ive read it looks like the sony xbr900 is the way to go.

its 2300 which is out of my budget, but i can live with it as it should last many years. i think i may have set my budget too low anyways for what i wanted.

next up! sound bars.

the samsung mh450 thingy looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
that rtings site is amazing. so much information, i dont even know what half of it means.

Most of it is about LED's being too bright for darker home theater rooms, worse than other technologies for motion reproduction, and having **** poor viewing angles. Good for watching TV in direct sunlight however.

Ok they didn't say exactly that but that's the story on LED's pretty much. I worked directly for the Japanese for 20 years on the home electronics side and I'm dreading the day my Plasma fails and I have to move to LED or whatever new tech is the rage then. I haven't viewed an LED of any type that can come close to what Plasma can still do.

Heat generation and higher power consumption? Yep. Heavier? Yep. Not caring. Picture is the only thing that counts.