Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 11:24 PM

If Kenny wins - the NDP wins another 4 years.

Kenny is too Trumpish. Trumpish ain’t winning for a long time from here on.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Yup. A Kenny win will divide the conservative and a vote split will ensure a NDP win.

BW
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Kenny is too Trumpish. Trumpish ain’t winning for a long time from here on.
The NDP don't have a snowballs chance. The UPC vote showed that already. You could stick a wax figurine as leader and they will win. And it won't be close
Old 10-21-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Yup. A Kenny win will divide the conservative and a vote split will ensure a NDP win.

BW
Vote split where?!!! The parties united....
Old 10-21-2017, 11:31 PM

BJ
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The NDP don't have a snowballs chance. The UPC vote showed that already. You could stick a wax figurine as leader and they will win. And it won't be close
You’re wrong. Simply because a lot of people like myself will simply choose not to vote if Kenny is leader.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I hope you're right. Rumour has it the old WR are taking with Greg Clark and if Kenny wins they'll switch allegiance. This will split the conservative vote and with a year and a half before the next election the NDP have a good. Hands of surviving for another term.

BW
Old 10-21-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I hope you're right. Rumour has it the old WR are taking with Greg Clark and if Kenny wins they'll switch allegiance. This will split the conservative vote and with a year and a half before the next election the NDP have a good. Hands of surviving for another term.

BW
Nah the trough is too tantalizing for them to split again. There's already a lack of trust and any UPC candidate stands a good chance to belly up to said trough. I wouldn't worry too hard.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
You’re wrong. Simply because a lot of people like myself will simply choose not to vote if Kenny is leader.
I highly doubt "a lot of people" would be naive enough to make a pre meditated move to not cast a vote if Kenny is elected. You said yourself that would split the vote and give the NDP a chance. No way that happens on a large scale. I admire your resolve but, respectfully don't think that would be a wise play
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt "a lot of people" would be naive enough to make a pre meditated move to not cast a vote if Kenny is elected. You said yourself that would split the vote and give the NDP a chance. No way that happens on a large scale. I admire your resolve but, respectfully don't think that would be a wise play.
Again, you were still wrong. You underestimate the antipathy towards Kenny. They won’t vote for Rachel, but they don’t want Kenny to have the reins of power.

I ultimately hope that we don’t have to test that assertion .

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Nah the trough is too tantalizing for them to split again. There's already a lack of trust and any UPC candidate stands a good chance to belly up to said trough. I wouldn't worry too hard.
You may be right, but if Jean loses the leadership race, and retires from politics there will be turmoil and dissention. Don't discount Notleys ability to campaign either. Look at the history of Alberta governments. 95 percent of the conservative members voted to unite, NOT 95 percent of Albertans. There's a huge difference between the two.

If world oil prices remain below 60.00 things won't change much from what we have now. AO is a small sample of Alberta. What happens or is said here stays here.

BW
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM
Banned

Jean talks about a grass roots government but is constantly making policies and presenting them without ever discussing it with members. He is top down all the way and that will not work.

A lot of folks on here should do a lot more research in the next week or so as Kennys ACTIONS are actually reflecting a grass roots philosophy. Do not take my word for it do some research, Kenny has shown it many times.

Jean has acted outside the bounds of the party’s constitution, such as when he decided to unilaterally suspend Derek Fildebrandt from the party, or when he made policy proclamations during the 2015 election debate that hadn’t even been discussed by membership.

We’ve also seen Brian try to dictate policy during this leadership campaign, by releasing detailed policies he supports, again, before the membership has decided. This is what he did while he was leader of the Wildrose, so it’s no surprise he’s continuing that style now, but it’s certainly not what we want in a leader.

Jason has committed to letting membership decide the policy and platform of the UCP. In fact, his 5 point unity plan called for a policy convention before a leader was chosen, so that the leaders could take their cues from membership on policy. It was Brian that insisted the leaders were chosen first, so that membership could take cues from him on policy.

Jean says "grassroots" but his actions are 100% top down. I have seen that in the previous PC government and it was a big part of their demise. It appears Jean has learned nothing from this and I will not support him.

Last edited by bobalong; 10-22-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Banned

It doesn't matter who wins to lead the UCP.....They WILL win and be Premier.

Last election was a protest vote that went horribly wrong, it won't happen again particularly because the vote splitting issue has been rectified.

If you don't vote UCP because your guy lost the leadership race, you might as well vote for the NDP. Shoot yourself in the foot much?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 AM

Absolutely Brian Jean. He has always come across as more honest, more practical, more down to earth conservative.:sHa_ shakeshout:

Kenney seems like he has a typical politician side just waiting to come out.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:05 AM

Jean

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-22-2017, 01:56 AM

Yes please people vote Brian Jean. Look at the property values dropping by 50 percent and still not selling. Alberta is worth billions for many years. Those little towns that are turning into ghost towns almost overnight have been there for a hundred years as many are celebrating centinials every summer it seems. How can a hundred years of existence be erased in two years is beyond me but you are blind to think it isn't time to stand together and vote for a future for your children. Now I know why saskatchewan just sat there and missed out on all that revenue. We are turning into saskatchewan with nothing but low paying jobs in big cities with outrageous housing costs.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

If you don't vote UCP because your guy lost the leadership race, you might as well vote for the NDP. Shoot yourself in the foot much?
It is clear some people would rather risk having a second NDP term than rely on Kenny. Pretty sad.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is clear some people would rather risk having a second NDP term than rely on Kenny. Pretty sad.
I would like to see Jean as Premier and Kenney as inter Governmental affairs Minister and Deputy Premier. Kenney reminds me too much of Jim Prentice. As for the people saying Jean lost to Notley already...he was leader for less than a month and he increased the WR seats, in spite of the hissy fit votes and the vote split...
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Kenney, for certain he can do the job, is capable and knows how.

Inside person's opinion is that Jeans people DO NOT even like working for him.

Jean had his shot, he failed to win the first time. There must be a fresh face or city votes will continue voting the LGBTQZ party...

(Z for Zombies!!!)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Would be good if 90% of folks on here could spell his name right - KennEy.

Jean would be stronger in a general election, folks in the middle really hate Kenney, and you need some of the middle to win an election. Likeability and trustworthiness goes a long way too and Kenney is lacking both with the general public.

So Jean, but I'm guessing the Kenney machine has got the nomination sewn up.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
So you'd willingly help the NDP because you're petulant about Kenny for one reason or another? I've not yet settled my mind on whether I'd prefer Kenny or Jean, but if you don't realize that either are better than Notley and her crew of economic saboteurs then the issue is more about you than it is about Kenny. To me that seems akin to running away with the bat & ball when the baseball game isn't going to your liking, what about the rest of the team?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
So you'd willingly help the NDP because you're petulant about Kenny for one reason or another? I've not yet settled my mind on whether I'd prefer Kenny or Jean, but if you don't realize that either are better than Notley and her crew of economic saboteurs then the issue is more about you than it is about Kenny. To me that seems akin to running away with the bat & ball when the baseball game isn't going to your liking, what about the rest of the team?
^^^ This...whichever one ends up the leader we all better support him, this province cannot afford another 4 years of these clowns. But, it's obvious that some here are staunch NDP supporters and that is their choice....
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Exactly, while I may not trust Kenney as much as Jean, voting for Notley out of spite is just choosing four more years of hardship for Alberta, and a debt that will take much longer to pay off, especially after a few more downgrades in our credit rating.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Well said.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yes.

I prefer Kenney but regardless of who wins, the UCP gets my vote. 4 years of a disastrous NDP government is enough to last me a lifetime.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 AM

The unemployable SJW's who are on every form of social assistance and government aid program that you can think of will be getting out to vote. (I'm not talking about people who are actually handicapped, I'm talking about people who get fired from any job they've ever had and still think the employers were in the wrong).

I used to think I was spending too much time watching SJW's being offended online and that it was skewing my perspective of reality, then I've recently been on a boiler room contract just off Whyte Ave in E-town and sadly the reality there seems to parallel what one sees online! So many people walking around in the 'uniform' of someone who is easily "Triggered!". How that came to be a trend I'll never comprehend, walking around dressed to intentionally offend normal people's senses and then taking offense at the fact that they find you offensive. "Why do you hate me?! There's something wrong with you!". And they can vote, it counts for just as much as any of yours.......
Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Jason Kenney was Harper's "fixit" man. He may come off as a typical politician spewing out buzz words and kissing babies, but he actually get things done. When he was the federal immigration minister, he actually came and talked to the people dealing with the issues and saw what was happening, rather than debate endlessly in parliament. Few weeks later, a VISA requirement was imposed on the citizens of the top 3 offending countries.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Jason Kenney was Harper's "fixit" man. He may come off as a typical politician spewing out buzz words and kissing babies, but he actually get things done. When he was the federal immigration minister, he actually came and talked to the people dealing with the issues and saw what was happening, rather than debate endlessly in parliament. Few weeks later, a VISA requirement was imposed on the citizens of the top 3 offending countries.
Mrs Caber prefers Kenny for this reason, and unlike me she has actually worked full time in politics (Reform, prior to the merger). I'm still on the fence so far as my gut feelings go but I do give lots of credence to her opinions. His previous Taxpayers Federation work also puts him in a strong position in terms of cutting wasteful spending.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM

It's interesting to see people who think Jean is closer to center than Kenney...that's not the public perception I've seen outside of AO. There is a lot of wild rose bias on here.

Jean fought uniting the conservatives. Kenney made it happen. That says a lot.

I would suggest if Jean is leader, the Alberta party gets a huge bump in votes. Anyone drawing conclusions from membership numbers and membership votes is misguided. The majority of Albertans do not belong to a party anymore.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Can't imagine many people are going to miss an opportunity to vote "against" the ndp.