Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 AM

Default 1shot at 5 distances Challenge

It's simple! Just shot a single target, 1 shot at each distance. 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500yrds. This will make a 5 shot group when your done. Any rifle any caliber any bullet. Try to do it consecutively if possible. Might have to go for a drive to find the appropriate place to do the challenge. Have Fun! Hope to post one today.

Best all around target distance between center of 2 furthest holes. Then just a best vertical group where the wind is taken out of the equation.(measure vertical distance only of 2 furthest holes center to center)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:48 PM

Well I'm both happy and confused with my target. I'll start by saying there was a cross wind right to left so I used the far right targets as a horizontal reference point for all shots instead of the center target, so with the wind all shots would all be on paper.

1st Pic. - Shot Predictions (forgot to take picture before shooting so I already took 2 shots.)
2nd Pic. - Actual Points of Impact.
3rd Pic. - 5 shot target of only 500 yard shots take weeks earlier.
4th Pic. - Reticle in Scope.

100 yards - Aimed 0.8 below center line and right off the bat I was surprised that my 100 yard shot was 1.5+ to the left of where I expected, but the vertical was perfect.

200 Yards - Aimed dead on center because I thought I was zero'd at 200 and it too was left of where I expected 1.5 inches and also 1 inch higher than expected.

300 & 400 Yards - For 300 I aimed at the same line as I did for 100 yards but used my first line down or the 2moa line and for the 400 yard shot I aimed 0.5 inch below center line and used the 2nd line down or the 4 moa line in the scope. I couldn't be more pleased. Pretty much touching the line that the 200 yard shot did. Only the wind was spreading my group but the vertical spread was amazingly tight All was going relatively well....

500 yards - Here's where everything goes wonky. I expected my 500 yard shot to be in line with shots 2-4 but another 3-4 inches left of the 400 yard shot but when I walked up to the target I didn't even see it on paper. Turns out it was about 6 inches low and I'm just blind. 😞 I decided to shoot one more 500 yard shot and used my windage lines in my scope to aim 1 moa right of the top right target and used the same vertical aim point. It also was much lower than I expected but approximately where I though it would be horizontally, assuming the wind must have died down slightly or possibly shooter error of 2inches at 500 is quite probable also.

I then compared it to a previously shot target I shot a few weeks earlier and got even more confused. I aimed 3 inches high using the 3rd line or 6 moa Line in my scope and was only 3-5 inches below it. But doing the same thing today I was 8-8.5 inches below my aim point. (Basically 1 moa at 500 lower than expected. I just can figure out what the difference is for such a big difference of 4 inches lower at the same 500 yard distance. Temperature was about 10 deg C warmer but I don't think that would make a 4 inch difference.

Anyways had fun and can't wait to try it again.

THOUGHTS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1359.jpg (45.6 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1355.jpg (40.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1356.jpg (39.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1358.jpg (14.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:25 PM

So I realized I didn't say which caliber or bullet I was shooting.
.204 Ruger
Ammo - Federal Premium 40 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
Rifle - Tikka T3 Heavy Barrel Varmint
Scope - Sightron Siii 6-24x50 FFP

After looking at a wind chart I would say a 3-4 mph wind can make sense of almost all the differences in the horizontal differences, I'm not sure why the 100 yard shot was so far left but I'll take it. 1.7 inches left with a 4 mph wind makes sense at 200 yrds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1360.jpg (19.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1361.jpg (19.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 PM

So the difference in weather of about 27 deg F or about 10 Deg C made a 1.5 inch difference. There is still about 2 inches that have me baffled but I have a theory I will look into more tomorrow. Possibly shooting slightly down hill on the one 5 shot group and on flat ground for the challenge target.🤔
Old 10-15-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm really not understanding how you can "group" 5 shots on 5 different targets, particularly when they are set at different distances.

I'm not an expert, but having trouble understanding how this exercise validates consistency of your rifle/load.

Nice thing is, I might learn something here. Very curious what the result tells you.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm really not understanding how you can "group" 5 shots on 5 different targets, particularly when they are set at different distances.

I'm not an expert, but having trouble understanding how this exercise validates consistency of your rifle/load.

Nice thing is, I might learn something here. Very curious what the result tells you.
Only one target. If you can only hit a target at one range then either your ammo is not consistent or your abilities are off. If you know your load, rifle and capabilities you should be able to hit the same spot on a target at all 5 yardages.

My goal is to be able to hit the same spot on a target at all 5 ranges, something I've had difficulty with past 300 yrds

On my target I learned that :
1) a 3-4 mph wind affects my .204ruger bullet by 1.7 inches at only 200yrds which I didn't think it would because it's a fast round. I still need to check that my zero is correct and it wasn't just off by 1.5 inches. My confusion here is my 100 yard shot was further left than expected also. I'm still learning.🙂
2) I need more work at 500 yards.
3) I was able to hit the same vertical line at 200, 300 and 400 yards with only the wind effecting my poi. Once I get a wind meter I can start to adjust for wind also but one step at a time. To be honest I'm happy to hit paper at 500 right now.
4) For factory ammo this stuff shoots amazing out of my rifle.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. Quit giving me ideas. I trying to take a nap
Old 10-15-2017, 04:33 PM

I'm enjoying this even if I'm the only one to try it. Gonna try again if I have time today.🙂 Gonna see if I can call the wind a bit too. I'm gonna shoot the first shot and then adjust for wind for the other shots accordingly. Might shoot 200 first and then 100, 300, 400, 500 just to make sure my zero is on at 200yrds. My goal is to cover all 5 shots with a 4 1/4 inch clay disc.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Ok the cat and I are awake now and sitting at the reloading bench thinking about it. Howling wind outside. Gonna run some ballistics numbers. And dial up ol’ Gus, the 6.5x55 Mauser. He’s always up for amazing things. This is gonna be fun when we get a chance!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:36 PM

So I tried again and this time I tried to call the wind. Did ok From 100-400 but totally missed the 500 yard shot.😞 I used the 8 moa line and aimmed 2.5 inches below the bullseye but 10 inches to the right for wind. A stronger wind came up and I believe it took it off the page. I aimed at the top right of the target backing with the 6 moa line and it still took it 18 inches across the page. Very tough with no wind meter. On the plus side the first 4 shots were all 3 inches or under from the bull and the 500 yard shot was only 3.5 high of the bull. Once I get this wind thing figured out were in businesses. 😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1376.jpg (37.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.jpg (34.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Not bad, considering the wind!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Wind meter is next on the agenda 🙂
Old 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM

You won't get any 'five shot group' when you're done. That's a measure of consistency (precision) under tightly controlled conditions. Typical multi-shot groups are a good way to see how well your rifle shoots, assuming you always shoot the same way, and to set up it for the season.

But you will get a good indication of how well you can place a first shot at a particular distance (accuracy) with this program. It's much more realistic for a typical hunting scenario. Better yet, it would be good to see how well you can do each one-time shot in various field position, such as kneeling, prone, standing, etc.

Then you'll know what you can get away with in the field for that first (and hopefully only) hunting shot.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
Not bad, considering the wind!
and the pinner bullet
Old 10-15-2017, 11:44 PM

What's a pinner bullet?

If anyone can't understand the terminology in the way I intended or understand what I meant by group, (5 shots on a single target) or just has to much time on there hands (yes I know I used the wrong "their") or is just a fun sucking waste of skin, please refer to my next post.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM

Please refer to my previous post.🤜✋️🎤
Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM

I read through it a few times, I get what you are doing and applaud you for the practice. here's some thoughts...

-You need to be shooting true lasered horizontal distance, on calm days, in order to collect data. Any up/down/wind/variable temp data is irrelevant for now.
-Your version of determining point of aim is wayyy too complex for hunting and imprecise for target shooting. you are going to run into problems at uneven yardages and in field conditions. There is a reason for mils or moa turrets, cronos and calculators. Right now you're flinging lead with an educated guess, which is fun, but won't prove much.
-I'd bet that the ES of your ammo may account for variations at 500
-past 300 is where things go wonky for everyone. That's where variables start showing up. You've learned and recognized this first hand, which is good.

You first need to establish the consistancy of your ammo (chronograph). Then, if its acceptable, come up with a consistent solution for picking a point of aim (id go with 1/4 MOA turrets, its easiest for me to think about). Then plug some numbers into a calculator. Then shoot your rifle a bunch in calm conditions and consistent temperatures, to make sure your actual results match your calculated results. Once you have good accuracy and precision (good groups hitting where you aimed) at 300, 350, 400 and out at 25 yard increments, then redo your test and I'd bet you will be much happier with the results. Horse must go before cart.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM

Ya I hear ya. Hard to get a calm day lately. Even late evenings are windy. Coyote season is close at hand so I do what I can. Not a loaded but this is the most accurate load I have found so far. What's ES? Most shots are 200 and under so this is mostly for fun. What would you consider consistent on a chrony?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:01 PM

I think I may have to try this. I'll post my results when she's complete.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM

I have a friend that does F class competitions and he is going to send a chart that helps you guess wind better without a wind meter.