Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Like most others here have said, I love my Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM. It has a much-needed limbsaver and does have noticeable kick. Super accurate and has plenty of killing power. I've hd it for about 9 years and have put it through the wringer hunting wet rainy and snowy conditions in Ontario and Alberta. It's my first big game rifle and is still my most accurate gun. I oil and clean it regularly but the bluing is deteriorating quite a bit. Whenever I oil it the outside of the barrel, a dark orange hue soaks the wipes... not sure if this is an issue with the original coating or if it's my fault. On a recent float hunt, it was damp on and off for a few days and got pretty rusty where previous scratches exist. Like I said, i dry and oil it after each use, but have also beat the **** out of it. Now considering rebluing it. Get it, but consider the stainless steel version if possible.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 AM

My mistake - I see it's the T3x which is a few notches above the lite, and already has a SS barrel. Nice
Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHunter1 View Post
Like most others here have said, I love my Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM. It has a much-needed limbsaver and does have noticeable kick. Super accurate and has plenty of killing power. I've hd it for about 9 years and have put it through the wringer hunting wet rainy and snowy conditions in Ontario and Alberta. It's my first big game rifle and is still my most accurate gun. I oil and clean it regularly but the bluing is deteriorating quite a bit. Whenever I oil it the outside of the barrel, a dark orange hue soaks the wipes... not sure if this is an issue with the original coating or if it's my fault. On a recent float hunt, it was damp on and off for a few days and got pretty rusty where previous scratches exist. Like I said, i dry and oil it after each use, but have also beat the **** out of it. Now considering rebluing it. Get it, but consider the stainless steel version if possible.
If the bluing is failing look at cerakote instead of reblueing it. Should last a bit longer and you can still get it in a flat color.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Those factory pads are quite firm, but you could easily swap that out for something more effective.

Yeah. Like a brick or piece of cast iron. T3 was a nice enough gun but they cut some serious corners to keep the cost down.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

I believe Sako during the period of the T3 used the same recoil pad. Just with the new T3X and recent Sako's did they change ..and you're right hockey puck forsure