Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Default Hail Damage Repair

So I bought a new truck 6 days ago and last night it gets hail damage when I'm at work. Great. Less than 1000km on it....

My question to all is this:
Have you ever had the paintless repair done and did it look like new again? I want the best possible repair done so I'm trying to educate myself a little before having to deal with the shops and adjuster.

For any bodymen out there, what is your opinion on the "BEST" method of repair?

Thanks,
JCP

Last edited by JCP; 08-04-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM

That's crappy luck for a new truck.

I have no personal experience, but my brother lives in Airdrie and was the victim of one of the big hail storms of recent years. He had is truck repaired at a dentless place, and said he could not tell where the areas that were repaired are.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Banned

I am a bodyman
Depending on the severity, replacing panels is best
That being said some PDR guys are very good, but to a trained eye damage can still be seen. In my opinion replacing as many panels,PDR what can not be replaced and repainting is best.
Hoods, roofs, trunk lids, are usually replaced, and the rest is fixed. Its kind of the lesser of 2 evil's. Most insurance comanies now are using a combination of PDR and fixing it conventionaly. If it was my truck? I would want new hood, roof (depending on severity) and the rest repaired (sail panels, tops of fenders,ect)
Even when a good PDR guy fixes it, there is almost always some painting involved. Hail Sucks it really does.
Unfortuneately your insurance company will decide how it gets fixed. Usually they will use a combination. Somewhere in the fine print it will say.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Exclamation

I too have suffered hail damage to a newer vehicle. In my case, the vehicle was leased, so, not fixing it was not an option.

All but two body panels were damaged in this 2008 storm. The roof of the vehicle was so badly damaged that is had to be removed, replaced and re-painted. The hood and trunk were salvageable.

Total bill to my insurer was $8000+. Shop time was 8 days.

I now ALWAYS carry a fabric car cover and inflatable water wings should I get caught in the open.

-Willy
Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM

my wife and i got caught in bad hail. mine i had bought out and my wifes new Lexus SUV had new roof, hood and minor dent less. we took it to the Lexus approved outfit and it was never the same. be prepared to insist it comes back like new if you plan on keeping the vehicle.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology