Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Dirtbike owners- a question

I recently bought a couple of dirtbikes for my son and I and am now looking for a company to insure them. My current insurance company- TD Meloche monex won't insure the bikes because i don't have my class 6 license. So my question to those of you who own dirtbikes is which insurance company are you using, especially if you don't have your class 6.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 PM

I use royal bank insurance
Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Echlon has good rates for motorcycles and kids quads. If your close to Stony Plain Darson Insurance Services is a good place to deal with.

Meloche Monex is a **** poor company to get insurance through especially if your an acreage owner like I am. Found out that through Meloche I was way under insured on my house and max coverage they will give you for water back up whether it be sewer or from flood water is $15,000. My shop and contents weren't even covered even though I was paying premiums for it.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:31 PM

We have 3 bikes insured with Novex (division of Intact). I have heard TD will only insure a dirt bike if you have a motorcycle licence which makes no sense.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 PM

Intact
Old 08-04-2015, 02:26 PM

Go to a broker that deals with Nordic. Most other places won't insure bikes without your car there too
Old 08-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

royal and sun alliance
Old 08-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-in-Cochrane View Post
Go to a broker that deals with Nordic. Most other places won't insure bikes without your car there too
This. Even with my class 6 I use them, as one of my stable is deemed a race bike so most insurance folks don't want anything to do with it. They also get the rest of my bikes, who's as of right now totals 5 between dirt and street.

Pretty moronic for them to demand a class 6 on something that will never see pavement and doesn't require a license to operate.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 PM

State Farm doesn't care about a class 6 either and they're rates seem to be pretty good.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 PM

Default Saltwater coverage

Make sure you get coverage for saltwater damage in case you want to try this….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI
Old 08-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
Make sure you get coverage for saltwater damage in case you want to try this….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDi9uFcD7XI
How long till you think they come out with a dirt bike surfing kit?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Just wondering if when dirt bike surfing, you tether to the bike (glug, glug goodbye) or have an airbag flotation system? (million dollar idea right there..go ahead and thank me now!)
Hmm, auto-inflate handlebar and seat airbags plus a mini airbag to inflate and seal the airbox-to-carb tube the second you leave the bike? Has potential I think.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
Just wondering if when dirt bike surfing, you tether to the bike (glug, glug goodbye) or have an airbag flotation system? (million dollar idea right there..go ahead and thank me now!)
Hmm, auto-inflate handlebar and seat airbags plus a mini airbag to inflate and seal the airbox-to-carb tube the second you leave the bike? Has potential I think.
Haha unfortunately they beat you to it. Apparently making of the above surfing bike was 2 years in the making, 40-50 bike drownings and an auto deploy airbag system to keep it from sinking to the bottom.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 PM

Intact also
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 PM

I haven't had a dirt bike for several years now, people insure them?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 PM

I went to a broker and was insured with no Class 6 with Nordic or Facility or something of the sort.

I'm with Echelon now but I have my Class 6. And yes, they usually want an auto policy with it as well.

Echelon has the best rates I have found.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Pretty moronic for them to demand a class 6 on something that will never see pavement and doesn't require a license to operate.
People need to BE CLEAR they are wanting to insure an OFF HIGHWAY VECHICLE. (OHV) not a "motorbike" even though it is. You do not need a class 6 to operate a dirtbike so why would they ask for one to insure one? When I called around more then a few companies chose to not hear me say DIRTbike and only heard motorbike and asked if I have my class 6. I had to dumb it down so they could understand the difference between DIRTbike and MOTORbike, one is for ON highway use and one is strictly OFF highway and dosent require a class 6