Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default Fascinated with an inventor of days gone by.

For me, Nikola Tesla is none other. The man was ripped off by Thomas Edison who was looking for someone to fix his generators. Tesla took on the task and was never compensated by Edison. Thus, they became not necessarily enemies, but foes for sure. Edison had wanted to put electrical power into all homes, however it was DC current. Tesla interjected and claimed that alternating current would be much safer. DC current rides a flat line, while AC current being alternating passes through a negative value. Giving anyone one the ability to let go. Tesla went on to work for Westinghouse I believe. Edison being a big baby, forbade Tesla to use his incandescent light bulbs and stated that he should work by oil lamp or candles. Tesla told him to F off and invented the neon tube.....bahahaha. Tesla went on to invent such things that we are too familiar with....the X-Ray, Lasers, and actually the taser gun and a few other things. Tesla also claimed that electrical current could be transferred a distance without the use of conductors. This is something that I've had the opportunity to witness myself. I visited an electrical contractor in Edmonton that has a room dedicated to an actual Tesla coil. Upon visiting this room and seeing the display first hand, I was sold on this man's inventiveness. Tesla was known to be on par in the intellectual level with the likes of Einstein, Hawkins, etc. but in a different field. Just think, these mind blowing intellects were working around the clock with candle or oil lamp power and no computers in their laboratory to test their theories and come up with such incredible innovations that currently affect all of our lives. Stunning, absolutely stunning.

Not only that, but what a great mind boggling travel through history that affects us all nowadays....lest we forget.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Fascinating man for sure.
Imagine how the world would be if j.p morgan did not pull funding when he found out he was working on a way to supply the world with free energy.
As for edison he was more thief and bully then inventor.

Last edited by BANG; 07-11-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 PM

I've read all I could find on Tesla and the man was a genius with very few equals. I often wonder what the world would look like today if he'd been able to complete and put into the public hands some of his idea's and inventions. Power transmitted without wires, electric vehicles without batteries to power them, electricity pulled from thin air...even things like the Tesla turbine seem to have huge potential. Sure could use another one like him about now.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Agree. My brother built a tesla coil from scratch when he was in grade 9 (all self taught). He mail ordered the globe but the rest was all hand soldered and mounted in a plywood box he built. That was before the trend when they became popular to see in gadget shops at the malls.

Before that, I hadn't really heard of tesla.
He was way way ahead of his time!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned

Wow, great to hear that they're are others that know of his accomplishments. A genius for sure.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Banned

The man had so many accomplishments, but died a pauper. So many people today have never heard of him, but every time they flip on a light switch...

He was a dangerous man, dangerous mind but so fascinating. Imagine if he had access to today's technology.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 PM

He also messed around with 'directed energy weapons', but I believe he died before he could test it? Or it just disappeared...? He was a stark raving genius that guy! Way smarter than Edison as far as inventing, but I think Edison was a better business schiester!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Not disputing his genius or his accomplishments at all, but why did he work in the dark if he invented light?

Why weren't his inventions snapped up and promoted?

Why is no one doing anything with this great knowledge today?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Do some googling its pretty facinating stuff.
They say the F.b.i confinscated most research immediantly after his death.
Paranoid about the ability to harness and use immense power falling into the wrong hands i guess?
They say german intelligence stole a bunch a few years before he died so the paranoia may of been justified considering the world stage at the time.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not disputing his genius or his accomplishments at all, but why did he work in the dark if he invented light?

Why weren't his inventions snapped up and promoted?

Why is no one doing anything with this great knowledge today?
Consider that he immigrated from Austria in 1884 at a time that Edison had already established himself.

He didn't work in the dark, he invented the neon tube when Edison banned him from incandescent light bulbs.

Those were different times that which you apply modern questions to.

The term "mad scientist" was coined around this genius of a man.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 PM

Default another poi

something else interested about the feud that edison and tesla had. edison encouraged the goverment to go with telsa's type of current in the electric chairs in hopes that it would scare the public with the dangers of the unsafe telsa current in their houses
Old 07-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Gone Hunting

As I said I'm not disputing the man's genius. I just find it odd that in over a hundred years no one has capitalized on these amazing discoveries.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
As I said I'm not disputing the man's genius. I just find it odd that in over a hundred years no one has capitalized on these amazing discoveries.
It has. But the name Edison has been more of an American Icon than some lowly Austrian douche bag.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 PM

People have been successfull in petitioning the u.s gov to release some of his more obscure documents by forcing there hand with the freedom of information act but the pages are always 90% blacked out.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
People have been successfull in petitioning the u.s gov to release some of his more obscure documents by forcing there hand with the freedom of information act but the pages are always 90% blacked out.
That I did not know. Thank you. Just goes to show you though that if 90% of research information is blacked out, it must contain some unimaginable information that "they" don't want to share.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 PM

Truth is stranger then fiction
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

Only info. that I have seen about some of the great inventors from earlier times came from watching Murdoch Mystery's. Very entertaining and informative show.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zwBRa0YhA

and

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Last edited by rugatika; 07-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 PM

I am also a Tesla fan. The man was a leader of his time and the politics surrounding the 'battle' between him and Edison is fascinating stuff!

I am only slightly embarrassed to admit that I had never heard of the man until one day back in the late 80's/90's whilst rockin' out, I discovered a band named after him. Loved the band but wondered about the man...and after much research, I realized that he may have been one of the greatest minds in recent times. It is truly sad that he has not been treated better by history.

And I also think there would be a fascinating bio-pic for Hollywood to create instead of the crap they pump out now!

EDIT....and boom. There ya go.

http://collider.com/christian-bale-n...a-tesla-movie/

and

http://cinemanerdz.com/the-unbelieva...ms-to-be-made/

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 07-12-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Agree. My brother built a tesla coil from scratch when he was in grade 9 (all self taught). He mail ordered the globe but the rest was all hand soldered and mounted in a plywood box he built. That was before the trend when they became popular to see in gadget shops at the malls.

Before that, I hadn't really heard of tesla.
He was way way ahead of his time!

Globe ? That was a Van De Graff generator. Neat in it's own right, with practical applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

Tesla seems to have made quite a few appearances in movies, think he was in one of the Sherlock Holmes flicks. Once Hollywood finds you, your popularity inevitably rises.

Grizz
Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 PM

No, not that. It was one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_globe

My bro built all the components that power the plasma globe but he had to order the glass ball. You and him would probably get along and talk about all the details.

Building something like this over a hundred years ago must have caused people to think Tesla was into black magic.

Here is a quote from wikepedia:

In U.S. Patent 0,514,170 ("Incandescent Electric Light", 1894 February 6), Nikola Tesla describes a plasma lamp. This patent is for one of the first high-intensity discharge lamps. Tesla used an incandescent-type lamp globe with a single internal conductive element and excited the element with high voltage currents from a Tesla coil, thus creating the brush discharge emanation. He gained patent protection on a particular form of the lamp in which a light-giving small body or button of refractory material is supported by a conductor entering a very highly exhausted globe or receiver. Tesla called this invention the single terminal lamp, or, later, the "Inert Gas Discharge Tube"
Old 07-13-2015, 06:11 AM

Default Jethro Tull

Invented the seed drill, most notably. Was a pioneer for the agriculturalists.
Then, some years later, a rock band was named after him. How cool is that.
Oh wait. I thing a band was names after Tesla also. See. Great inventers have great bands names after them. Was not comparing Tull to Tesla the band, obvisouly no comparison, just the band inventer connection. You guys get it, right?
Tullfan
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 AM

I built a Tesla coil in high school many years ago from scratch too. Scared the beejesus out of my mother. Ha! HA!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

Nikola Tesla is from Balkan, dinarian mountain region called Lika, my mother's family comes from that area. He was in Austria only as a student, at mechanical Institute of sorts, I think.

Tesla has never had an equal, greatest mind of all time. born a peasant and always behaved like that, humble and hard working. He was never interested in profit from his inventions.

Madman, hardly....misunderstood definitely.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 PM

There's some Tesla content in this documentary, though its primary focus is on George Westinghouse. I was surprised to learn the vast array of things he had his hands in, and how he did accomplished it with much more class and honor than Edison ever had. I particularly liked his groundbreaking treatment of his workers as well as how he set up that huge shindig for his fellow civil war veterans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BUpF__h-IY
Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
edison encouraged the goverment to go with telsa's type of current in the electric chairs in hopes that it would scare the public with the dangers of the unsafe telsa current in their houses
Then there was Topsy the elephant as well...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Nikola Tesla is from Balkan, dinarian mountain region called Lika, my mother's family comes from that area. He was in Austria only as a student, at mechanical Institute of sorts, I think.

Tesla has never had an equal, greatest mind of all time. born a peasant and always behaved like that, humble and hard working. He was never interested in profit from his inventions.

Madman, hardly....misunderstood definitely.
Modern day Croatia ...... used to be part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

My Great Great Grandfather claims to have went to finishing (high school) with Tesla in Karlovac - but he was mostly a drunk and liar.