Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Haha, by best one of those was in JHB. The store where I worked as in a large mall-fronted supermarket complex. A lady phoned and said that she had her husbands revolver and there was a probelm with it, could she bring it in? I said sure...

30mins later a pale looking lady in her 50's or so carries in a cushion covered with a towel. The store was empty and I immediately went to help her. She placed it gently on the counter and said "please help me, I didnt want to pull the trigger but cant fix it". Under the towel was a loaded and cocked 2" .38Spl! She had cocked it at home and then realized it was unsafe but didnt know how to decock it. She had driven over and then carried it through the mall balanced on the cushion covered by a towel!
WOW thank god she didn't bump into someone at the mall or hit a speed bump on the way
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

I was WSS a couple weeks back and there was a young fella in there looking at new guns.
He apparently has a 7mm now but wanted something with a lot more punch, a larger caliber, better range, super light, less recoil, ammo that cost about what his 7mm did and off the shelf.
Just your run of the mill sniper quality elephant gun that is feather light, cheap to feed and no more recoil that a sweethearts kiss.
The kid helping him was at a loss over what to do.

I guess in WSS dreams are free but miracles are on back order.

I tried talking to the guy but he had no idea what he wanted.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I was WSS a couple weeks back and there was a young fella in there looking at new guns.
He apparently has a 7mm now but wanted something with a lot more punch, a larger caliber, better range, super light, less recoil, ammo that cost about what his 7mm did and off the shelf.
Just your run of the mill sniper quality elephant gun that is feather light, cheap to feed and no more recoil that a sweethearts kiss.
The kid helping him was at a loss over what to do.

I guess in WSS dreams are free but miracles are on back order.

I tried talking to the guy but he had no idea what he wanted.
Why and Why would even bother????? Go to the store, know what you want. If if don't know what you want, you're no better off than the guy behind the counter. If you even bother to post here, all's you wanna do is make yourself look like a know it all. Most of you guys don't know crap and just wanna pick on someone else that knows less than you, loosers.

How most awesome must one feel picking on a kid that was just recently dropped into the gun department.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Why and Why would even bother????? Go to the store, know what you want. If if don't know what you want, you're no better off than the guy behind the counter. If you even bother to post here, all's you wanna do is make yourself look like a know it all. Most of you guys don't know crap and just wanna pick on someone else that knows less than you, loosers.

How most awesome must one feel picking on a kid that was just recently dropped into the gun department.
I know... I could figure the guy out.
He wasn't rude or anything but he just didn't seem to have any idea of what he wanted.

I don't think anything would make him truely happy though..at any price.
He just didn't seem to understand compromise.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM

I overheard a guy at a local shop ask for high powered lamps to go pitlamping with, unfortunately he was not joking as a select few native bands here on Vancouver Island were 'given' the right to use lights to aid their "hunt" by our spineless government.
I left the store without buying anything, haven't been back since.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Default Cabelas - Difference between a 308 and 30-06

While standing at the gun counter in Cabelas, a guy was asking what the difference between a .308 and a 30-06 was?

The sales guy replied - the 30-06 shoots a bigger caliber bullet then the .308.

I shook my head and had to interject. Sales guy wasnt too happy about it.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtimefun View Post
While standing at the gun counter in Cabelas, a guy was asking what the difference between a .308 and a 30-06 was?

The sales guy replied - the 30-06 shoots a bigger caliber bullet then the .308.

I shook my head and had to interject. Sales guy wasnt too happy about it.

Where do they find these guys?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM

I remember a fella coming into a shop one day looking at used bows. He wanted one so he could get permission on a place. He ended up buying an old steel cabled compound, wrong handed. Didn't care, had to have it, to be able to go get his permission. Don't think he bought arrows either. Never heard how he made out.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I remember a fella coming into a shop one day looking at used bows. He wanted one so he could get permission on a place. He ended up buying an old steel cabled compound, wrong handed. Didn't care, had to have it, to be able to go get his permission. Don't think he bought arrows either. Never heard how he made out.
I think I know of that guy!

Told the landowner he was going to only bow hunt at the landowners request and then gunned a deer with his shotgun and got the entire place shut down to ALL HUNTING....

LC
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM

I was down at the Calgary Shooting Center recently with a couple of co-workers. Long story short, the young fellow working there proceeded to tell us that flat shooting high powered rifles weren't really necessary for hunting in the west, where shots are normally short range. He said they were more common hunting in the east, where shots are longer. I didn't have the heart to embarass him and tell him he had it exactly backwards. He later named off all the rifles he had, all cheaper semi-autos, none of them bolt-action hunting rifles. Suspect he may never have hunted.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
LOL been there.

And if I could edit mine a bit I would too.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM

not a gun counter one but was at WSS to get my tags and asked for whitetail.... girl answered thats deer right?...... needless to say i got my tags elsewhere
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brie21 View Post
needless to say i got my tags elsewhere
Why? Just say "yes" and then buy them. Were you going to ask her for advice? LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Why? Just say "yes" and then buy them. Were you going to ask her for advice? LOL
If they can't hire and train people that have a clue about what they are selling take your business elsewhere.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Has anyone heard the gun counter staff at WSS north say " I'll be with you in a minute".....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 PM

WSS lethbridge
staff showed me a savage whhatever not sure what model in 338
i was just looking at it and he goes:
''you know i got quite few customers per year buying this model, extreme long range "they get a chunk of steel at the scrapyard ,back up about 2,5/3 miles and shoot it all day''
lol
btw. $150 for a box of 20 rounds
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 PM

I overheard a gun counter guy tell a potential customer that the ejector screw on a 303 No4Mk1 was actually a mounting hole for a scope.
I had to bite my tongue....
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Banned

I once read a post about a Tikka T3 that had a bolt closure issue compared to a LE bolt heaf not being screwed in all the way. No name mentioned, but there was no gun counter involved.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
I once read a post about a Tikka T3 that had a bolt closure issue compared to a LE bolt head not being screwed in all the way. No name mentioned, but there was no gun counter involved.
Moral of this story is that most clowns reside on "this" side of the counter. Althoug no one is willing to talk about that.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I know... I could figure the guy out.
He wasn't rude or anything but he just didn't seem to have any idea of what he wanted.

I don't think anything would make him truely happy though..at any price.
He just didn't seem to understand compromise.
What he wants is a lazer blaster from star wars. Light, flat shooting with a big wollup. Should have sent him to lazer quest or toys r us.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM

Apparently cape buffalo are so tough that if you shoot them in the head at 20 yards with even a 500 nitro the bullet will literally bounce off them!

Overheard at an optics counter in a large outdoor store....guess the guy didn't make the cut to sell firearms

LC
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I once read a post about a Tikka T3 that had a bolt closure issue compared to a LE bolt heaf not being screwed in all the way. No name mentioned, but there was no gun counter involved.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
What he wants is a lazer blaster from star wars. Light, flat shooting with a big wollup. Should have sent him to lazer quest or toys r us.
Naw he was a nice enough guy...just a bit of a woosie and indecisive.
I suspect that like so many others...he had friends that were eager to tell him how to spend his money... that or he learned everything in a book ro magazine.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I overheard a gun counter guy tell a potential customer that the ejector screw on a 303 No4Mk1 was actually a mounting hole for a scope.
I had to bite my tongue....
Actually, I think there might be some truth in that. There's a type of base that does use that hole as a fastening point. You just have to replace the ejector screw with one that's longer to compensate for the thickness of the mount.

It might be the original method they used to attach a scope to a no4mk1(T) but I'm not sure.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Actually, I think there might be some truth in that. There's a type of base that does use that hole as a fastening point. You just have to replace the ejector screw with one that's longer to compensate for the thickness of the mount.

It might be the original method they used to attach a scope to a no4mk1(T) but I'm not sure.

The No4Mk1 sniper rifle uses a different front base and the mounting holes are further ahead of the original ejector screw hole.
Some sights do use the ejector screw as you mentioned, but the ejector screw has never been used as a scope mount that I know of. I have been shooting the Enfield for over 40 years and I have yet to see it used as a scope mount. I guess "bubba" could find a use for it......
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
The No4Mk1 sniper rifle uses a different front base and the mounting holes are further ahead of the original ejector screw hole.
Some sights do use the ejector screw as you mentioned, but the ejector screw has never been used as a scope mount that I know of. I have been shooting the Enfield for over 40 years and I have yet to see it used as a scope mount. I guess "bubba" could find a use for it......
Not the military version, but here it is.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sun-Optics-USA-.../dp/B002GCEO7U
Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
Not the military version, but here it is.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sun-Optics-USA-.../dp/B002GCEO7U
Quote:
Sun Optics USA Collectible Military Scope Mount, Smle Mk III .303 Caliber, Receiver Mount
[...]
- Fits .308 caliber only
Hmm... a scope mount for a .303 that only fits a .308. Seems like a good thread to post that link in.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Not at a gun counter but it has to count.

"i have the mossberge 4x4 in the 270 and i have sighted at 200 yds but at the range i can hit out too 500 with no compensation aim and shoot no drop shooting ave to check the damage at 6000160g bullet ,i woudnt shoot a animal at that range with it though becouse i dont think it have the impact to drop him with one shot ,the 270 is straight out to 600 and flat havent tried but you have to check the impact couse at 600 it probaly hits like me thrown a grilled cheese at ya might burn but it wont stop"
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Like Albert quoted once 'Genius and stupidity have only one thing different, in that Genius has it limitations!'