Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 AM

I will say this, since joining the UCP I have received a lot more emails from Jason Kenney than I have from Brian Jean(1). I am still undecided though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I will say this, since joining the UCP I have received a lot more emails from Jason Kenney than I have from Brian Jean(1). I am still undecided though.
So what do you take away from this?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think I'm at about 72,000 from each. Somewhere in that ballpark anyway.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM

I like Brian Jean more than Jason Kenny, but I think Jason Kenney is a better choice, for a career politician he has very little scandals and seems to get things done. I just can’t see Brian Jean doing well at the federal level. Either way I will be voting for who ever wins.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Any buddy but Kenny. If Kenny wins there will be a huge crossing to the Alberta party and the NDP will win again! Kenny is the wests version of Jean Chrétien.

BW
Why would they?

Please elaborate with 3 top reasons.

My mind is not made up. I am seeking input is all.

Keep it real and with supportive facts. I am a facts guy.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why would they?

Please elaborate with 3 top reasons.

My mind is not made up. I am seeking input is all.

Keep it real and with supportive facts. I am a facts guy.
The crowd on here - no way the NDP will win! Landslide.

Remember Jimmy Prentice, do you really want another federal politician from Ontario running Alberta?

Voters are fickle.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Default Typical politician is a poor excuse not to vote Kenney.

Could someone please give me some examples on why Jason Kenney can not be trusted.
Some policies he may have supported that were bad for the people of Alberta?
I just can't think of any off hand.
There are a lot of people on here that do not trust him and I would like to know some facts as to why.

To me he has always been an attack dog who will hold Albertans interests first.
Besides just about everything the liberals have criticized Kenney on in the federal government I've agreed with Kenney.
But that's just my opinion and I would like to hear other opinions as to why he is not to be trusted.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 10-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Question What about the Third Man??

So, you are aware there are THREE candidates??? I decided early on to vote for Doug Schweitzer and I still plan to do so. My opinion of Jean plummeted after that fiasco with the Wild Rose deficit and I find Kenney unappealing and too smug. Schweitzer is young, smart and does not come with any baggage.

http://www.dougschweitzer.com

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Could someone please give me some examples on why Jason Kenney can not be trusted.
Some policies he may have supported that were bad for the people of Alberta?
I just can't think of any off hand.
There are a lot of people on here that do not trust him and I would like to know some facts as to why.

To me he has always been an attack dog who held Albertans interests first.
But that's just my opinion and I would like to hear other opinions as to why he is not to be trusted.
I think what you will find is that Jean had lots of support on here, still does, but over the past few months it has been revealed that Jean is not really what he portrays himself to be. He wants to run the UCP the way he wants, and has revealed that on many occasions and is not really to much of a grassroots guy.

Many people have now realized that and are uncomfortable with it so they attack Kenney to try and convince themselves that Jean is still the best choice, knowing deep down he is not.......
I think Jean is a good guy and cares about Alberta and its people. Many feel that is enough but when you start to believe that you know what is best for everyone without asking you have started down the slippery slope.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So what do you take away from this?
That Jason Kenney thinks this is the way to win votes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I think what you will find is that Jean had lots of support on here, still does, but over the past few months it has been revealed that Jean is not really what he portrays himself to be. He wants to run the UCP the way he wants, and has revealed that on many occasions and is not really to much of a grassroots guy.

Many people have now realized that and are uncomfortable with it so they attack Kenney to try and convince themselves that Jean is still the best choice, knowing deep down he is not.......
I think Jean is a good guy and cares about Alberta and its people. Many feel that is enough but when you start to believe that you know what is best for everyone without asking you have started down the slippery slope.
"and has revealed that on many occasions and is not really to much of a grassroots guy. "

Do you have a source for this? I am interested.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 PM

"Remember Jimmy Prentice, do you really want another federal politician from Ontario running Alberta?"

He may have been born in Ontario, but I think he did his growing up in the Prairies. Having a premier that knows how to deal with the federal government would be advantageous to Alberta. The Liberal government is not very fond of Kenney.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:45 PM

For those Brian Jean fans;
read the Jason Kenny Bio, You'll find he's already accomplished more for Alberta than Brian could ever begin to. And if you lived through those times you know it's true. Don't risk another NDP government, or a wishy washy UPC gov't, We need the best UPC government and we need it now.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Yes I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
So, you are aware there are THREE candidates??? I decided early on to vote for Doug Schweitzer and I still plan to do so. My opinion of Jean plummeted after that fiasco with the Wild Rose deficit and I find Kenney unappealing and too smug. Schweitzer is young, smart and does not come with any baggage.

And that is exactly why Doug'y has no chance to win the leadership race is because no one knows much about him and if people don't hear his name it won't be remembered on the ballot.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:

This guy or my support goes to the Alberta Party. No more old school political slugs.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:07 PM

Kenney I believe is smarter and more talented. The fact the Liberals loathe him is a positive in my books
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
"and has revealed that on many occasions and is not really to much of a grassroots guy. "

Do you have a source for this? I am interested.
Just google, they are easy to find. The fact that Jean has developed his UPC policies without any input from the grassroots is a big one, that one alone confirms to me that he feels he knows what is best without "grassroots" input....I won't support that. He has racked up a huge deficit almost doubling his staffing, there are many others.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Kenny.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Just google, they are easy to find. The fact that Jean has developed his UPC policies without any input from the grassroots is a big one, that one alone confirms to me that he feels he knows what is best without "grassroots" input....I won't support that. He has racked up a huge deficit almost doubling his staffing, there are many others.
Well I did try googling it. I couldn't find any reputable source on the internet stating that Jean is developing policies without input.

I found this from the Edmonton journal: "At the time, Jean laid out a few requirements for the new party — it would have to preserve the Wildrose’s grassroots-focused framework, that all members be “treated as equals,” and that members would decide the name"

Here is my source

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...tart-on-monday

Last edited by Heyupduck; 10-22-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
In that case, Doug is a shoe in, I've gotten zero from both the Kenney and Jean camps, and 16 "I'm with Doug".
Old 10-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Is it working

I don't have a problem really with Kenney as a politician but I like Brian better as a man.

After the debates I got emails from those involved saying they had won the debate. All winners not a mutt in the bunch.

I like a two horse race for an election. More than that seems to muddy the waters and then the backroom deals get made and ideas and ideals get compromised.

Like someone else said I'll vote UCP regardless of who the leader is.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

I've made up my mind that Schweitzer is definitely my second choice at least. I also know Kenney is my last. I have not decided whether Brian or Doug will end up on top of my ballot; I like that Doug understands that Albertan's, although most are fiscally conservative, they are not socially, and if the Policy Convention has policies that even have a hint of the hard conservatism on social policies, the UCP will have a difficult time forming a government.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I think I'm at about 72,000 from each. Somewhere in that ballpark anyway.
That’s a Conservative estimate, and another 20,000 from their friends
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I've made up my mind that Schweitzer is definitely my second choice at least. I also know Kenney is my last. I have not decided whether Brian or Doug will end up on top of my ballot; I like that Doug understands that Albertan's, although most are fiscally conservative, they are not socially, and if the Policy Convention has policies that even have a hint of the hard conservatism on social policies, the UCP will have a difficult time forming a government.
My take is that the majority of those who will actually vote are centerist on social policy and a bit right fiscally.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Jean and Schweitzer have both released platforms - but Kenney hasn't? Why?

This merger was a mistake - and with Kenney at the helm, I suspect 4 more years of NDP. Basically down to 2 parties in the next election, and it's going to be a unproven ragtag PC party to boot.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Doug would roll back minimum wage almost 20%. I would say that would put him close to non-electable range. I cannot see young millenniums voting for this.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Jean and Schweitzer have both released platforms - but Kenney hasn't? Why?

This merger was a mistake - and with Kenney at the helm, I suspect 4 more years of NDP. Basically down to 2 parties in the next election, and it's going to be a unproven ragtag PC party to boot.
How was the merger a mistake? If Kenney loses the leadership race then what? Does he take his traveling bag and leave town.

Look at how many politicians who have run for office in the last 10 years, both provincially and federally who beat the drum that they were bleeding maple syrup. Canada could not survive without their dream. They could not survive without Canada their homeland from sea to sea to sea.

Where are those dedicated Canadians like Ignatief, Dion, Mulcair, fast Eddy, Redford, Danielle. Who was that prov liberal doctor? and where did he go?

Two parties suits me fine. Either or.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
So you'd willingly help the NDP because you're petulant about Kenny for one reason or another? I've not yet settled my mind on whether I'd prefer Kenny or Jean, but if you don't realize that either are better than Notley and her crew of economic saboteurs then the issue is more about you than it is about Kenny. To me that seems akin to running away with the bat & ball when the baseball game isn't going to your liking, what about the rest of the team?
Not willingly but I won't be responsible for casting a vote that helps an angry used car salesman get into power. I'll vote for Jean in the leadership and the general election if he wins. I'll vote for Schweitzer in the general election if he wins the leadership. If Kenny wins, I simply won't vote. If Notley gets back in it won't be because of my vote but because the "conservatives" of Alberta keep going back to the same old tired trough of PC insiders. I don't believe one single word that comes out of Kenny's (or Notley's) mouth. That choice is like the choice between Trump and Hillary -- do want to crap myself to death or puke to death. I choose neither. It's up to all you hard core "any conservative is a good conservative" folks to then make sure that you give me one I can support. I'm not picky but I'm not buying Kenny's Kool Aid. He gives me the "no" feeling.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-22-2017, 07:55 PM

I'll take Brian Jean over a parachute Eastern based candidate any day.

The harassing phone calls from the Jason Kenney campaign are very telling....ask to be removed and they almost double.

LC
Old 10-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Jean talks about a grass roots government but is constantly making policies and presenting them without ever discussing it with members. He is top down all the way and that will not work.

A lot of folks on here should do a lot more research in the next week or so as Kennys ACTIONS are actually reflecting a grass roots philosophy. Do not take my word for it do some research, Kenny has shown it many times.

Jean has acted outside the bounds of the party’s constitution, such as when he decided to unilaterally suspend Derek Fildebrandt from the party, or when he made policy proclamations during the 2015 election debate that hadn’t even been discussed by membership.

We’ve also seen Brian try to dictate policy during this leadership campaign, by releasing detailed policies he supports, again, before the membership has decided. This is what he did while he was leader of the Wildrose, so it’s no surprise he’s continuing that style now, but it’s certainly not what we want in a leader.

Jason has committed to letting membership decide the policy and platform of the UCP. In fact, his 5 point unity plan called for a policy convention before a leader was chosen, so that the leaders could take their cues from membership on policy. It was Brian that insisted the leaders were chosen first, so that membership could take cues from him on policy.

Jean says "grassroots" but his actions are 100% top down. I have seen that in the previous PC government and it was a big part of their demise. It appears Jean has learned nothing from this and I will not support him.
Jean has already said he'll follow whatever policies the members come up with. Has also put out what he believes, and would like to see in new policy. Kenney has said where he stood on things in the debates, but hasn't put pen to paper and said this is how I personally view things. I'd like to select a leader who's view, I know lineup with my own.