Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Alberta Gunstocks - New Norway

A couple of fellows bought the duplicating gear from Mr Trace and are carrying on making stocks.

Had them make me one that was for a Right hand Anschutz 54 Match Repeater, but in left hand shooter. To do this they had to use from the back of the trigger guard forward of the existing model 54 right hand stock for the inletting and the front of the new stock. To do the back, he used an almost identical stock I have for a left hand action model 64 Match. In other words, a lot of measuring and jigging around to match up the two different pattern stocks to make one new one.

I have to say I am really impressed with the quality of the work. The new stock turned out great. I am working on final inletting and then will finish the stock and everything is lining up just the way it should. That is a heck of a feat when you used two patterns.

Now don't mistake these stocks for 100% inletted, drop in stocks. There is still a LOT of chisel, rasp and sanding to finish the inletting, and then a bunch more to finish to outside of the stock. You need to be good with hand tools to take one of these on and get it to come out looking good.

They supplied a decent stick of Walnut, will finish up nice with decent grain and figure, and did the inletting for $250, all in. That is a hell of a deal because outside of that I was going to have to go with a McMillan or something of the like and they start at $500 and go all the way to over a $1,000 for an Anschutz factory stock.

These are NOT a Boyd's drop in but if you need something that is not easily available elsewhere, and you have a pattern, these guys do good work.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 PM

do they have a website?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
do they have a website?
No website. Very low tech in a good old fashioned way. For example, not setup for EMT but will take cheques. I picked up my stocks, and Bill's wife didn't know what the final cost was. Called him, a couple of days later, verified price, put cheque in the mail. Don't see that very often anymore.

Bill did the stock I got done. To answer a couple of PMs, I am not connected to the business in any way, other than having been a customer when Mr Trace had it and being a satisfied customer of the new owners.

Their contact info.

Alberta Gun Stocks
Bill Landals 780-608-4364
Rick Zeiser 780-679-7421
Box 157 New Norway T0B 3L0
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Really appreciate the contact info.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Default stocks

I believe that I talked to these guys at the Calgary gun show, its definitely nice to have some options.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM

People have been asking for info on getting stocks duplicated so thought I would bump this thread as Alberta Gunstock is still one of the better ones I know of. Ig others have ones they like please add them to this so they come up in a search.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Good to know. These guys are in my back yard, but I would have never known. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM

I had a stock duplicated by Alberta Gunstocks about three years ago.
They do good work and the price was right but as Dean2 said, be prepared to do some fit & finish.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 PM

Since some asked, pictures of the finished stock that was duplicated. I don't have any pictures of the stock before I started working on it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Saw a number of stocks Mr. Trace had done. He had some very nice blanks and I was sorely tempted to have him do one for me.