Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Banned

Default Sometimes it pays off

Sometimes you live to regret passing on an animal, but sometimes it pays off.

I got lucky this time!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Sometimes you live to regret passing on an animal, but sometimes it pays off.

I got lucky this time!

Great looking moose! Your thinking good things happen to people with patience, Good on you! I can tell you it does not always end that way!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:21 AM

I have passed lots of animals, sometimes it’s because of the warm weather and not wanting to deal with it. Sometimes it’s because of where it is and not wanting to get it out of there. Sometimes it’s because I would like to see what they will become next yr. sometimes it’s just being lazy ...
it’s crazy what u will see when you get out of the truck n walk into the bush .
Last yr I passed up 4 legal rams, and a 140/150” WT
Probably should have took the deer because I haven’t shot one sense 2010.
But I wanted to see what he’d turn into, but someone else’s tagged him that yr
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Banned

My first time hunting alone, I was in the bow zone on property I had permission on. I had a cow elk tag. It was early in the season, late September or early October. I had a group of 40-50 elk in front of me but it was raining and cold, the fog had rolled in. Even though I was within 40 yards, all I could see was the lower body, nothing above the shoulder. By the time I could see them well enough to make them out they were at 70 yards and on the other side of the fence where I didn’t have permission. There was a few good cows and giant bull. If I hadn’t of been cheap and just gone for the cheaper cow tag I would’ve had an elk on the ground.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

Here's a funny elk story.

I was watching a huge herd of elk with a friend of mine, a nice 6x6 bull was with them, I'd guess around 320ish. My friend really wanted me to take him, I on the other hand didn't feel like dealing with a bull elk in -32 with 40km winds so there was no way I was going to shoot him that day.

Then we see these two old idiots drive up and start shooting and they drop a big cow elk. Turns out I know them! "Can you give us a hand?"

-32, 40km winds from the north, middle of a wide open field, 2 old guys with bad backs watching my friend and I gut and load this cow elk!

At least they dropped off a 60 of rye that night...
Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

A few years back, last day of the season I had a chance to fill my WT tag with a little basket racked buck, but decided to let him go because it was early in the morning and you never know what you may find next. About an hour later and a couple of miles away, I found this guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00692.JPG (55.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Perdaniente View Post
A few years back, last day of the season I had a chance to fill my WT tag with a little basket racked buck, but decided to let him go because it was early in the morning and you never know what you may find next. About an hour later and a couple of miles away, I found this guy
...and this is why we have stories of passing up shooters...........so that we may get a pig like this one. Congrats.
Couple of years ago I began a new formula for getting a big one - I will shoot anything bigger than any I have gotten already. I figure If all goes well and I go up 5 inches at a time, I'll get that 175 WT in 3 or 4 years - if I see one.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Never Again

Couple years back, hunting for WT's. I say 3 decent bucks on opening day, I decided against taking a nice basket buck. As my buddy was going to come out later that season, for his first time hunting and I told him I would help him out. Need less to say those were the only deer I had an opportunity to shot all season. He did manage to get his first WT doe on the last day of the season. So in the end I guess it all works out
Old 11-08-2017, 05:03 PM

I've passed on a lot of bucks some pretty decent, hoping to get that banana tined gnarly buck. Haven't shot a critter in 15 years or so, no regrets yet. can't get a big one if you shoot ones that aren't..
Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Yup I’ve passed on some dandies. I passed on an easy 175” just because I knew there was a 190 class in the area. It was pretty hard to do.
Trail cameras can be a blessing or a curse.
I have a minimum and swear by it.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 PM

I passed on a shooter whitetail this morning. Didnt want to end my season just yet. Kinda kickin myself now but knowing that the best days are yet to come helps a little. Fingers crossed, that that decision pays off.