Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Danner Hunting boots

Curious if anyone has any feedback with Danner boots for hunting?

Looking at the elk hunter series:
https://global.danner.com/men/hunt/e...rown-400g.html

or the powderhorn series:
https://global.danner.com/men/hunt/p...rown-400g.html

What insulation do you guys like for November temps?

Don't mind spending the cash if the product is going to last.

Other suggestions appreciated as well.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 PM

They are awful. No support, horrible blisters.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Banned

They are great. Very comfortable.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM

They don't fit my wide foot very well, I know a fellow who loves them, boots are a very personal thing,
I be looking elsewhere, 4-4.5 lbs per boot is fairly heavy, that's thousands of lbs of weight, if your on your feet all day, esp if your in steep country.
No problem, if your fit and used too, wearing a heavy work boot, but heavy boots and fatigue go hand in hand,
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM

I've got the elk hunter, I like them, it did take awhile to break them in and they are a bit heavier however.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 PM

I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns about 5 years ago and they've become my "go to" boot since. They work great for the type of terrain that I hunt, and I havent had sore feet since I bought them. Prior to that i tried Rocky and Hanwags, I definitely prefer my Danners.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Like any gear; the one that fits the best is your favorite.

As for the Danner, and my wide feet, they fit me great and I really like them.....The down side is that they squeak when you get them wet. And the squeak is gone when dry.

I called Danner on this issue and typically, they denied the problem.

Thinking it was me, I asked a LEO friend of mine as they are issued the Danner; he said the same thing.

It is not a real loud squeak from 10' away but it is there. However, I still wear them and they fit me great.....wouldn't wear anything else.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Banned

Theyre not a heavy stiff mountain boot but are great all round hunting boots.
They come in D or EE widths and a bunch of models so you can usually find a set that works for you.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 AM

I've been wearing Danner for years. A pair of Canadians and a pair of Mountains. They take some Break in but thay are comfortable, tough and waterproof. Be assured, they are not a Winter boot but serve well in most conditions. Keep them conditioned and you can't go wrong.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Banned

I have a pair of elk hunters now for about 15yrs, maybe longer. Love them. Had to get the soles re-stitched a couple years back, but once they’re broke in they’re hard to pass up. I have a pair of Canadians as well but I like the soles on the elk hunters better. I have the insulated ones and I use them all year long. The moisture wicking of these boots is increadible. No matter how warm it is I never get sweaty feet, and after 15yrs they are still 100% waterproof. I have a pair of Meindl hikers and a pair of Meindl Alaskans but usually reach for my elk hunters.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:41 AM

Default USA made only

Have used a few Danner boots. Really like the Canadians. They did bring in Chinese made boots at one point...and perhaps still do I cannot say right now. They were/are about half the price of their US made boots. I bought a pair and they were disappointing. Stick to the made in USA stuff and you will be happy.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM

I have some pronghorns, 3 years so far they have been pretty good. If I am moving in the winter my feet will not get cold. But if I am walk and then stop for a while they will. But i just throw a hot pocket in there
nd they are perfect. I think I have the 400 gram ones.
I think the only diff in grams is how high the boot goes up your chin.

The only other think is to make sure you condition with some mink oil or something. They are water proof but the outer layer can dry up after a while and hold water and then it freezes.

Other than that if you keep them conditioned they are the best boot I have used hunting.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Not sure if they still make them, but I have the Danner Canadian’s, and they’ve been the toughest boot I’ve owned. Fit me great, but that’s always a personal thing.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Default Danner

Buy a pair of hanwags you won’t be disapoointed
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 PM

I tried one pair of Danners, they leaked, and took a long time to break in.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They are awful. No support, horrible blisters.
x2 .I tried out a couple pairs and never in my life will they go on my feet.

Every ones feet are different,but for me there history.You couldn't give me a pair,but I have friends that really like them,so boots are something that are a personal choice for your feet.

Last edited by JD848; 07-14-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Default Breaking in a pair of boots

I am sure everyone has their own pet way of breaking in a pair of leather boots whether they are for hunting, work, cowboy etc....even a baseball glove.

Boots;
I fill them with hot water and let them set for a minute or two. I empty the water out, then I lace them up and wear them all day. Yes your feet get a little wet. I dry the boots overnight and repeat the same process (water and all) for 3-4 days.
At the end of that time, the boot is form fitted to your foot. No blisters and a beauty fit.

FYI, it is best to do this well before you actually need them.

Baseball glove;
Put the ball where you want the pocket and wrap it up tight and soak it in a bucket of water.
Remove it and let it sit in the air for several days until it is dry. Unwrap it and start working on it.

I am curious to hear of other personal processes?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:06 AM

I have been wearing danders for the last 25 yrs. Have never had any that were built better or was more comfortable. When you buy them and they fit properly there is no reason any boot should hurt your feet.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I am sure everyone has their own pet way of breaking in a pair of leather boots whether they are for hunting, work, cowboy etc....even a baseball glove.

Boots;
I fill them with hot water and let them set for a minute or two. I empty the water out, then I lace them up and wear them all day. Yes your feet get a little wet. I dry the boots overnight and repeat the same process (water and all) for 3-4 days.
At the end of that time, the boot is form fitted to your foot. No blisters and a beauty fit.

FYI, it is best to do this well before you actually need them.

Baseball glove;
Put the ball where you want the pocket and wrap it up tight and soak it in a bucket of water.
Remove it and let it sit in the air for several days until it is dry. Unwrap it and start working on it.

I am curious to hear of other personal processes?
That sounds kind of terrible... I get a hair dryer and blast them with heat. Once they are hot I put them on and walk around for a bit.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
x2 .I tried out a couple pairs and never in my life will they go on my feet.

Every ones feet are different,but for me there history.You couldn't give me a pair,but I have friends that really like them,so boots are something that are a personal choice for your feet.
Yes! Quality is one thing. But if it doesn't fit your foot, it's not worth it's weight in gold.

You should have about half an inch of room from your longest toe. Your foot spreads as you walk so need space.
Maybe a bit more for really thick socks but not so much that the bend of your shoe when you walk is up your shoe lace loops.

The sides of your shoe should also have a little play in widest section of your foot for spreading. But not so much that you can squish down the edge.

Also your heal, when laced up properly should not move before your shoe moves when walking.

Arch support is definitely nice but some need it more than others.

It is always a good idea to walk around the store or in your house for a while in the shoe before it can't be returned to see if it feels good on your foot
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
That sounds kind of terrible... I get a hair dryer and blast them with heat. Once they are hot I put them on and walk around for a bit.
Hahahaha, funny as it is, I have being doing it that way for as long as I can remember.....50 years.

Never thought of the hair dryer.....rather than wet, feet I have sweaty feet....lol... I will try your method the next time.

Do you recall the length of time it took...1, 2, 3 days??
Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:29 PM

I have two pairs Danner Gila & Pronghorn (800g insulated). Both have treated me well. The Gila has done well in the mountains, but I am considering something stiffer. No blisters or foot pain in either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM

I had Danner's for work as an LEO in rural AB. They were comfortable but they fell apart within a year, sole came off. I switched to Hanwags, wore the Special Forces for a couple years, loved them. I was issued the Alaskans shortly after, and was not looking forward to breaking in a new pair of them. It didn't take long and now they are my work boot all year, and my hunting boots in the fall also. I will likely never wear another pair of boots. They are $$$ at $500, but so worth it. I wear mine roughly 250 days of the year between work, hunting, camping etc. They have put on miles from the NWT border in the north, to the foothills, and the US border in the south. Still waterproof with regular care and maintenance, and still as comfy as always. Highly highly recommend the Hanwag Alaskans if you are looking for a good boot.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 PM

Pro- Very waterproof even after several years.

Cons: Zero ankle support.

Sole too thick.'

Sole plugs with mud & difficult to clean.

For the money I paid never again.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Anyone ever try Schnee's?

https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/#product-tab-reviews
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 AM

For comparison sake, it would be good to know if those who found Danner Boots to be "less than great" would dfferentiate whether their particular boot was an Danner import or a Danner original " .. made in US . A big difference.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:46 PM

I wear pronghorns sometimes, they do have sizing issues. I find them to fit slightly smaller. I wouldn’t buy them again and much prefer the Meindl perfekt hunters from Cabelas.