Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just to clarify, the homeowner was not the one that refused to come out, he apparently did as he was told, and came out immediately, and according to him, he offered to phone his brother to tell him to come out, but the police officer refused to let him use the phone.

It sounds to me like firearms were being pointed at the homeowner and his wife before the brother refused to come out, even after they were face down with cuffs on, so it's pretty naive to think that firearms would not have been pointed towards the children, regardless of when the brother brought them out.
Regardless of the situation I would definitely not want a bunch of of nervous cops pointing guns at my children or wife.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
And that's based on lack of knowledge. People are blaming LEO's for stuff that is out of their hands.
It wasn't that long ago that there was mutual respect between LEOs and regular folks. Why do so many calls, especially with the RCMP, involve guns being drawn and pointed at people's heads? It never used to be that way, all the time. The police used to be accountable for their actions, now it's hit or miss.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I'll disagree with this part, the longer a situation goes on, the more it escalates. While yes, they may still of had guns drawn, it may not have been 12 officers. My mentality would be, the longer he stays in, the more it looks like he's hiding (or planning) something. Remember they may (or may not) know this family from a hole in the ground.

Yeah. IDK, we weren't there, we're basing it off the HO's recollection.

The interesting part of this all, is the charges were not posted? Were they firearms related?
Yes it may have been 8 or 10 officers instead of 12 if the brother came out immediately, but the firearms were being pointed from the start, so some would have been pointed towards the children.

As to the charges, according to the police report they were provincial, not federal, so that does narrow it down a bit, they obviously didn't believe that the neighbor was being intentionally shot at, and it wasn't for the careless use of a firearm.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Banned

2 people were charged with shooting wild life is what the police said.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
It wasn't that long ago that there was mutual respect between LEOs and regular folks. Why do so many calls, especially with the RCMP, involve guns being drawn and pointed at people's heads? It never used to be that way, all the time. The police used to be accountable for their actions, now it's hit or miss.
lol.. Used to be accountable? you're kidding right, they are more accountable now that ever. Especially with every joe public videoing every interaction with them.

i'll agree the gap is widening, but that is from the misplaced distrust in LEO's vs the legal system.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
lol.. Used to be accountable? you're kidding right, they are more accountable now that ever. Especially with every joe public videoing every interaction with them.

i'll agree the gap is widening, but that is from the misplaced distrust in LEO's vs the legal system.
They're more accountable because of video cameras everywhere.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
2 people were charged with shooting wild life is what the police said.
See how easy words get twisted...

Quote:
The situation was resolved by provincial charges being sworn against two different adult males who were identified as shooting wildlife on the property.
https://www.canadapolicereport.ca/20...ts-fired-call/

Doesn't say what they were charged with, just that two people who were shooting wildlife were charged.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's too bad all officers aren't required to wear body cams, there would never be any doubt as to what happened in any situation. But then again , do the police really want everything they do while on duty being recorded? Just look at how video effected the Vancouver airport incident.
i saw a report on this last winter and they ran multiple scenarios where what was caught on the body cams , did not show the whole story and in some cases the body cam footage distorted the truth .
they are a good idea , but not the be all end all , much like lie detectors .
Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM

So what about Mrs Speedyfinger who started
This whole kerfuffle? Should she get her fingers slapped or
just walk away snickering at her mischief?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
So what about Mrs Speedyfinger who started
This whole kerfuffle? Should she get her fingers slapped or
just walk away snickering at her mischief?
This is the question that needs to be addressed!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM

So if the two guys in the field were shooting at the neighbour as she claimed, then why were they not charged with attempted murder? If that neighbour was able to get a good look at the men and give a description to the Police, then there should be shots against the side of the house.

If the Police believe that she is lying about it and decided to use the Police as retaliation for her dog getting trimmed up, then SHE should be charged with filing a false police report and should be sued by this man for the distress she caused to him and his family.

You would think that Police Officers could use problem solving skills in many of these cases and recognize that people in the country have firearms and that people shoot recreationally and at animals. Instead, they respond with full force, escalate situations, and put people in harm's way. I'm sure that the first couple of cops on scene would have been told by the two guys out in the pasture that they were shooting gophers with .22's and that should have been the end of it. I think that many of the new crop of cops love being able to intimidate people and to break out the hardware whenever they are able to justify it.

Btw, since when did it become a crime to: "Shoot Wildlife On Property"? Sounds to me like they are grasping at straws and wanted to lay any charge they could think of in order to justify their actions. Seems odd that they don't want to make any further comment considering the video that's out there. If the man is lying, then why are they just letting it all slide and making their statement about: "keeping everyone safe"? I don't think that I like the idea of a bunch of cops pointing their rifles at me and my family for our safety....
Old 07-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
This is the question that needs to be addressed!
Why? That's a civil matter. If HO feels he was wrongfully targeted and his name was dragged thru the mud, he can for sure sue her. It's a long shot, unless there's underlying history (which there probably is). But I doubt the HO will.
He's hoping for a gofundme windfall.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Why? That's a civil matter. If HO feels he was wrongfully targeted and his name was dragged thru the mud, he can for sure sue her. It's a long shot, unless there's underlying history (which there probably is). But I doubt the HO will.
If the allegations she made are false or exaggerated, you don't thing she should be charged, and the charges made public to help put some of the rumors out there go bed? Especially considering the alleged incident involving dogs?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Approach the situation in a civil manner? Let's see, shots fired, and people refusing to come outside.

Slow down there, you’re chargin just as hard as these freaked out cops!

Shots fired!!!! Everyone run around arrest anyone you see!!! It doesn’t matter that we don’t know who was shot at, where they were hit or what the description of the perps is, just arrest everyone!!!

Was there? Who was hit? Where are the bullet holes? Where are the guys with the guns who were shooting?

First off, he saw cops at his neighbors and thought the cops were there. Then he gets a phone call from the police to come outside, which he does. By the way they are freaking out surely there must have been blood everywhere. Don’t bother using common sense, don’t bother trying to asses the situation, don’t bother getting a description of the perps and full details of what transpired before chargin in guns a blazing.

Sorry man, I don’t hate cops, I just hate stupid people period. These cops were stupid and I really hope they get held accountable for their actions. Watching on the news today, there’s a video of a cop curb stomping a guy, then slaming his head into a block wall while he’s in cuffs. Another case of a cop who can’t control himself or the situation.

You’ve already got this civilian painted as a criminal for crying out loud!!!! That’s absolutely unfounded, zero evidence to back any of that nonsense up, just a feeling.....

The neighbor needs a good asskickin if you ask me. It’s one thing to claim you heard gun shots, it’s a whole new level to claim you’re the one being shot at, an outright lie. She had her dog running lose in their yard and got attacked by their dogs, all on video, obviously something she wasn’t aware they had but luckily they did.

It’s one thing to secure the area, what they did was extremely excessive.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Do you know the situation beyond what the internet says. Why are you so sure he is after a go fund me windfall? I am not amused with how you are jumping to conclusions in your posts. Also the usage of hyperbole and inflammatory rhetoric towards David.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:32 PM

How far away are the neighbors? close enough for ricochet from a rimfire? Many questions unanswered I only made it halfway through the video far to much drama a legible account from both sides would be required to understand what really happened.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Your definition of SJW is horribly wrong, FYI.
Is it ever.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
And that's based on lack of knowledge. People are blaming LEO's for stuff that is out of their hands.
Some people are blaming the police for what our legal system has become, and that is unfortunate, but other people have lost trust in the police because of incidents like the Vancouver Airport incident, where the officers killed someone and lied about it, or because of the High River incident where police officers damaged homes and illegally took firearms from some homes, or because of incidents such as the officer that was just charged with assault today, for his assault on an intoxicated ,man in Slave Lake, almost two years ago. There seems to be more and more incidences of improper or illegal actions by police these days, and with the media today, more people are aware of this.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM

might have to start wearing those body cams like the usa...
Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Funny how Calgary PD is dragging their feet on body cams. Why?

Because now all the sudden the officers will be ultimately responsible for their actions. Tapes don't lie, unlike some LEO. That's also why they get real ansey when you record, or say you are going to record encounters. Now the testimony of a lying cop doesn't hold water.

I'm not saying all cops are like that, but there is a percentage that are d-bags. Just like any profession.

Add that onto an attitude that some have that they are above the law, and you have instances of police abusing their authority.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
bashing the RCMP.

No, I’m bemoaning how the force has degenerated.

40 years ago, the RCMP was viewed as a pillar of the community. Rowdy teenagers were often told “You can take this ticket for stunting, or you can join us for three Wednesday evenings for floor hockey at the school gym.” After three evenings, the kids no longer wanted to cross their ‘buddies’ and usually behaved very well. One member carried a bottle opener, he’d make an underage kid caught with (a no doubt precious) case of beer open it and spill it - and tell him “Next time you won’t be so lucky!”.

One NCOIC started a firearms safety and handling course (with air rifles, and later .22s for the older kids) for kids on Saturday afternoons. Every Saturday the one kid who impressed him the most got an RCMP cap - those caps were envied and the kids tried their damndest to get one. The range was flooded with kids (and dads) every Saturday!

The detachment had a counter, not a bullet proof glass, and members were local sources of information - where’s there a good spot to camp, or to eat? Where’s there a good fishing hole? Can you help me renew my FAC? People turned to the RCMP as friends, instead of avoiding them as adversaries. In smaller communities strangers coming into town very often made their first stop at the detachment to get ‘squared away’.

That, in my opinion, was respectable and honourable police work. How long has it been since you’ve regarded a police officer as someone to turn to, instead of someone to avoid?
Maybe the best explanation I've seen yet. We used to pump iron at the high school with the RC's, no gym in town in those days. Respect all around, cops didn't power trip & the youth & young adults respected them. The blue wall has done more harm to policing than any other single thing.

I still believe Alberta needs a provincial force, the RCMP can have an office in Calgary & one in Edmonton.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Banned

theres an article in the edmonton sun on this... not much else changed from what was known. Guess the 2 gopher shooters were charged with hunting in a dangerous manner while the brother who came out of the house last was charged with obstruction.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
theres an article in the edmonton sun on this... not much else changed from what was known. Guess the 2 gopher shooters were charged with hunting in a dangerous manner while the brother who came out of the house last was charged with obstruction.
https://calgarysun.com/news/provinci...edown#comments
Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 AM

If he had surveillance video of the dog incident then he should have surveillance video of the whole thing. Hope he posts that as well. I bet those cops are patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Morons.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
If the allegations she made are false or exaggerated, you don't thing she should be charged, and the charges made public to help put some of the rumors out there go bed? Especially considering the alleged incident involving dogs?
So should David be charged if his allegations towards the RCMP are False?

Yeah.. Right..
Old 07-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Slow down there, you’re chargin just as hard as these freaked out cops!

Shots fired!!!! Everyone run around arrest anyone you see!!! It doesn’t matter that we don’t know who was shot at, where they were hit or what the description of the perps is, just arrest everyone!!!

Was there? Who was hit? Where are the bullet holes? Where are the guys with the guns who were shooting?

First off, he saw cops at his neighbors and thought the cops were there. Then he gets a phone call from the police to come outside, which he does. By the way they are freaking out surely there must have been blood everywhere. Don’t bother using common sense, don’t bother trying to asses the situation, don’t bother getting a description of the perps and full details of what transpired before chargin in guns a blazing.

Sorry man, I don’t hate cops, I just hate stupid people period. These cops were stupid and I really hope they get held accountable for their actions. Watching on the news today, there’s a video of a cop curb stomping a guy, then slaming his head into a block wall while he’s in cuffs. Another case of a cop who can’t control himself or the situation.

You’ve already got this civilian painted as a criminal for crying out loud!!!! That’s absolutely unfounded, zero evidence to back any of that nonsense up, just a feeling.....

The neighbor needs a good asskickin if you ask me. It’s one thing to claim you heard gun shots, it’s a whole new level to claim you’re the one being shot at, an outright lie. She had her dog running lose in their yard and got attacked by their dogs, all on video, obviously something she wasn’t aware they had but luckily they did.

It’s one thing to secure the area, what they did was extremely excessive.
Slow down there cowboy..

You guys really need to give your head a shake (you've already bought into the SJW koolaid this guy is feeding you, so you won't understand).

A gun was (allegedly) shot at civilians. RCMP are following protocol. Secure scene. End of story. That's what they were trying to do. Doesn't matter who is at that property, they are detained, until the scene is secure.

You guys really have no idea how law enforcement works. I'm done here.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder if the charges that did result, were to appease the neighbor. Obviously even the RCMP didn't believe that anyone was shooting at her, or there would have been criminal charges. In any case, now that she has duped the RCMP into participating in her feud with her neighbor, I wonder how long it will be, before she tries something similar again? As for the RCMP, I guess laying charges at least gives some credibility to their part in the entire incident, it would be embarrassing to admit that they were duped into a high risk takedown , over a petty feud between neighbors.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
So should David be charged if his allegations towards the RCMP are False?

Yeah.. Right..
Not sure where you're coming from, but I think that anytime someone lies to the police, about the police, or when the police themselves lie, it's serious business because it's messing with someone's life, possibly long term.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Slow down there cowboy..

You guys really need to give your head a shake (you've already bought into the SJW koolaid this guy is feeding you, so you won't understand).

A gun was (allegedly) shot at civilians. RCMP are following protocol. Secure scene. End of story. That's what they were trying to do. Doesn't matter who is at that property, they are detained, until the scene is secure.

Is that how law enforcement protocol works? Call a guy who peacefully surrenders a retard? Purposely destroy his property? Let his kids run around naked through a supposed “crime scene”?

You have no clue, same as the attending officers that evening. A bunch of inflated ego rookies with little to no common sense. They heard gun, that’s all they needed to run rampid with no recourse for their actions. Had there been an officer in charge that actually had some expirience and common sense, this never would have made headlines.

I was at a residence that was surrounded and raided because of an alleged abduction. A friend and his drunk girlfriend were at a store in Lac La Biche when she started getting belligerent so he put her in the car and started to drive back to the cabin. She was so wasted she tried jumping out of the car while they were driving down the highway (I was behind them and saw him reach over and yank her back into her seat). Apparently someone else saw it as well and called the cops. I assume they followed us back to the cabin.

By the time we got to the cabin she must have had a mood swing because all was well. 10 minutes after getting to the cabin we were surrounded. Cops came in, asked if there was any firearms to which we said no, but we never thought that the handgun on the kitchen table counted because it was a pellet gun. Things got a little loud, guns were drawn and they asked why we said there was no firearms. We let them know it was a pellet gun, they verified it, asked a bunch of questions, mostly directed to my friend and his wasted girlfriend, then we all laughed and had a great evening. Nobody was arrested, crime scene was secured, nobody was hurt, a job well done by the law enforcement and a lesson learned.

The exact same approach could have been taken in this scenario. The cops could have gotten enough information from the complainant to do their job in a professional manner. They did not, and if they did this is even worse than I thought.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Slow down there cowboy..

What is SJW