Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 PM

Default Trophy Antelope around Oyen area.

I’ve been 999’ing my trophy antelope for the past 15 years and have recently decided to put in for it this season. Any tips or advice for hunting them around the Oyen area? Draw results aren’t out yet for antelope but I’m assuming I’ll be successful with 15 years of priority.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Nope

No antelope there.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 PM

What WMU?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finndawg View Post
what wmu?
160, 162, 163, 164, 166
Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM

Contact the Fish & Wildlife Officer from Oyen. He is very knowledgeable and friendly.

In 2004, i had a nontrophy tag in those zones. Saw more antelope near Hanna, but they were very skittish. We got one there, but had to head East a long ways before we found more and I got mine. Seemed the herds were very scattered. Big country. Scouting likely in order. Never did make it to Oyen.

I did hunt around Oyen in 2011, I do not recall seeing much, if any antelope, but I wasn't looking for them either..
Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Contact the Fish & Wildlife Officer from Oyen. He is very knowledgeable and friendly.

In 2004, i had a nontrophy tag in those zones. Saw more antelope near Hanna, but they were very skittish. We got one there, but had to head East a long ways before we found more and I got mine. Seemed the herds were very scattered. Big country. Scouting likely in order. Never did make it to Oyen.

I did hunt around Oyen in 2011, I do not recall seeing much, if any antelope, but I wasn't looking for them either..
You'll kill a goat for sure but ya these are most certainly not the most populated zones.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:41 AM

I am drawing that tag this year as well! I helped my cousin get his in those zones last year and we saw quite a few good bucks. Pretty excited to get out on that prairie again with a tag in hand this year!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Good luck gentlemen and make this hunt what you want out of it. some scout for days and burn a ton of fuel and some show up the day before and have just as great of a hunt. If I can provide one pointer is to take your time and really get to enjoy this hunt and the prairie landscape. Its a 6 day season, I will almost guarantee that 75% of all the speeders taken are done in the first day, let alone the first 1/2 day. From there on you will almost have the whole country side to your self. It will be tougher to get on them as most herds have been shot at, but you will not be dealing with the gong show that can be opening morning. Grab some game bird tags, waterfowl, and have some fun while your out there. I was drawn last year and the only let down was being at home with my wife and kids yelling at me on Tuesday after the hunt started and I could have been in the prairies enjoying that great landscape for another 5 days. Take your time and enjoy what the area has to offer. good luck and shoot straight.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Good luck gentlemen and make this hunt what you want out of it. some scout for days and burn a ton of fuel and some show up the day before and have just as great of a hunt. If I can provide one pointer is to take your time and really get to enjoy this hunt and the prairie landscape. Its a 6 day season, I will almost guarantee that 75% of all the speeders taken are done in the first day, let alone the first 1/2 day. From there on you will almost have the whole country side to your self. It will be tougher to get on them as most herds have been shot at, but you will not be dealing with the gong show that can be opening morning. Grab some game bird tags, waterfowl, and have some fun while your out there. I was drawn last year and the only let down was being at home with my wife and kids yelling at me on Tuesday after the hunt started and I could have been in the prairies enjoying that great landscape for another 5 days. Take your time and enjoy what the area has to offer. good luck and shoot straight.
Appreciate it man!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 AM

Bonedogg, what an awesome response. That's what hunting and fishing is all about, the adventure. Life is so busy in our society. Even enjoying the chase for 1 more day and reliving the experience leaves us with so many more memories than just the kill. Good on ya!!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM

I had a tag out that way a number of years ago. There were actually more big bucks in the 160 zones than we saw in the 150 zones. Not sure if that was a one off or normal. We saw most of the antelope around Youngstown. But they do move around quite a bit, so they are where you find them. I don't think it's worth it to scout for a week ahead of time, but that's just me... as they are in the rut they tend to move around a fair bit.

Good luck, and yes as previous poster said there's no need to rush. Take some time and enjoy the beautiful country.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Grandson n Daughter will be assisting me, also in that area, assuming I get drawn. I would add; "enjoy the folks you meet", I have found the Ranchers / Farmers to be salt of the earth, and great folks to get to know!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
But they do move around quite a bit, so they are where you find them. I don't think it's worth it to scout for a week ahead of time, but that's just me... as they are in the rut they tend to move around a fair bit.
This is not true, pronghorn have quite a small territory. When they get to their summer range. I’m watching pronghorn right now that have been around since May and I will continue to watch them right up until the season opens.