Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Default Pine coulee trout fishing

Hi Everyone,

I will be heading to Pine Coulee Reservoir on Friday, I was wondering if you guys could share with me a couple tips for fishing there. Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Bottom bouncer with a worm. Should get a few walleye or pike
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM

How is the walleye fishing from shore? Been a few years since. Have been down there. Was thinking of taking my kids tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM

What walleye? I've been a few times in the last couple years and it seems to be void of walleye now they let people keep them. I'm sure there are probably some roaming around somewhere in there but they eluded me.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:01 PM

Don't forget it is now a stocked trout lake and walleyes are whatever is leftover and hasn't been caught or died from old age.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Don't forget it is now a stocked trout lake and walleyes are whatever is leftover and hasn't been caught or died from old age.
I caught several small maybe one yr old walleye last week. Was very happy to see them as it tells me they are still re-producing. Also had no issues with the 2 of us catching our limits of walleye. You just have to get out and find them, they are not schooled up so get the bottom bouncers out and go for it. They have not gone anywhere and the small amount of trout they released in the fall on 17 are not growing or being caught by anyone I know.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM

Another walleye lake slowly been killed in the south. I would be happy if they didn't stock the trout in here. Why don't they stock some perch. At least the kids can enjoy fishing.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I caught several small maybe one yr old walleye last week. Was very happy to see them as it tells me they are still re-producing. Also had no issues with the 2 of us catching our limits of walleye. You just have to get out and find them, they are not schooled up so get the bottom bouncers out and go for it. They have not gone anywhere and the small amount of trout they released in the fall on 17 are not growing or being caught by anyone I know.
A 1 year old walleye is about 5 inches long ! Must have been using pretty small hooks.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 PM

The problem with this lake just like McGregor and cvr and travers is that the fish are not growing in these waters. 10 years ago these lakes you could catch 5 to 8 pounders. They are still there but vary few. These fisheries should have gone to a slot size so the reprocessing fish would stay in the lake. All the walleye lakes close to big citys need to be watched closer fishing pressure and poaching along with no slot size killed these lakes. We are now seeing it with the pike population in these same lakes. Catching good size walley or pike has become a thing of the past.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 PM

There are always going to be a few survivors but the stocked ones are at the end of their life and what is left will be the odd ones that grew big enough and survived.
I do know pike have done well and with 30,000 trout stocked I am sure many became dinner. I guess time will tell what this mess they created ends up at.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Sorry i just realized it was more like 20 25 years ago when these lakes produced fish l8ke that

Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
The problem with this lake just like McGregor and cvr and travers is that the fish are not growing in these waters. 10 years ago these lakes you could catch 5 to 8 pounders. They are still there but vary few. These fisheries should have gone to a slot size so the reprocessing fish would stay in the lake. All the walleye lakes close to big citys need to be watched closer fishing pressure and poaching along with no slot size killed these lakes. We are now seeing it with the pike population in these same lakes. Catching good size walley or pike has become a thing of the past.

I got a 10.25 lb walleye at CVR today
Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
I got a 10.25 lb walleye at CVR today
Wow nice fish.....ya like i said you can still get them but not like 20 years ago...

Old 07-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
Wow nice fish.....ya like i said you can still get them but not like 20 years ago...

I've been going there for 10 years and I find it getting a bit better. I think they've got some good patrols going out at night catching poachers.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
A 1 year old walleye is about 5 inches long ! Must have been using pretty small hooks.
Actually I do use small hooks. (8) Helps when you are getting nothing but very small bites that you cannot seem to hook up. You might want to try it sometime and that is my lesson for today.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 PM

Wink

Quote:
Actually I do use small hooks. (8) Helps when you are getting nothing but very small bites that you cannot seem to hook up. You might want to try it sometime and that is my lesson for today.
Works awesome when you want to catch small fish...
Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 PM

Tip for pine coulee. Try anywhere else not the same lake it was before the opened the walleye up.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243dude View Post
Works awesome when you want to catch small fish...
Seems like someone knows not too much about fishn walleye. you a shore fisherman by any chance
Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 PM

A good trick most people either don't know or think of so if you don't.....big fish do not always want big baits/hooks. Sometimes in the tough days of summer you are better to work smaller hooks/baits and fish slower and finesse them and you will have more luck.

Don't always chuck out the monster baits and hooks when things get tough try smaller and see if you get action. It does not always work but you may be surprised when it does and what you catch.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
A good trick most people either don't know or think of so if you don't.....big fish do not always want big baits/hooks. Sometimes in the tough days of summer you are better to work smaller hooks/baits and fish slower and finesse them and you will have more luck.

Don't always chuck out the monster baits and hooks when things get tough try smaller and see if you get action. It does not always work but you may be surprised when it does and what you catch.
And that is lesson 2 for today.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:30 PM

Sorry to necro a thread, but better than starting a new one. Anyone actually catching trout here? I fish this reservoir often and seem to catch the usual suspects without fail but the bows are eluding me. Not looking for spots, just want to see if others are catching. Most I chat with haven’t either. Feels like they made a wonderful feast for the pike. Seen trout pics though that I question.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:53 AM

I watched a few kids catch two about 8" just off the dock this past fall.

last winter while ice fishn on the south end I did see a few swim by my hole and show no interest in what i was offering which was smelt for a big not yet caught pike.

A friend fishes the trout a lot and he uses a small spinner on a sinking line and trolls arouond 1.6 to 1.8 mph has had decent luck on the south end
Old 12-23-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I watched a few kids catch two about 8" just off the dock this past fall.

last winter while ice fishn on the south end I did see a few swim by my hole and show no interest in what i was offering which was smelt for a big not yet caught pike.

A friend fishes the trout a lot and he uses a small spinner on a sinking line and trolls arouond 1.6 to 1.8 mph has had decent luck on the south end
Thanks Troller, was about to throw in the towel for trout in PC, this gives me hope.