Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Banned

Default Pierce lake?

Was thinking about trying out pierce lake, was wondering if anyone has any expirience fishing it and how the fishing is? I’m not asking for your hot spot (but I’ll take it if your offering) I just want to know in general how it is.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Fished it a few times. Pike are good in Home Bay area. Caught lakers in shallow water in the far West side of the lake near the inflow of the Cold River. But that was in early June, so I expect them to be deeper by mid-summer.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Fished it a few times. Pike are good in Home Bay area. Caught lakers in shallow water in the far West side of the lake near the inflow of the Cold River. But that was in early June, so I expect them to be deeper by mid-summer.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave. I’m set up with downriggers and a depthfinder, it’s a lot smaller than fishing cold lake though, I’m just wondering what kind of depths it has.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Have had luck on east and west end river for jacks. It’s a real deep lake like cold lake.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Here is a depth chart
I caught a 3 lb trout just out of Howe bay in 40ft of water aprox
At early july
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 810220D7-A03D-4B08-96C8-71F9E05B6B88.jpg (30.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM

fishing is good, lots of hungry trout. I use the big silver original rapalas or some guys have good luck with the anchovy rigs.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
fishing is good, lots of hungry trout. I use the big silver original rapalas or some guys have good luck with the anchovy rigs.
How many feet of water do you look for and how deep do you fish them? I was doing good fishing 70ft deep in 100ft of water at cold lake last weekend.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 AM

it fishes about the same as Cold. Look for the bait balls on your sonar and set your down riggers accordingly.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM

I have never seen a lake that has so much bait. The sonar was packed with bait. Pretty hard to catch fish with a lure when there is so much food around. In 4 days we landed 12 fish.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have never seen a lake that has so much bait. The sonar was packed with bait. Pretty hard to catch fish with a lure when there is so much food around. In 4 days we landed 12 fish.
That was our experience last year as well. We have fished it every year. Always produces some fish - but last year was tough with all the minnows - literally millions and millions of them in there.

Fishing techniques are the same as cold lake except the average laker seems to be much smaller in pierce.

Lapine holds walleye and pike. Always pretty good in there.

The main lake, Pierce, is where the lakers hang out.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Had really good luck casting and trolling original silver floating or suspending rapalas for pike in 8 to 20ft of water near structure. One hint for Pierce - get some bright orange paint and paint the front half of the silver rapala's belly. I had a knock off silver rap with the orange belly and it outproduced by brother-in-laws regular silver rap 2 to 1.

One other thing to check on with Pierce is turnover (although I think it should be done now). The lake nearly shuts off completely during this time.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 PM

That's good, sound saskatchewan fishery management for ya. Lakes full of fat healthy fish that require a little more thought than throw a minnow down to a starving fish and throw the same fish back 5 times in two hours. I think alberta is on the verge of major restructure of the whole system with our new government. One can only hope. We shoulda never let that 3 over 63 or one over 50 happen. We are better conservationists than that. Now all the breeding stock is gone and absolutely zero concern about restocking native fish that were basically wiped out to provide a catch and release walleye fishery in lakes where they didn't belong in the first place. Meadow Lake PP is a classic example. Albertans have been hitting those lakes ruthlessly since the mid eighties and I think the fishing has gotten better if anything. Just because you can keep a stringer full doesn't mean everybody does. The baitfish and general health of the lake says a lot about if there is a balance. If you got tons of predators and no food it's trouble and very hard to recover. If you got lots of feed and decent fishing still you gotter dialed in.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I just putt around 60 ish feet of water, catch lakers, head closer to shore or go down the lake under the bridge to another little lake and it's loaded with pike...fart around the point and there are eyes too....pink lady, a few spinners for glitter and three feet behind I put on a 4 inch apex lure pink/yellow Color.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...