Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Default Just looking for advice on few topics. Arrows and ilf bows

All right here we go. Small background. I shot I Td recurve for yrs, good bow did everything I wanted. Then I stoped shooting due to work. Oh by shooting I mean targets and hunting. Any ways longbows always interested me. And about a two yrs ago I got a omp longbow its a 68amo perfect for my mo key arms 31 inch draw. And iv shot the hell out of it. Shot everything from gophers to deer to moose to bear with it. And has never let me down. Well that's not true the length is hard some times to fit In the car. So brings us to my first thing. Ilf risers and limbs. I see so many options. Recurve or long bow limbs short or long risers. And on and on. So let's say I got one those swa ilf risers ( I dig the wood not metal) and decided I want some longbow limbs. Would it shoot like a longbow or a recurve? Umm hard to Explain what I mean. Umm those Td risers all seem to be recurve ish nothing like the straight grip on a longbow. Quess I mean the feeling you get would be one or the other.
On ward to other thing probably easyer to get help on.
I shoot aluminum arrows four feather fleched 5 inch. I have a new bow in mail I picking up tomorrow. It's a 50lb longbow. With my draw should be about 56-57lb. Looking to make up some arrows don't got the extra cash to play around and test so any help be great. I'm sticking to 4feather bla bla I wrote above. Would like be able to use 125 grain points with a 75 grain Insert or just use my 200 grain stuff I got. What SpIne should I get. Online charts are no help. They at 28 inch draws up to maybe a 190 grain point most stop at 150. So any Thi g be helpful. Can only buy once and do t want mess this up.
Also if I wanted to make up a 900 to 950 total weight arrow. Would I be looking at a very very stiff SpIne with my 315 grain broad head. Just a side pet idea I have..
Oh and is ilf worth it? Or go with something like a predator recurve or swa tigers hark. Or a tomahawk take down.
I shoot off shelf instinctive. None that fancy stuff. Idk if that makes a difference. Probably does since I see alot those ilf raisers with flat shelf so u have use those extra things I can't Remeber the name of flippers? Any ways any options be great.
Left handdd, Wood raiser, ilf. Off shelf. 19inch at min. Around a 600 buck budget for a raiser. And 400 or so for limbs. Longbow ilf limbs min 66 amo.
I probably rambled on to much I just hit submit now. Thanks for any feed back good or bad.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Default amazon for riser

Check out Amazon for a cheap ILF riser i have found a few that look like you can shoot off the shelf. and they are decent price then you can spend more money on high quality limbs.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM

At 31" draw and heavy FOC arrow it will be challenging to find an arrow with a spine stiff enough. Good thing is with a wood riser, they are generally not cut past center which mean you can get away with a little softer pine arrow. You will probably need a 350 to 300 spine arrow. Black eagle traditional make an arrow that is 34inch long, might help you with the long draw to keep the fingers away from the broad head.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 PM

With that weight of draw length I would look to 300 spine. I tried the extreme foc with the same draw/weight and 350’s did not tune with 225gr up front that was with field points. Broadhead will show even weaker.
Hoyt satori is a good riser as far as off the shelf ilf units. The grip is amazing.
One thing about going too crazy with foc is you may have an issue with nock high arrow flight. 900gr arrow is probably a little much. I would stick with a 500 to 600gr and wouldn’t stray above 20%foc. My 2 cents.