Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Opinions on Savage Weather Warrior Series

I am looking into buying a new rifle. I am considering a Savage. Do any of you have experience with one of these? I am looking at a 30.06. The other rifle that I am looking at is a Tikka T3. They are both priced the same. The Savage seems to have more features, such as the accu-trigger, accu-stock and I like the metal clip apposed to the plastic clip that comes with a Tikka. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

AdamR
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Both rifles are great.

Personally I'd go with the Savage for a number of reasons - it has the new accustock which is really stiff compared to other plastic ones...

Savage also holds 1 more round of ammo. I hate loading 3 rounds into the plastic tikka mag, 2 rounds is easy, the 3rd is a hassle because its a tight fit... or I just never got the hang of it.

The T3 trigger is excellent but doesn't have the same adjustability of the accutrigger.

Both are accurate rifles. Tikka has a MUCH smoother bolt throw and nicer overall appearance than the Savage.

Personally I would get whatever feels the nicest in your hands and I would pick the model based on the the position of the safety/trigger/ magazine release and what not...

I've been a metal fan.. and Tikka's have more plastic than I would prefer so I would take the Savage however that being said... I have a Tikka registered to my name that my grandpa uses and I don't own a Savage currently.

Plastic is better for "all weather" type scenario's because it doesn't rust and what not but how much abuse can a gun see? Guys have been running with blued metal and stained wood for centuries and have seem to make do.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:45 PM

I would go with the savage,great gun for a great price good shooting gun
Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
gitrdun

I have the warrior in .270WSM. I bedded mine, chopped 2" off the barrel and had it crowned. It's very accurate, feels and handles very well. I would choose it over the T3....oh wait a minute, I did.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 PM

i have one in 7mm-08 and i like it alot!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM

bought the old man one for christmas last year in 7mmRM , definetly needed an upgrade on the recoil pad. other than that i think they are great rifles.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM

I have used my 270 for 3 seasons now, accutrigger but not the stock, great feeling gun, good weight/recoil. I really enjoy it. My Pa has a 30-06 in the 111 series, seems like a lot of recoil compared to the other 30-06s he owns, but it is still a nice gun to shoot.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 PM

I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide between savage and tikka, the tikka is lighter, way way smoother action and seems to fit me better (personal preference I know).

Having said that the savage was cheaper by a bit where I saw it and I like the accutrigger and accustock.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM

I was in a toss up with the exact same 2 guns except in a .300win mag, but the Tikka T3 Lite won me over with the smoothness of the bolts throw.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM

I do like how well built the Tikka feels. I think I am going with the Savage though. I guess the worse thing that will happen is I will have to buy another gun if I don't like this one! Thanks for all the advice here. I will let you know when I get it and have a chance to take it out.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:04 PM

So I got a Savage 116 in 30.06. I put a Nikkon 4x14.5 Bushmatser on it. I have shot it some, it seems to be quite accurate. I like the feel of the accutrigger. I feel it's a nice gun.

Adam

"Don't let fear and common sense stand in your way"