Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Trumps comments, once again, will serve to divide the country and escalate this issue. Trump just can't think through the consequences of his words or actions or control his urges and emotions as serves to alienate, divide or provoke divisiveness.

He is on a path to systematically divide the USA from within just like he divides the country from the international community. All because of his total lack of intelligence, tact and over abundance of narcissism.

This will, I predict, just solidify the anti-Trump movement from within the country.
I heard an opinion on the radio that he was basically just speaking (playing?) to the crowd and it was a distraction to cover some potentially harmful news that emerged from the Russian "scandal". If that was the case, I'd say they ate it up, just like he knew they would.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Aren't all the majority owners in the NFL white?
Sure, what about all the people buy tickets, jerseys, etc? All white too? Even if it was 99% white, which isn't true, the comment would still be completely racist. There's no angle that can be looked at to avoid that. The comment was straight up bigotry.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Sure, what about all the people buy tickets, jerseys, etc? All white too? Even if it was 99% white, which isn't true, the comment would still be completely racist. There's no angle that can be looked at to avoid that. The comment was straight up bigotry.
Of course they aren't. But regardless of where the money originates, the fans don't pay the players salary, unless you want to argue that they do, by which token I'd own the Calgary Flames, and there is no issue what-so-ever of using tax payer dollars to build a stadium, seeing the taxpayers own the team....
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Of course they aren't. But regardless of where the money originates, the fans don't pay the players salary, unless you want to argue that they do, by which token I'd own the Calgary Flames, and there is no issue what-so-ever of using tax payer dollars to build a stadium, seeing the taxpayers own the team....
Strawman
Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 PM

NASCAR got it figured out

posted 25 September 2017 04:05

http://www.dailywire.com/news/...rivers-ryan-saavedra

Multiple NASCAR team owners indicated Sunday they will not tolerate drivers or crew members who kneel during the national anthem as unpatriotic protests plague the beleaguered National Football League.

Former NASCAR champion and legend Richard Petty, who owns Richard Petty Motorsports, told the Associated Press that he would fire any member of his team that chooses to kneel during the national anthem.

“Anybody that don’t stand up for the anthem oughta be out of the country. Period. What got ’em where they’re at? The United States,” Petty said.

Another famous former NASCAR driver, Richard Childress, who owns Richard Childress Racing, said that anyone who works for him that chooses to kneel during the national anthem would face the same fate.

“It’ll get you a ride on a Greyhound bus,” Childress said. “Anybody that works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people gave their lives for it. This is America.”

The comments from NASCAR owners come as the NFL struggles for its survival as its fan base becomes increasingly fractured over the disrespect shown by multi-millionaire athletes who are kneeling in solidarity with victims of alleged oppression.

ya!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Strawman
Exactly.

Not sure why you where talking about the race of a guy buying a jersey.....

Anyhow, was just wondering if it'd was true, every majority owner in the NFL being white.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 PM

I dont support people who will not stand for their anthem or flag at any time so i really have to use for them.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
NFL revenue comes from fans and those who watch tv broadcasts. Do you think all ticket buyers and viewers of NFL football are white? Just stating a fact.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
He said "white mans money" and that makes the comment 100% racist. For one thing it assumes that all kneeing players are not white and it also assumes that the only money in the game is from whites people. That's pretty damn racist to me.

As for the taking a knee part. Having travelled plenty thorough the states, I feel I can have the opinion that racism is alive still. It's something people face everyday and struggle against. It's real and just because it hasn't affected a middle class, white guy from Canada doesn't make it any less a part of reality. Remember we are only 40 years away from separate water fountains. During the civil rights movement era it was common to take a knee. It was a peaceful protest, something that should always be guaranteed in our society.

And Trump as president is a part of the protesters. He represents all of America and should be willing to listen vs offending. But he did that to keep the lower middle class white vote. The same vote that got him into power.
Agree, well said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 PM

I counted 10+ people wearing their hats during our anthem at the oilers game. And that was just my general section. Am I turning into a grumpy old man or has all respect been taken out of society these days.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Banned

Meh. Professional sports shouldn't exist IMO. Waste of time. Look at the participants. Is this kerfuffle surprising?

Whoops. Yes, I would support professional sports such as archery, marksmanship, navigation, etc. Useful activities to say the least.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
I counted 10+ people wearing their hats during our anthem at the oilers game. And that was just my general section. Am I turning into a grumpy old man or has all respect been taken out of society these days.
Welcome to the grumpy old man club. I see the "caps on" as disrespectful during the anthem and just bad manners when worn during a meal.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
He said "white mans money" and that makes the comment 100% racist. For one thing it assumes that all kneeing players are not white and it also assumes that the only money in the game is from whites people. That's pretty damn racist to me.

As for the taking a knee part. Having travelled plenty thorough the states, I feel I can have the opinion that racism is alive still. It's something people face everyday and struggle against. It's real and just because it hasn't affected a middle class, white guy from Canada doesn't make it any less a part of reality. Remember we are only 40 years away from separate water fountains. During the civil rights movement era it was common to take a knee. It was a peaceful protest, something that should always be guaranteed in our society.

And Trump as president is a part of the protesters. He represents all of America and should be willing to listen vs offending. But he did that to keep the lower middle class white vote. The same vote that got him into power.
Well said.

I feel like if Trump had made half the fuss over denouncing the white supremacists when that woman was killed it wouldn't be the big deal it is now.

Those players have the right to do what they're doing. They're protesting police violence. They're taking a knee to show respect for the armed forces while they do it.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Meh. Professional sports shouldn't exist IMO. Waste of time. Look at the participants. Is this kerfuffle surprising?

Whoops. Yes, I would support professional sports such as archery, marksmanship, navigation, etc. Useful activities to say the least.
Yes ... very fun to watch. You can tell by the huge following that millions agree with you.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Welcome to the grumpy old man club. I see the "caps on" as disrespectful during the anthem and just bad manners when worn during a meal.
Both drive me crazy and my children have been raised to never let it happen. Wearing a hat during the anthem shows way more disrespect than taking a knee imo.... I'm 40 now tho so I guess I'm in the club too.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Freedom of speech (or actions in this case) is not only there when one supports the action/speech. It's for everyone. Trump was out of line; most of the owners support their players, and some have appeared on the field with them.

Funny how Trump has great success in dividing Americans, but no success in uniting them, isn't it? Why doesn't he use that Twitter feed of his for uniting actions?
Your wrong
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Your wrong
Curious what he's wrong about?

And for the record it's you're.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Then there are those that question the singing of anthems at sporting events:

http://nationalpost.com/sports/is-it...porting-events
I would be one of them. I have no idea what a national anthem has to do with a game in the NHL/NFL/MLB/whatever. I guess it keeps the dumb people interested who would not be otherwise.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Banned

You'ld think that the POTUS would pick his fights more intelligently... WW3 looming and hes worried about whether NFL players stand or kneel?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Curious what he's wrong about?

And for the record it's you're.
Now there's two,,,im a proud canadian and if you ever sat in a major sporting event in the states and watch how many people even leave their hats on and then look around in canada. The states shows a thousand times more respect than they do here. Walk into a grocery store in the states when a soldier is there and see the respect they get, it will bring a tear to your eye. I bought a shirt in Montana that merely said " freedom ain't quite, raise your voice" i literally had people coming up to me to shake my hand. This did not happen once but three times in one day. This canadian thought it was just a shirt, but no more. Sure there are patriotic Canadians and im one, i also respect our military more than most, but there is no way any of you can question the level of patriotism in the states and what it means to the United States. They fight the worlds problems and pay the costs both financially, morally and in lives. Of course it makes them mad when that is disrespected and rightfully so, as it should because the impact of what they do has impacted far more people than what happens here. Fire them all and shame on any of you for supporting millionaires who make stupid money off the backs of the brave and dead, plus feel they have the right to do it in a public forum while at work. Not only should we not watch the games we should also not support the sponsors or the networks that show the millionaire cowards. How many of you complain when we, as Canadians cant even take up arms to protect our own family and property, yet you tolerate comments on here that mock a country that can,,,FREEDON AINT QUITE,,,RAISE YOUR VOICE, or shut your yap while others do it for ya!!!!!!

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 09-26-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Trying to make a political statement has no place in sports, it only happens in the USA. P
I'd say singing the Star Spangled Banner is akin to making a political statement. Thus the reason singing Horst-Wessel-Lied wouldn't be allowed to be sang in any stadium.

Last edited by Weedy1; 09-26-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, but apparently to point that out is racist.
This world is screwed.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My thought is that when the national anthem plays you stand, remove your hat and pay respect to the country, flag, and the sacrifices made.

Pick up with the rest of the crap show afterwords....after all someone, somewhere is insuring you have that freedom...a little respect goes a long way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
You'ld think that the POTUS would pick his fights more intelligently... WW3 looming and hes worried about whether NFL players stand or kneel?
The fact that he is picking this fight shows he actually cares about the country. Contrary to what many believe. It would be nice to have PM who cared about Canada.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Yes ... very fun to watch. You can tell by the huge following that millions agree with you.
Who needs to watch? The millions in question need to get off their a** and do something anyways. Participation should be the motivation, winning the goal. Sitting on a couch watching is neither.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The fact that he is picking this fight shows he actually cares about the country. Contrary to what many believe. It would be nice to have PM who cared about Canada.
As is being said all over. Why this fight and not the white supremacists who were fine people when that woman was killed.

I'd think he's got more on his plate than football.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Now there's two,,,im a proud canadian and if you ever sat in a major sporting event in the states and watch how many people even leave their hats on and then look around in canada. The states shows a thousand times more respect than they do here. Walk into a grocery store in the states when a soldier is there and see the respect they get, it will bring a tear to your eye. I bought a shirt in Montana that merely said " freedom ain't quite, raise your voice" i literally had people coming up to me to shake my hand. This did not happen once but three times in one day. This canadian thought it was just a shirt, but no more. Sure there are patriotic Canadians and im one, i also respect our military more than most, but there is no way any of you can question the level of patriotism in the states and what it means to the United States. They fight the worlds problems and pay the costs both financially, morally and in lives. Of course it makes them mad when that is disrespected and rightfully so, as it should because the impact of what they do has impacted far more people than what happens here. Fire them all and shame on any of you for supporting millionaires who make stupid money off the backs of the brave and dead, plus feel they have the right to do it in a public forum while at work. Not only should we not watch the games we should also not support the sponsors or the networks that show the millionaire cowards. How many of you complain when we, as Canadians cant even take up arms to protect our own family and property, yet you tolerate comments on here that mock a country that can,,,FREEDON AINT QUITE,,,RAISE YOUR VOICE, or shut your yap while others do it for ya!!!!!!
So after all that. What was he wrong about?

Yes they're patriotic. Take the knee is about police brutality not patriotism. They're kneeling instead of sitting to show respect. I don't think you understand it.

Congrats on your shirt.... did it maybe say quiet?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM

In my opinion there's patriotic people and there's non-patriotic people. I feel that people who argue that it's their right to take a knee during the anthem don't have a patriotic understanding and don't realize/care about the significance of it. They don't care about the sacrifices made, expect a free ride, just look at their country as a piece of dirt to waste their life on. To me it's not far from burning a flag. I still think that many people don't realize the blood, sweat and tears that were sacrificed to provide a lifestyle where a football player can earn tens of millions of dollars and you can decide to take a knee to push your non related agenda during such a patriotic moment as the singing of the anthem is wrong. My wife and I have both lost family members in wars and we also have family members that survived and have heard horrible stories of what they went thru. Not one of them has ptsd by the way. Thats the new buzz word for the weaker non patriotic generation. Coming straight from a veteran, he said many of the new generation of people are weak and don't realize/care where there freedom come from. If you don't like it here leave, you will come back whimpering with your tail between your legs once you realize how damn good we got it! You will stand proud when you hear the anthem. I will not support any Canadian sports teams that take a knee. It may not matter to them, but if enough of us patriotic types do, maybe they will get our message.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I assume you mean "Freedom ain't Quiet ..... Raise your voice" ....??? anyways - I'm not here to correct you, just want to make sure I understand the statement.

A point to consider ......

Isn't raising your voice, and the first amendment right those soldiers died to protect, the right to protest???

These players are protesting.

One could argue they are honoring that right.

Now, I will be the first one to admit I don't like the idea of kneeling during the anthem. I would not want to offend the soldiers or people who would take offense to may actions. I would protest, but would struggle to find the most thought provoking way to do so, without trying to specifically hurt anyone in the process - but maybe that isn't enough in this case.

AND if they didn't protest in this "though provoking" and "potentially offending" way, and maybe took a knee at half time, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Nobody would care.

Weeks/months ago, when this started, it got some press time, but has fizzled out a little. People were on to the next story. The movement had potentially reached it's plateau.

Trump has time and time again, made comments, taken actions, or inaction, or remained silent enough times, on numerous issues, it's very clear to me where he stands on race, religion and equality.

And if Trump was so smart, as many of his followers think he is, he would have said nothing. And the players would have continued taking a knee, a few of them, and it would get no more or less airtime than it did over the last 4-5 weeks (virtually none).

Now that Trump chirps off - he has legitimized the movement, made it stronger, more people are protesting, and it's now a headline.

Complex issue here.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

I just read an article that summed it up pretty well. "Americans died fighting so these guys can play a child's game for a living " and not just a modest living but it's making them multi millionaires!

They should really show Trump and quit playing for a living.