Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Another EM Precision build

So I got a chance to try out a new build today. My third from Steve & Shane from EM Precision. This one is chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua. It happens to be nestled inside one of my favourite chassis, a Cadex Field Open Top.

The action is by KS Arms. The barrel is a Bob Jury Custom #10 heavy contour finished at 26". And it's topped off with an EM Precision Shockwave brake. The scope is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 inside NF rings. And the bipod is an LRA light tactical.

I ended up using Lapua factory 139gr Scenar ammo. This was because I don't yet have my brass or bullet order. But Shane was good enough to offer up the factory ammo at cost so I could try out the rifle this weekend. Also, I need some fired cases to make a modified case for my OAL gauge so I can find the lands and do some serious load development. And because of the shortness of this round and the .308 magazine, I can easily magazine feed this beast.

I ended up doing the 10 shot/clean cycle to break-in the barrel. I also tried to get the scope on paper while I was doing this. It turned out that I was on paper in 2 shots and zeroed in 5 (all at 201 yards). After these first 5 shots, the next five turned out to be a pretty decent group.

So then onwards and outwards to 304 yards. After two sighters, I shot a 3 round group....self-explanatory.

The ergonomics were easily adjusted to close to where I have them on my .223 build in the same chassis. Very easy.

I must say that this rifle shoots just as well as my three others have from EM. And to say that this one has potential would be an understatement. I haven't even done any load development or seating depth tests. I expect that the accuracy will improve greatly once I find the lands and can optimally seat the 139gr Scenars. The factory ammo from Lapua is very good. I recorded speeds of 2659, 2652, 2653, 2646, 2662, and 2644. For an average of 2653 with an S.D. of just 6 (!).

I can't wait to do some OCW and depth tests to develop an even better load. And then stretching her legs out to a kilometre and beyond. Maybe even the mile (right Shane? )

More to follow....
Old 09-23-2017, 08:06 PM

Beauty rifle!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 PM

Nice.
I am shooting 6.5 X 47L this week....going to try some 140 Bergers...don't think I've ever tried them them in the '47. I usually use 130's which seem to like leaving the muzzle about 2850 fps.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:35 PM

What is your go-to starting jump for load development?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:55 PM

I'll let you know. Probably .010". Although after OCW tests, I'll do 3 seating tests. (.005", .010", and .015")
The charge weight tests will be .010".
Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 PM

For me, load development starting seating depth would first be influenced by the max COAL that would fit/feed from the magazine ... unless I planned to single load or am using a single shot action. No point in finding an accurate recepie if I can't use it.
A second consideration for me, is the type of bullet ogive given my experience that bullets with a tangent ogive frequently tune easiest with a bit of jump, whereas those with secant ogives (especially the VLD's) often give me best results with a bit of jam. When jamming, I always start with charge weights on the low side.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 AM

I forgot to mention all of the Canadian content in this build.

Barrel: by Bob Jury
Chassis: by Cadex
Brake: by EM Precision Rifles
Action: by KS Arms
Trigger: by Trigger-Tech

The Canadian content has come a long ways!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 PM

Sounds like you are new to the '47 ... and may find this helpful. So last night, I screwed on an old sporter contour barrel to tinker with some 140 Ber VLD's which I don't think I have ever shot in a '47. I had a tickle extra headspace and with the secant ogive on this bullet I decided to jam 0.012 and start 1.1 gr under the recommended max for H4350 which is my go to powder for the '47. Results are on the paper for the two initial loads. Also a pic of the primer on a 39.5 gr load which leads me to believe I am good to go to the recommended max with the jam ... which hopefully will trim a bit of the vertical.