Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 PM

Default I just renewed my residential lis. Tell me if it happened like it is supposed to.

With all the new changed in trapping I am admittedly a bit lost. I am not trying to stir the pot, but I would like to know if how my lis was handled is how it is supposed to happen now.

I went in to the local f and w office which also houses SRD as well. At the front desk I asked to renew my residential lis. I was told I would be helped by a lady.

When the lady came to the desk I immediately recognized her as someone who has renewed my residential lis before. If bio's never issued liscences before and this lady issued me one before, she isn't a biologist correct? I thought only the bio's issued licenses now? Correct?

I had my auction receipts with me when I asked to renew. She took my auction receipt and said "I need to photocopy these" and she went right to the photocopier before I could say anything. I thought they were not allowed to copy any finical statements? Correct?

She gave my auction receipt back and renewed my lis.

I than asked if I could apply to trap a small section of crown land that I don't believe is part of a registered line. She gave me a slip of paper to go to a website to verify the area is not in a trap line and a business card a person to contact about what I wanted to do. I am sure she said the person on the card is the head bio.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 AM

It's my understanding that license renewals are done at the Alberta Environment and Parks office now. We renewed last week and the AEP office where we went is not open every day so we were able to renew at the Solicitor Generals (Fish cop's) office which covers for the AEP office when closed. We didn't need receipts but we have been getting our licenses there for a few years now, so are not strangers.
This change, in my opinion, should free up more time for the enforcement officers to enforce hunting, fishing and trapping laws.
Doug
Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 AM

From Dave Kay head of policy for AEP at the AGM. I paraphrase but nobody has the right to ask for auction or sales receipts for your fur. You do not have to show them and he was writing down the names and offices that were reported to to him for doing it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 AM

They do ask you to fill out a harvest report and what fur bearer and what wmu it was taken. Usually I just tell theme how many from what wmu she writes it down and you sign saying the info is true and bam here's your new license.

Bill
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM

I understand that next year (2017-2018) need to be able to produce your NAFA etc fur sales. The fur sales $$ receipt document could be consider private business document. If you pick up new Trapper Regulation a one page letter inside outlines next year process, not required this year.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I understand that next year (2017-2018) need to be able to produce your NAFA etc fur sales. The fur sales $$ receipt document could be consider private business document. If you pick up new Trapper Regulation a one page letter inside outlines next year process, not required this year.
This is no longer correct, and has been rescinded (as stated previously, Dave Kay spoke directly about this). It SHOULD NOT say anything in the new regulations.

Spruce
Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
This is no longer correct, and has been rescinded (as stated previously, Dave Kay spoke directly about this). It SHOULD NOT say anything in the new regulations.

Spruce
Yep, good seeing you there man!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
From Dave Kay head of policy for AEP at the AGM. I paraphrase but nobody has the right to ask for auction or sales receipts for your fur. You do not have to show them and he was writing down the names and offices that were reported to to him for doing it.
How would I get a hold of Dave?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
How would I get a hold of Dave?
Dave Kay

Phone: 780 644-4646
Fax: 780 422-9559
E-mail: dave.kay@gov.ab.ca
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
They do ask you to fill out a harvest report and what fur bearer and what wmu it was taken. Usually I just tell theme how many from what wmu she writes it down and you sign saying the info is true and bam here's your new license.

Bill
Thats how mine went .. no receipt asked for .
Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 AM

I just got my license last Friday in Barrhead and the lady there mentioned next year I need to submit my receipts as well. Thought it was weird considering I don't send my furs to auction.

I just do my harvest report, pay and out the door.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I just got my license last Friday in Barrhead and the lady there mentioned next year I need to submit my receipts as well. Thought it was weird considering I don't send my furs to auction.

I just do my harvest report, pay and out the door.
Yes, see that is the part the missed out on not knowing what they are doing. There is no law that says you have to sell your fur let alone to the auction houses. I would have to be blind and stupid to not see their hidden agenda on this one!