Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM

Sheep dip, and walker for this guy.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:37 AM

I have quite a few bottles of different scotch in the liquor cabinet,GlenLivet, Aberlour, Dellwhinnie, Bowmore, Belvinie- won every single bottle, and have only every tasted Glen Livet about 29 years ago.
Don't touch the stuff, but it's nice for when company comes over.
For some reason I have a few friends who like scotch, and the kid every now and then decides that a decent bottle should not stay at my house but be transported to his place so it can be enjoyed by others!!
Cat
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM

I've picked up a few bottles in the last month that are quite outstanding. The Laphroaig 2014 Cairdeas......absolutely outstanding, and went through quite the ordeal to source a half case for myself, some to put away, a couple to enjoy:
http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-w...cairdeas-2014/

Then, I lucked out on 3 bottles of Benriach Authenticaus 21 yr old. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to getting over this flu so I can open it up. Right now, nothing tastes or smells good or proper, so why drink good whisky in that condition?

http://www.benriachdistillery.co.uk/...1YEARSOLD.html

And last but certainly not least, I managed to get my hands on one lonely bottle of Ardbeg SuperNova. The temptation to open this up and try it, rather than put it in to deep storage is huge. But for now, it is tucked away. I may not be able to resist though.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2014/09/2...elease-sn2014/

I like whisky!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Scotch

Lugavulin 16 yr. old my favorite!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Sheep dip, and walker for this guy.
I like how Sheep Dip acquired it's name. Excellent tasting stuff.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarck View Post
Lugavulin 16 yr. old my favorite!
A very classy dram. It has definitely become a favorite. I was given two bottles of this at my birthday woohoo!

My scotch collection is not too shabby at the moment:

Lagavulin 16
Aberlour A'Bunadh (every collection should have this)
Glenrothes 1998 vintage
Glen Scotia 16
Ardbeg 10
MacAllan Amber (this one is very disappointing for the price IMO)

Had some Highland Park Thor a couple weeks ago - very good!
Tried the Highland Park Dark Origins - very complex but didn't enjoy it much honestly
Also have Highland Park Freya coming soon. Looking forward to this one.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I've picked up a few bottles in the last month that are quite outstanding. The Laphroaig 2014 Cairdeas......absolutely outstanding, and went through quite the ordeal to source a half case for myself, some to put away, a couple to enjoy:
http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-w...cairdeas-2014/

Then, I lucked out on 3 bottles of Benriach Authenticaus 21 yr old. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to getting over this flu so I can open it up. Right now, nothing tastes or smells good or proper, so why drink good whisky in that condition?

http://www.benriachdistillery.co.uk/...1YEARSOLD.html

And last but certainly not least, I managed to get my hands on one lonely bottle of Ardbeg SuperNova. The temptation to open this up and try it, rather than put it in to deep storage is huge. But for now, it is tucked away. I may not be able to resist though.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2014/09/2...elease-sn2014/

I like whisky!
Wow that's some high end stuff.
I tried the Benriach 12 sherry finish this summer with my dad and It's excellent. Post back once you open your 21 and let us know what you think
Old 12-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
Wow that's some high end stuff.
I tried the Benriach 12 sherry finish this summer with my dad and It's excellent. Post back once you open your 21 and let us know what you think
I shall do so....I expect great things from it. And I agree with you about the Macallan Amber being over rated for the price point. None of the new 'non age statement' color coded Macallans can hold a candle to the old Fine Oak series. Which is precisely why I put about 30 bottles away, ranging from 12-25 years. I also completely agree with your appreciation for the Aberlour A'Bunadh, a great dram indeed. The 10 year old is a go to everyday dram, one I can enjoy without thinking about what I paid for it haha. A fine distillery in every respect.

Oh, and for the record, this year's Cairdeas is better than last year's Port finish, in my opinion and contrary to the review I posted. I've had both, this one is really a great sipper, and worthy of attention. I've never had anything else finished in the Amontillado Casks, and I like it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-20-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 PM

I'd love to get another bottle of Loch Du but they don't export anymore.... Anyone going to Britain
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'd love to get another bottle of Loch Du but they don't export anymore.... Anyone going to Britain
Nope but I have some whisky steeping in a light peet and cow manure that may be just he ticket. The vintage Cow was eating aged and burnt oak so its all good... I will let it go at cost. Taste is pretty earthy and deep with a hint of caramel. Only took me about 20 yrs to develop a tolerance for the stuff...must be good!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Nope but I have some whisky steeping in a light peet and cow manure that may be just he ticket. The vintage Cow was eating aged and burnt oak so its all good... I will let it go at cost. Taste is pretty earthy and deep with a hint of caramel. Only took me about 20 yrs to develop a tolerance for the stuff...must be good!
Lol I take it you have tried Loch Du? I find it yummy,
Old 03-08-2015, 12:02 AM

Bumpity bump

Hey Twisty tried the new Highland Park Dark it's their new non age stated Single Malt....real good reminds me of Bowmores Darkest.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Bumpity bump

Hey Twisty tried the new Highland Park Dark it's their new non age stated Single Malt....real good reminds me of Bowmores Darkest.
Funny you should bump it today. My wife went out and got me a birthday present yesterday (ok, I picked it out ) and it is also Highland Park. I figured since you weren't going to get me a bottle of the 25 yr old, after tampering with Rugatika's post count, that I may as well let my honey treat me for my 48th.... I may crack it tonight, then tuck it away.

I've seen the Darkest on the shelf and been tempted by it as well. I know the Bowmore darkest is a great dram, so figure I should try the Highland Park some time.

Most recently, I have become a huge fan of the Oban 14 yr old, and decided I prefer it to the 16 yr old Lagavullin. It just seems to hit all the right spots on the palate for me, and is lovely smooth on the finish. And, I did finish off that poor bottle of Benriach Authenticus. It was a really interesting whisky, in an exceptionally good way. It had the typical Speyside notes of honey, heather, vanilla...and then all these really great Islay notes of smoke and licorice (not much peat). On the surface of it, one might think it would be a conflicted whisky, but it actually worked amazingly well, very balanced. I'm pleased to have another bottle tucked away, it may not survive over the long term!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Finally popped into Chateau Louis tonight, fantastic selection. Best in Edmonton by far, I'm guessing up there with most stores in Western Canada.

Had a Tomatin 18 in my hands, but put it back and two fisted a Tomatin 12 French Oak AND a Springbank 12 Single Cask, only 522 bottles, exclusive to Alberta evidently.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM

The Tomatin is yummy .....not sure if I tried that Springbank ...I'll have to sneak in and see if Adam has a wee dram to spare lol
Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 PM

I bet that would mix well with some 7UP ...... whoa ...... just teasing.

I'm not a connoisseur but a close friend opened a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 yr old? ( I think) and it was pretty damn good .... I might be hooked
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The Tomatin is yummy .....not sure if I tried that Springbank ...I'll have to sneak in and see if Adam has a wee dram to spare lol
Lol, he offered me a tasting of the Tomatin, but not the Springbank, so I'm guessing he doesn't have one in the cabinet...yet.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM

I keep hearing great things about this Tomatin, and it is one I have not gotten around to yet. I think I may have to put it on the short list.

I did try the 25 year old Highland Park for my birthday, had a nice solid two finger dram..... It was amazing in a very complex way. Very much a Highland Park, but there was so much going on, it is a very robust dram. The nose was a fairly typical smoke & peat, but there were strange undercurrents of anise and almost a coal tar bite to it....strange. I found it almost overpowering initially on the palate, and had to add a few drops of water and let it breathe for about ten minutes to open it up. That helped tame it, and brought out some subtle undertones, spicey notes of anise and cardamom, but also honey and chocolate. It is actually one of the most difficult to decypher of any whisky I have had, maybe I was overthinking it? Anyway, this in no way means I didn't enjoy it, because I did. Very much. I think I'm going to save it for my 'Birthday' dram for the next few years, and see if I can decipher it...I took notes, and put them in the box (which probably cost $50 but is quite nice)....and look forward to the next dram. This should give me something else to live for, at least for the next ten years or so! This is the first whisky or spirit ever to receive a score of 100/100....

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/20...h-whisky-news/

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-26-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 PM

I got the tar notes as well when I tried it a while ago, didn't get any anise but I will volunteer my taste buds the next time you try a dram.....purely for the science of course
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I got the tar notes as well when I tried it a while ago, didn't get any anise but I will volunteer my taste buds the next time you try a dram.....purely for the science of course
Of course....haha. My friends tell me I have a 'licorice' nose, I always seem to pick up hints of it, or anise, in the Islays. Maybe I have a defect!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-26-2015, 10:21 PM

Lag 16yr is my favourite so far. The Laphroaig quarter cask and 10 year are some more affordable peaty alternatives.

So how much more a bottle will this expensive habit be with the new taxes!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:32 PM

You will have a bit of time, most liquor stores will change prices when they get new stock to replace sold stock. Way too many items to reprise at once..you will notice popular products right away, slow movers gradually over coming weeks
Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
You will have a bit of time, most liquor stores will change prices when they get new stock to replace sold stock. Way too many items to reprise at once..you will notice popular products right away, slow movers gradually over coming weeks
Time to stock up!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lgreenback View Post
Lag 16yr is my favourite so far. The Laphroaig quarter cask and 10 year are some more affordable peaty alternatives.

So how much more a bottle will this expensive habit be with the new taxes!
If you like the Lagavullin and Laphroaig (also some of my favorites), give the 14 yr Oban a go. I have grown to like it even more than the Lag. Also, the Caol Isla 18 is spectacular, but a bit pricey.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
If you like the Lagavullin and Laphroaig (also some of my favorites), give the 14 yr Oban a go. I have grown to like it even more than the Lag. Also, the Caol Isla 18 is spectacular, but a bit pricey.
Love the Oban 14. Have a bottle on the shelf that's looking a little low, may need to replenish. I wonder at the 14 though, as I don't think it actually says anywhere 14 yrs old. Not a big deal to me, it's one of my go-to's regardless, just curious.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I believe I've tried the Oban. Caol Isla I'll be sure to try out one of these days.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Love the Oban 14. Have a bottle on the shelf that's looking a little low, may need to replenish. I wonder at the 14 though, as I don't think it actually says anywhere 14 yrs old. Not a big deal to me, it's one of my go-to's regardless, just curious.
The '14' is incorporated right into the label, kind of behind the print.....

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4132.aspx

Not that it matters to me either, I just purely love the stuff!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
The '14' is incorporated right into the label, kind of behind the print.....

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4132.aspx

Not that it matters to me either, I just purely love the stuff!
Yeah, saw the 14, but found it funny it doesn't actually say 14 yrs, or 14 yrs old or aged 14 yrs, etc... just the number 14. I'm with you though, love the stuff.

Cracked the single cask Springbank 12 tonight for an after supper dram. Think I may have to give it a while to open up. At 58.1%, she has a real quick burn to her on the tongue. Then it gave me heartburn all the way down, almost unbearable. Hate to do it, but may give it a splash of water and see if it helps. I'm not used to cask strength scotch, so am hoping it's just the fact I recently ate supper, or that it'll tame a tad bit getting some air. Seems pretty raw right now.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:38 PM

I wonder if there is a Scottish forum debating tonight the virtue of Canadian whisky?