Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Default Sylvan Lake - the Stuff Sick People Dump in the Lake!

It was a Bty afternoon, decided to try for some Whites, took my float tube down to the new Lakeshore Park. There were a group of divers just finishing what looked to be a cleanup where the Splash Park is located. One fella had a small boat and they unloaded all this junk for the town staff to haul away.

It was just sickening to see all this stuff, the batteries bothered me the most why would someone dump this in the lake! For those of you who know the area or were out here in the summer it was all located within the roped off area not far from the splash park.

Idiots …. only really sick idiots would do this. The divers belonged to a group that I understand do this on an annual basis, they would tell me which group, so I said I would post the pic’s on A/O & thank them again for their efforts on cleaning up Sylvan!

It’s greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Car batteries get you 25 cents/lb these days, there's enough scrap metal there for a couple boxes of shotgun shells! Idiots who do this make me sick too.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 PM

Wow thats horrible. I really really really don't understand people. Wether it be in the lakes or In the woods.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM

While I dislike littering to the millionth degree, I can't see someone intentionally dumping a battery into a lake on purpose? Possibly a small open vessel with an electric motor capsized?
I agree though, 1 piece of trash in a lake is too much, and that includes cigarette butts.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 PM

Unreal.

What the hell is wrong with people???

Seriously??????
Old 09-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

We were setting up a decoy spread one morning on a river in about 15ft of water maybe 10 yards from shore when suddenly the Q-Beam lantern in my hand that was plugged into a 12V alligator clip style receptacle went out. A second later we were being smoked out by a real pungent acicidic smelling smoke. I turned and looked where my battery was located and in the dark could see my deep cycle battery heavily smoking. Almost at that instant my buddy spoke loudly and seriously and said "Spank, do something with that battery NOW!!" There was no time to start an engine or paddle to shore so that battery went overboard NOW before it caught fire or exploded. I didn't want to send it to the bottom of the river but I didn't want a boat on fire or a couple guys covered in battery acid from an exploding battery either. I saw a boat explode and burn to the water line on Lake Ontario as a kid and watched the guy jump overboard and swim to shore from about a mile or so out off our back yard growing up. Not a pleasant sight to see. Now I am not making excuses for polluters but sometimes things do get there beyond our control.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 PM

You'd be surprised what divers find in Alberta lakes. Lots of groups organize cleanups which is great.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 PM

I used to participate in the annual cleanup when I lived in Sylvan Lake. We also did an annual clean up of Bower Ponds in Red Deer. Unbelievable what we would find. Unfortunately people are slobs.

Diving regularly in the ocean today, we still find some bottles or cans. One of the regular finds we make are golf balls. Seems people can't resist firing a golf ball or two from shore to see how far they can hit it

Mr Conservation
Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM

I'll admit, we've lost some things.. Mainly sunglasses and hats. None of it on purpose, but I could see how alot of it could happen.

back in the 90's we found a ski tower w/rope still attached. lol.. Must've been too much tubing.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned

I would think that some of those items were originally left or lost while the lake was frozen.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:04 PM

And Central Alberta is known for it's storms. Doesn't take much to capsize a boat.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Did anyone claim that Red Devil spoon?

Just kidding.

Yeah, I sympathize as it does sicken you to see how bad it can get. But I can also see how some of those things are accidental. I am just glad there are dive teams willing to volunteer to clean it up.

I was diving in Lake Chapparal in south Calgary this past wknd and the stuff you see...especially the plastic!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Drive road allowances and gravel roads around the outskirts of any city and see what people drop off rather than spend $5.00 at the landfill. Do you think those same people would hesitate to dump anything in a waterbody ?

With hunting season coming on I am prepared for the many carcasses, hides and heads from game animals.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Looks like others here share the same feelings ... real sick idiots!

Anyone care to hazzard a guess how old these batteries maybe and what would they be used on ?

J&7 ... the Town staff scooped up Mr Red.

Tks

David

Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Wow. Good on them for cleaning all that up via scuba.