Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I didn't mean to insinuate you were looking to start an argument, I was eluding to how I've seen similar topics get all heated in the past.

If you are trying to justify a bigger or different rifle, don't try too much justifying it, or rationalizing it too hard.

Go find a rifle model you like, then see what's available.
FWIW I saw a 35 Whelan Rem 700 on the buy sell, look hard at that one, it'll wholop the stuffing outta just about everything you'll meet in the Alberta woods.
And it won't compromise your dental work or rotator cuff in the process.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=315256
Thank you for the suggestion. My current issue is I'm not set up for reloading and won't have the means to for the near future. So off the shelf ammo is quite important to me. Looks nice though! Is it a rational thought that I could pay someone with good knowledge to load me some rounds if I did decide to go the less common route?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. My current issue is I'm not set up for reloading and won't have the means to for the near future. So off the shelf ammo is quite important to me. Looks nice though! Is it a rational thought that I could pay someone with good knowledge to load me some rounds if I did decide to go the less common route?
Well paying for reloads is pretty much an illegal proposition.
However if you were to bring your own components and dies over to say my place, along with some beverages and maybe some sort of BBQ material, I could then tutor you to reload your own ammo with my equiptment.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 PM

Smile

Probably not a good idea to ask someone to load for you but I would bet there are some on this board that would teach you the basics of handloading on their equipment.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 PM

Smile

There you go ! Posted while I was writing my response
Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
A tikka/sako is for sure on my watch list, but the ones I have held (not shot) didn't feel really nice to me. I know they have a real reputation for being amazing shooters but the fit has to be there. Beggars can't be choosers though when it comes to used I guess.
Sure they can . With the number of used rifles for sale you can afford to be picky, and with your 270 you've already got a good rifle for elk. Get a 150 gr load or ammo for it that works well and use it as your primary elk rifle until you find something else you like, then it'll be a great backup for elk.

Since you've already got something reasonable and are wanting something bigger I'd look hard at a 300 wm, 35 Whelen, 338 wm, or 338-06. All are a significant step up in power from a 270 but have less recoil than a 375 h&h or ruger. Prophet River typically has 35 Whelen ammo in stock. The win mags have great ammo availability and range, while the 35 Whelen and 338-06 are a little harder to find but have plenty of killing power and reasonable trajectory out to 300 yds.

I've developed a bit of an irrational obsession with 35 Whelen and 7mm-08 which is the other good reason to pick a cartridge or rifle. It's not necessarily better than one you've got or others you're considering but there's just something about it...
Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 AM

If a 35 Whelen would be a possibility for you, I believe Remington has a 700 cdl sf special edition this year in 35 Whelen.

Nice rifle.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-700-cdl-sf

My apologies looks like it came out last year - but I have seen them online at a few Canadian dealers.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Trying to understand x- bolts logic of using a 260 but not a 7mm 08.
Remember he has superior intelligence, so trying to understand will be futile!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Maybe read them all and you would see we already discussed it. Brendan's dad, your always quik to jump on me for anything, spend more time being Brendan's dad and teach him the difference between a caliber and a cartridge and you gave a cartridge answer to a caliber question so yes i do have a superior intelligence to you, thanks for telling everyone.
Thanks for the parental advice. I will be sure that when I teach him, I make every effort to make him feel stupid about his questions.

This is the second time I even notice a post of yours (always quik to jump on me). The other post was when I guy came on hearing asking for reloading advice and you attempted to admonish the OP and everyone attempting to assist him. So yes, every time you come on here and try to make someone feel stupid for asking a question, I will be "quik to jump on you."
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Well paying for reloads is pretty much an illegal proposition.
However if you were to bring your own components and dies over to say my place, along with some beverages and maybe some sort of BBQ material, I could then tutor you to reload your own ammo with my equiptment.
Guess I'll ask, is there an acceptable minimum that it would cost to get into the required reloading gear? I know pretty much nothing about it.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Sure they can . With the number of used rifles for sale you can afford to be picky, and with your 270 you've already got a good rifle for elk. Get a 150 gr load or ammo for it that works well and use it as your primary elk rifle until you find something else you like, then it'll be a great backup for elk.

Since you've already got something reasonable and are wanting something bigger I'd look hard at a 300 wm, 35 Whelen, 338 wm, or 338-06. All are a significant step up in power from a 270 but have less recoil than a 375 h&h or ruger. Prophet River typically has 35 Whelen ammo in stock. The win mags have great ammo availability and range, while the 35 Whelen and 338-06 are a little harder to find but have plenty of killing power and reasonable trajectory out to 300 yds.

I've developed a bit of an irrational obsession with 35 Whelen and 7mm-08 which is the other good reason to pick a cartridge or rifle. It's not necessarily better than one you've got or others you're considering but there's just something about it...
Good point. I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I'll look into this 35 Whelen more, if I started reloading then it could be an option.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Hi this is a first post for me, long time lurker.

Like the title says, what is your go to for elk? Looking into another rifle and testing the waters to see if there is a known pfererence, also learn more and possibly a good discussion on the options.

Matt.
I've been starting to plan an elk hunt for this year, and have been thinking along the same lines, as I sold my 30-06 a while ago. I have family and friends who run anything from .243 to 300WM.
Just recovering from a shoulder injury, I don't enjoy recoil so I've been seriously looking at the 6.5 family. Came across a youtube video of Wayne Van Zwoll shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor, complete pass thru on a large bull elk at 603 yards, and it didn't go far.
Also since 95% of our shooting is enjoyed on the range in our pasture, I'm wanting something enjoyable to shoot with. We do have a half MOA .243 in the cabinet that I'm very familiar with, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it at, say, out to 250 yards with a good hand load.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Guess I'll ask, is there an acceptable minimum that it would cost to get into the required reloading gear? I know pretty much nothing about it.
Bullets are $60-$80/100 depending on type and style.
Powder is $50/pound, expect about 110-120 loads per pound.
Primers are about $5.00/100.
Brass can be formed using 30-06 brass, so virgin brass is about $50/50.
Dies can be purchased new for between $50-$75 for a set.

So for an intial outlay of not much more than $230 you are in the game.

You could possibly be trying a couple different powders, and maybe a couple different bullet options, just to find what works well in a given rifle.
So add an extra $100 just in case.

Approximate cost per 20 rounds reloaded should be around.$33, but that's with adding in the cost of your brass, which if loaded responsibly will have its cost spread over at least 5 or 6 loadings.($0.08/case)

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
I currently have a 270. I'm confident in its ability to do the job but I also am thinking long term for a large bear hunt which has been on the bucket list for a while. Basically I can research and read until my head spins but I would like to settle on something different than the 270 that can handle elk with ease. If it will work for a future big bear hunt then good, if not I would upgrade to a real boomer, possibly 375 or in that area. Then again, my buddy has a marlin lever 45-70 that shoots like a dream so that could be another option, just thinking it will be a little lacking for any longer shots.
If you already have the 270 then thats your 7mm size ( i would prefer the 7mm mag but you already have the 270)for the list i gave you. Id move up to a 300wm for times your hunting in open areas (the 270, for me, would stay under 300 yards ideally) i dont see the need for the 375. You may however. The 4570 lever is a different tool completely and is in a different category as the270 and the 300wm. I would not get the 45 in a lever but thats me. Maybe a ruger no.1, or a pedersoli, even browning males a single shot. The ruger being able to handle the hottest loads with the most pressure. Over the counter ammo for a 45-70 is usually on the very weak side. Plan your gun rack from the start so you dont end up with 3 or four guns that all do the same thing. Example being buying a 260, 270, 280. They all do the exact same thing to 300 yards with a 140 grain bullet. Once your have a complete, for you, gun rack then duplicate, upgrade and tweak. You have a good middle with the 270, and you know you want bigger but dont discount smaller if the right deal comes along because the 270 will do for now. A 25-06, for me fits that bill. I decided what grain range of bullets i required and the picked cartridges from there. I never change bullet weights in any given gun. If i need a different weight then I buy a gun. Ie 60 grain is the 22-250, 120 grain is the 25-06, 150 grain is the 7mm mag, 180 grain is the 300 wm, 405 grain is the pedersoli 45-70 and the 30-30 is just a toy for me. For deer i would primarily use the 25 but take the 7mm mag as the back up. If after big mule deer i may switch that around. Same thing for elk wide open areas I would be comfortable with wide open longer shots with the boat tail accubond in the 7mm mag with the 300wm for back up but in areas that may have some bush then the 26in barrelled 7mm mag goes away and the 22in barrelled 300wm comes out. Like suggest, plan your gunrack so your not wasting your money on the same tool. Good luck
Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Good point. I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I'll look into this 35 Whelen more, if I started reloading then it could be an option.
The 35 whelen will be my next one for sure as it fills a gap for me
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Further to my earlier post, the tooling to get set up, can run you between $250 and $750 depending on the brand and quality of the press, scale, powder management tooling, measuring tools, case prep tools, loading blocks, reference material, and various small tooling.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM

243 win. Minimal damage to meat.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Cartridge selection is largely moot. That is a simple reality. Bullet selection is more important and your ability even more so.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Why is everyone so worried about a pound of meat? Especially on an 800lb animal?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do you use a 243 for Ram hunting?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cartridge selection is largely moot. That is a simple reality. Bullet selection is more important and your ability even more so.
This man having shot a pile more elk than a lot of us, is offering very sage advice, here.

#1, Ability... how does one become more able?
#2, bullet construction. Do we need a TSX if the MV is under 2700fps?(maybe more aptly it's about bullet choices?)

All the debates of cartridge vs cartridge, are great reading when you begin your hunting ventures. It helps sell magazines too.

After you've seen 50, 100, 250 or more game animals harvested, you'll see that there's a lot more than this vs. that at play.

I'm admitadly not the worlds greatest advocate of the .243 as a big game cartridge, call it blind predjucice or what ever.

I am however a true believer in the .25-06, and 100grain Partitions and TSX's, wrap your noggin around that disjunctional revelation would ya.....

This I know, is that the larger and more powerful the chambering, that a inversely proportional relationship exists with everyone's ability to shoot precisely.

This whole game about what's best for this critter or that critter, is about going big enough without sacrificing too much the other way. It's called balance, plain and simple.

If you think a .270 Win loaded with a 140gr Accubond, Partition, or Barnes leaving the muzzle at 2900 fps isn't enough to put an elk down efficiently and humanly at this side of 450 yards, there needs to be an intervention of sorts, because somehow, some way, or what ever there's something amiss.

Now if your just trying to wrap yourself in some sort of justification to sooth that yearning in your heart to purchase another rifle.... there's no need, just go buy it and try it, there's pages of for sale ads on this site and others dedicated to the obsession of trying just because, then realizing the other one over there looks kinda neat too. It's called suffers from G.A.S! It's normal around these parts, so don't worry.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
You aren't getting no 800 lbs of meat.
But I'm sure you'll get over 400lbs.

If shot in the ribs, you'll loose maybe 1.5 lbs of edible meat.
If drilled through the front shoulders you'll loose a whopping 5 or 6 lbs!

I'm sure that amount can be made up by scraping the leg bones, or working that neck a few extra inches for trim.

Your point is totally moot!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Do you use a 243 for Ram hunting?
Used to, and with my newest purchase I will be this year again!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:14 PM

Default 300 win mag

I Use 300 win mag 180 grain sst for elk pretty much a bang flop right away.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhon007 View Post
I Use 300 win mag 180 grain sst for elk pretty much a bang flop right away.
Thats fantastic, im glad they work good for you
Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Banned

A lot of crazy talk on this thread. Any cartridge that's legal to hunt big game with will kill an elk. I understand the op asked for "favorite", so there is going to be a very wide selection to answer that question. The truth of the matter is, is that all legal cartridges are capable, but they all have their limits, as do the shooters. If you want to shoot elk at 800yds I would suggest using a magnum, but the fact that you are asking tells me an 800yd shot is probably a bit farther poke than you're ready for.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 7mm-08 out to 500yds on an elk, or a 308, or a 260, or a 300 magnum, or a 30-06, or a 270. Ballistics, ballistics of any certain bullet will determine what the max range the cartridge is capable of penetrating.

If you're asking what my favorite is just to hear what I like to use, the answer for me personally would be the 280ai, but if you're asking so you know what to use for yourself, pick a comfortable rifle then use it to its potential range, whether it be 200yds, 600yds, 1000 yds, whatever you're capable of.

If you're using 50gr of powder and 140gr of lead, in capable hands you'll be good to 600yds.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A lot of crazy talk on this thread. Any cartridge that's legal to hunt big game with will kill an elk. I understand the op asked for "favorite", so there is going to be a very wide selection to answer that question.
That's a good point, he did ask what people's favourite elk caliber is. All of this talk about the smallest caliber that can do the job really doensn't answer his question. What's your favorite elk caliber and why? He's got a 270 and wants something bigger so those are really the parameters for his question.

My 7mm RM is my favorite rifle, but the difference between a 130 gr 270 and 140gr 7mm or 150 gr 270 and a 160 gr 7mm isn't that big IMO. I still think for something a little bigger than a 270 a 300 WM, 338 WM, 338-06 or 35 Whelen would be great. I suppose even adding a 30-06 would be ok. And the recoils not completely insane with the first 4. Heaviest recoiling rifle I've ever shot is a 338 WM with 250gr. Wouldn't be excited to shoot it prone, but wasn't bad off-hand. Any of these 4 are different enough than a 270 that they'd be better in some circumstances. I'd pick the lightest recoiling one that'd do what you want it to. You've got a hunting rifle that you can buy ammo for at every gas station or corner store that carries it, so buy what you want.

For sure, everyone shoots more accurately with a lighter recoiling rifle so one strategy is to use the lightest recoiling cartridge that'll work. But, another reasonable strategy is to use the heaviest recoiling rifle you can shoot accurately out to your maximum hunting distance for your intended game. For me that's 300 yds on anything bigger than a coyote. So, any rifle I can shoot into 7.5" at 300 yds is reasonable for elk or moose, which means any 2 moa rifle and load could be used.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
8mm Rem Mag.
Out of all the caliber/cartridge threads the elk ones seem ruffle everyone's feathers the most. It's like there some special animal with only the elite hunters chasing them. It's pretty good reading for the most part.

If I was strictly elk hunting or going on a guided hunt, in my cabinet I'd haul out the Big 8.
I would also poke at em with my 6.5rm, 280 and 7mag and not worry to much.

If you have a 270, any of the 300mags would probably be the easiest choice.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The 270 launching a 130gr pill has done it many times so why change?
The grass ain't greener on the other side and dead is dead if you do your part but it is nice to want and or have another

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The 270 launching a 130gr pill has done it many times so why change?
The grass ain't greener on the other side and dead is dead if you do your part but it is nice to want and or have another
Because he said he wanted another rifle in a little bigger caliber that he could use for elk and possibly even bigger or dangerous game someday. Doesn't sound like he's looking for a change, but a second good hunting rifle. Hunting elk is a plenty good reason to buy another rifle
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Because he said he wanted another rifle in a little bigger caliber that he could use for elk and possibly even bigger or dangerous game someday. Doesn't sound like he's looking for a change, but a second good hunting rifle. Hunting elk is a plenty good reason to buy another rifle
Second that