Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If that was what the agreement was, and now they are asked to give up a significant portion of their rights?

I think it is reasonable to negotiate that they should get back a significant portion of what they originally gave up.

I do not think that is ever going to happen, so I do not think the government will be able to weasel out of their deal but may be able to do some closures as per the regulation thing.

Being a non native person I do not think there is anything that protects my right to sport hunt? I accept that I often have to apply and wait my turn and then pay for that privilege in hopes that the government will manage the game so that I can continue to enjoy my sport.

Until such time as a fair agreement can be made I will accept that.
Let's not forget all of the other things that the native people have received that were not specifically mentioned in the treaties. Reading the text of the treaties, I see no mention of access to our universities, hospitals, free medical care in modern hospitals, homes with electricity, running water, central heat, roads to drive on, air strips for remote settlements, community centers with gyms and hockey arenas etc. So in fact, the natives received much more than the things specified in the treaties, meaning that the government has in many ways gone above and beyond to provide more than what was agreed upon. Some will argue that these things are all part of our evolving society and modernization, but then so is the need to regulate hunting to maintain our game populations.