Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Default My Biggest Goldeye and Tiny Mystery Fish!

I tried and failed. Then failed some more. Missing fish after fish until my determination finally paid off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqI0NbzIu2g

Even though I never accomplished my original goal of wading the Blindman with my Fly rod. I managed to covered a ton of new water in todays video. I hope you enjoy the new scenery as much as I did!

In the end I managed to catch my smallest fish and biggest Goldeye. And had an even bigger one spit my hook!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Nice , and good luck on the water !
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Nice video, I think what may be biting you off are goldeye. I find that they like to steel bait tails and that down sizing the jig will help or adding a little stinger hook.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Looks like a young trout.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Nice video, I think what may be biting you off are goldeye. I find that they like to steel bait tails and that down sizing the jig will help or adding a little stinger hook.
Really?! I've noticed they have really small teeth but didn't think they'd be able to bite off pieces of plastic like that!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidhc View Post
Really?! I've noticed they have really small teeth but didn't think they'd be able to bite off pieces of plastic like that!
Your fingers don't have teeth. But they can pull the tail off twister tails easy enough....
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 PM

It is often pretty easy to tell if a pike has bitten the tail off because you can usually see multiple slices in the remaining plastic.

Walleye bite tails off too although walleye like goldeye aren't going to steal a tail easily whereas a pike often gets the tail first try if you don't hook them.

I personally have never liked those spinner rigs for our fish species. You will probably hook up more if you change up and try some different lures. Go smaller if you want to target goldeye.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It is often pretty easy to tell if a pike has bitten the tail off because you can usually see multiple slices in the remaining plastic.

Walleye bite tails off too although walleye like goldeye aren't going to steal a tail easily whereas a pike often gets the tail first try if you don't hook them.

I personally have never liked those spinner rigs for our fish species. You will probably hook up more if you change up and try some different lures. Go smaller if you want to target goldeye.
I just started using them this year and I've had tons of success with various spinnerbaits! They work really well in shallow, weed, or stained water. And i've caught Pike, Walleye, and Goldeye on them!

I definitely would of switched to a inline spinner or spoon if i was strictly targeting Goldeye though.

What kind of lures would you recommend for Pike and Goldeye?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidhc View Post
Next time you catch one check out the teeth they have on their tongues! They use them to hang onto their prey & I'm pretty sure they could make short work of a twister tail.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 AM

You can buy from Northland Tackle these neat little 3" stinger hooks that you just clip onto the eyelet of your spinner.

After clipping it on, run it back and hook it into the base of the twister tail.

They can try and bite the tail off at that point all they want, you'll nail em with the stinger every time. Only issue is more snags that way.

If you finally break out the fly rod, you can nail goldeye on minnow imitation flys and small streamers. Obviously if there's a hatch you'll follow that as well.

Tags
faze, fishing, goldeye, mystery, timid