Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Default PRP therapy for bad back?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has had platelet rich plasma injection for bad disc, and if so, how did it go? Was it worth it or just a waste of time and money? I've been suffering from a herniated and bulging disc in L5 which is causing severe sciatic pain, I'm going to Calgary tomorrow for PRP treatment and I'm curious if anyone can share some experience on this topic.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM

I know someone who had both their knees done with PRP, & it worked out fantastic. Had it done at the Glen Sather clinic in Edmonton. If you can get in they do an assessment on you to see if you're a worthy candidate.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Had it for a gastrocnemius tear. Went well, touch painful but worked. Followed their physio recovery program religiously.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks guys! That gives me something to look forward to, after 4 years of trying everything I could think of and not getting any better I was getting pretty hopeless.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 PM

It's $1500 per injection in Calgary, plus the $100 consult fee (and don't expect a sports med Dr or orthopaedic surgeon to perform the procedure - you get a radiologist)!

I'm into my 2nd prolo injection for a torn common extensor (only $350 per locally). I am going to a clinic in Saskatoon and they only charge $165 per. Jury is still out on whether I will have good results or not... That being said, I get cheap flights to Saskatoon (and have a flexible schedule), so that helps me justify... I couldn't justify the $4500 though, but my injury isn't as debilitating yours... Oh by the way, WCB, AB Health nor private health insurance covers the procedure (unless you have a health spending acct)

-Confucius
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM

You can get free cortisone injections in Alberta. Not quite the same but I get them for the exact problem you have a day they seem to help for a few months. 2 on each side.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
It's $1500 per injection in Calgary, plus the $100 consult fee (and don't expect a sports med Dr or orthopaedic surgeon to perform the procedure - you get a radiologist)!

I'm into my 2nd prolo injection for a torn common extensor (only $350 per locally). I am going to a clinic in Saskatoon and they only charge $165 per. Jury is still out on whether I will have good results or not... That being said, I get cheap flights to Saskatoon (and have a flexible schedule), so that helps me justify... I couldn't justify the $4500 though, but my injury isn't as debilitating yours... Oh by the way, WCB, AB Health nor private health insurance covers the procedure (unless you have a health spending acct)
They quoted me $810 for the procedure after I sent my MRI, the said $110 for the consultation and $700 for the procedure, I'm really hoping it works, otherwise I'll probably have to travel south and get the disc trimmed, since the doctor here is not willing to do surgery.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM

Feel for you as I lived that hell for 10 years. Had microdiscectomy is 2011 and reherniation in 2013 at same level as you. After the 2013 flare up they left a fragment of disc on the nerve and lets just say EMS came to my house twice to take me to hospital. Brutal.

In 2013 had fusion for bottom 3 vertebrae and with exercise, biking, fishing, etc. it is 7/10. Still full of sciatica and doubt that will ever leave due to the years of scar tissue and prolonged injury.

PM if needed and best of luck.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:06 PM

Just got my treatment, and I got the feeling back in my foot about 10 minutes after the injection! So I'm pretty excited now! I might be ready to run in a few days, I'm able to sit up without agony, and I was able to drive too, although driving was still a bit uncomfortable but it wasn't even close to the agony that it was a few days ago when I went for a 10 minute drive to the neighbors. So things are looking up for me.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Just got my treatment, and I got the feeling back in my foot about 10 minutes after the injection! So I'm pretty excited now! I might be ready to run in a few days, I'm able to sit up without agony, and I was able to drive too, although driving was still a bit uncomfortable but it wasn't even close to the agony that it was a few days ago when I went for a 10 minute drive to the neighbors. So things are looking up for me.

Cool. Keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 AM

Awesome news.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:25 AM

Curious...

Do you know if the injection included a steroid (for inflammation management or other pain management meds)? The PRP on it's own doesn't work that quickly...

-Confucius
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 PM

I am also curious to know if PRP will work for serious oestoarthritis?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Yes it is effective for arthritis as well, but the number of treatments depends on the severity of the case. No he didn't use any steroids for inflammation, he injected the plasma and then followed it with ozone gas, the ozone is very effective for reducing the bulge and I think the bulge is what was causing the numbness in my foot. All in all I'd say the pain is about 50% of what it was. Total cost, $660 and totally worth it!