Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Default General Elk Tag

Excuse my lack of knowledge i haven't hunted elk before, my question is how does the General Elk tag work? Is it valid in only certain WMU's? I tried to find the info but had no luck
Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM

I can't speak for all WMU's, but no. It will only be valid in a WMU that has a general elk season. Some will have a draw season, some may have no season at all. Read your regulations, it's all in there.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM

my confusion comes with the "General" part for example General WT is pretty much valid in all of AB. I have tried to read where Gen Elk is good for in WMU's cannot find a list of Gen Elk season WMUs
Old 08-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Look at the wmu you want to hunt, there is either a general season or not.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

Look under the 100,200,300 zones it'll tell you the zone you can hunt under generally
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
my confusion comes with the "General" part for example General WT is pretty much valid in all of AB. I have tried to read where Gen Elk is good for in WMU's cannot find a list of Gen Elk season WMUs
There are difinitely zones where whitetail is not general tag. Pick the zone you want, read the regs. IHunt Alberta is a huge time saver.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM

thanks for the help im pretty sure i have it figured out
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Banned

Remember no area is open for anterless elk on rifle either and some zones are 3 point and some are 6 point zones
Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 PM

What zone do you want to hunt in?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Each zone has its own rules, you need to define the zone first...then you can seek out the rules for that area.

LC
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM

The wmus with a black square need a draw.
If it says general or archery with no square its usually and not always any animal with a bow and a 3 point or a six point with rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM

There is no "general" elk tag, there is an elk tag that is valid in some wmus during the general season, as well as in some wmus during the archery season. You need to consult the regs to determine when and where the elk tag is valid.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Default General

When reading through the particulars of the WMU you wish to hunt just remember that general tag simply means that it is not necessary to be successful in the draw in order to purchase the tag. Which is different than general season. General season meaning you have your choice of weapon. So if your WMU has a general season Sept-Oct 31 but than a draw in Nov it means your general tag is only good for Sept-Oct 31 which typically is archery only. If you have the draw you can hunt off of that tag right through to end of Nov switching to rifle if you so choose only in Nov, provided your tag is still open at that time.

Just like fishing, you have to follow the regs not only for the province but also for the local WMU you wish to hunt.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:04 PM

The regs list it as "ELK – General, non-draw licence"

heres a link to the site go maybe halfway down and it will list the wmus you can hunt the tag obviously pay attention to dates and 3 point or 6.

seasonshttp://www.albertaregulations.ca/pdfs/hunt-draws/General-Hunting-Regulations.pdf
Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 PM

thanks for everyone that helped, Never knew about the black dot next to the dates, that was my confusion, have hunted the same animals in the same few quarter sections for over a decade so never had pay attention because every year i checked it was always the same.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

Cool !!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM

Looking in the more north zones they will usually have a general elk with no draw requires will have requirements on the type of elk
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyharris View Post
Looking in the more north zones they will usually have a general elk with no draw requires will have requirements on the type of elk
yup
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Go to 2017 Hunting Draws Booklet on page 57 all zones are listed under
ELK- General, non-draw licence seasons.

Antlered 6 point or larger.
Antlered 3 point or larger.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM

10 years hunting and he doesn't know what a general elk tag is.. smh
Old 08-15-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
yeah from around age 14 to 24. Haven't hunted elk, haven't had a thought to hunt elk, haven't looked into hunting elk haven't known anybody who has hunted or shot an elk in the time period, so little knowledge on it. Just like sheep, dont care in hunting that species at all so i have no knowledge on it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Banned

There's a paper back called " Alberta Hunting Regulations". Read it, your answers are within.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
There's a paper back called " Alberta Hunting Regulations". Read it, your answers are within.
In fairness to newbies, that stupid black square is easy to miss in a booklet that can be rather intimidating to begin with. In this day and age, I'm sure they could come up with something easier to recognize that a draw is required, different color print..or something?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
yeah from around age 14 to 24. Haven't hunted elk, haven't had a thought to hunt elk, haven't looked into hunting elk haven't known anybody who has hunted or shot an elk in the time period, so little knowledge on it. Just like sheep, dont care in hunting that species at all so i have no knowledge on it.

Just seems odd.. what were you hunting before? Did you have to get a tag to hunt those things? How did you obtain those tags? OTC or Draw?

The overall idea of the tag system isn't species specific so the fact you don't hunt elk shouldn't excuse the fact you don't know the difference between general and draw tags after 10+ years.. mind boggling really.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
God forbid someone ask a seemingly obvious question on here and upset the know-it-all AO gods....
The regs are pretty straight forward but even I have to sometimes read something 3 or 4 times before it clicks. For people that may be unfamiliar with something, the regs may not make sense all the time so they come here for help and some of you s**t on the guy right away or have a Captain Obvious answer.... Classy.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
God forbid someone ask a seemingly obvious question on here and upset the know-it-all AO gods....
The regs are pretty straight forward but even I have to sometimes read something 3 or 4 times before it clicks. For people that may be unfamiliar with something, the regs may not make sense all the time so they come here for help and some of you s**t on the guy right away or have a Captain Obvious answer.... Classy.
Ya because when someone says they have been hunting for 10 years and then asks a question like this it raises a concern.. As hunters we are under constant scrutiny and the actions of one affect us all. So to know this guy has been running around hunting for a decade without knowing the basic laws is a bit concerning..
Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Ya because when someone says they have been hunting for 10 years and then asks a question like this it raises a concern.. As hunters we are under constant scrutiny and the actions of one affect us all. So to know this guy has been running around hunting for a decade without knowing the basic laws is a bit concerning..
Not necessarily. I know about whitetail hunting, a little about elk and mulies. But do I know anything on sheep, goat, bear, etc...? Nope, never hunted them, never had interest hunting them, so I know absolutely nothing about them when it comes to hunting. Guess I am like the OP then too, scary. Guess I better not ask anything about those species if I ever change my mind....
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Your first thread, I actually gave you a hunting tip along with many others. If I acted like you did in this thread.....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=307542
Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Not necessarily. I know about whitetail hunting, a little about elk and mulies. But do I know anything on sheep, goat, bear, etc...? Nope, never hunted them, never had interest hunting them, so I know absolutely nothing about them when it comes to hunting. Guess I am like the OP then too, scary. Guess I better not ask anything about those species if I ever change my mind....
Like I said the Alberta Tag system is not "species specific" the idea of general vs draw isn't different between elk/deer/moose/bear.. Even if I drive a truck I still understand that motorcycles have to stop at red lights too.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Just seems odd.. what were you hunting before? Did you have to get a tag to hunt those things? How did you obtain those tags? OTC or Draw?

The overall idea of the tag system isn't species specific so the fact you don't hunt elk shouldn't excuse the fact you don't know the difference between general and draw tags after 10+ years.. mind boggling really.
yes i would get mule deer or bull moose on draw, has been nov 1 - nov 30 forever in my wmu just like whitetail. I get drawn i got to the regs look at the wmu im in look that it say nov1 - nov 30. thats it, thats all i need, been that way for a decade, never looked for a black box. never looked at archery. I would take a quick glance every year to see if it changed but it hasnt and wont. November is the hunting month the whole month for rifle in my wmu and many others