Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Interim UCP leader Cooper, gave a statement of condemnation ... and that DF's actions are under investigation. Fair enough, as it is important to have a trial before a hanging. Sounding like the UCP is rising to the occasion. Proof will be in the pudding.
I would like to see Nathan Cooper and the rest of the party have this dealt with prior to permanent leader is ordained.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I would like to see Nathan Cooper and the rest of the party have this dealt with prior to permanent leader is ordained.
There should be no reason for delay.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 PM

He is stepping away from the UCP

LC
Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 PM

DF released this statement on his FB:

Quote:
I have decided to step down from the United Conservative Party Caucus.
I have worked for more than a year to help create the United Conservative Party, because Alberta needs a new government that can fight for the common-sense priorities of regular people.
During the fight for unification I said that we must put Alberta before our party, and before ourselves.
This young party cannot afford to be distracted from the formative period that it is in right now as we come together as conservatives. I owe that to my colleagues, my party members, my constituents, and all Albertans.
Right now, media controversy is distracting from the work that must be done as the UCP is founded. The UCP Leadership race should be focused on issues of leadership and values, and not on personalities.
I have made honest mistakes – always doing what I believed was best at the time – and I accept responsibility, and am truly sorry.
As media attention now passes from public issues to private issues, taking responsibility is not enough, and so I have submitted my resignation from the UCP Caucus to our Interim Leader Nathan Cooper.
My time now will be focused exclusively on my family and on the constituents of Strathmore-Brooks, who I am honoured to represent in the Legislature. My family and my constituents are the most important things to me, and I want to do them proud.
I’m a flawed man, and I can do better. If I have let anyone down, know that I have let myself down, and I will prove that that I am the man that I hold as the standard for trust and integrity.
I do this job, because I love Alberta, its land, and its people. I will never stop fighting for them.
Derek Fildebrandt,
MLA for Strathmore-Brooks
All I ask for in my politicians is lack of arrogance towards the tax payer and fiscal responsibility. I don't personally care for DF, but I thought he was at least part of those two categories. Oh how wrong I was.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Now the idiot is being charged with a hit and run.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nses-1.4248562
Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 AM

He should step down as the Strathmore MLA and let them decide who they want to represent them now. Him or someone else. Was he not a very vocal proponent of recall legislation?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 AM

He was a scold over wasteful government spending and misallocation of tax dollars but sure found ways to line his greedy pockets once elected. This type of hypocrisy is sadly very common in politics. The blatant hypocrisy really turns people off politics leading to cynicism and apathy in the public. It turns out politicians, especially the star climbers are in it for themselves and their ego.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Politics is like gardening. Bad weeds need to be removed. Derick Fildebrandt is just a start. Hope the UCP will continue to clean house.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
He is stepping away from the UCP

LC
His statement says he is leaving caucus, not the party or from being an MLA. A flagrant lapse in ethical should get him punted from the party. A pig stepping out of the trough still stinks up the pen.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
His statement says he is leaving caucus, not the party or from being an MLA. A flagrant lapse in ethical should get him punted from the party. A pig stepping out of the trough still stinks up the pen.
^^^^^^^^^yes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
He was a scold over wasteful government spending and misallocation of tax dollars but sure found ways to line his greedy pockets once elected. This type of hypocrisy is sadly very common in politics. The blatant hypocrisy really turns people off politics leading to cynicism and apathy in the public. It turns out politicians, especially the star climbers are in it for themselves and their ego.
You hit the nail right on the head.

I would take it a step further and call what he did criminal. The AirBNB ad didn't accidentally post itself. People definitely make mistakes, but these aren't honest mistakes. This was flagrant.

This is maybe very naive of me, but is there form of rule, law or statute that prevents MLA's from any type of charges?

For example. If I\you came in to work and the company found out that:

1. I rented out the company truck that was provided to me explicitly for work purposes and pocketed the profits, and
2. Submitted inaccurate expenses and pocketed the difference, and
3. Didn't report a hit and run I was involved in

.........I would expect not only to not have a job after that, but for them to even lay charges.

Again, maybe I'm missing something here, but as mentioned above it's really a sad state of affairs that people have gotten so used to this type of behavior from elected officials that it's now expected. And that when it does happen nobody can or will do anything about it.

To then add insult to injury:

“If Derek can live up to the expectations he has outlined in his statement, to the satisfaction of the UCP caucus and to Albertans, there would be consideration for a future path for him back to the UCP caucus.”

Wow.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleat View Post
You hit the nail right on the head.

I would take it a step further and call what he did criminal. The AirBNB ad didn't accidentally post itself. People definitely make mistakes, but these aren't honest mistakes. This was flagrant.

This is maybe very naive of me, but is there form of rule, law or statute that prevents MLA's from any type of charges?

For example. If I\you came in to work and the company found out that:

1. I rented out the company truck that was provided to me explicitly for work purposes and pocketed the profits, and
2. Submitted inaccurate expenses and pocketed the difference, and
3. Didn't report a hit and run I was involved in

.........I would expect not only to not have a job after that, but for them to even lay charges.

Again, maybe I'm missing something here, but as mentioned above it's really a sad state of affairs that people have gotten so used to this type of behavior from elected officials that it's now expected. And that when it does happen nobody can or will do anything about it.

“If Derek can live up to the expectations he has outlined in his statement, to the satisfaction of the UCP caucus and to Albertans, there would be consideration for a future path for him back to the UCP caucus.”

Wow.

The problem is, the party viewed him as a rising star.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Wow.

Derek Fildebrandt can do all the outlining he wants, but his actions have spoken louder than his words. I hope that the voters will vote him back to work, but not as an MLA.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
DF released this statement on his FB:

All I ask for in my politicians is lack of arrogance towards the tax payer and fiscal responsibility. I don't personally care for DF, but I thought he was at least part of those two categories. Oh how wrong I was.
Now if he knew how to do the right thing, he would resign his seat as an MLA and let his valued constituents vote in a new MLA. Being allowed to keep his job as an MLA is hogwash. I see this guy has pension on his mind, and it would appear he want's a golden handshake for his indiscretions.

He needs to grow a pair, and resign from politics period!

BW
Old 08-16-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The problem is, the party viewed him as a rising star.
Maybe that is part of the problem. They are looking for a rising star instead of commitment to a team of honest hard workers that will serve.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:40 PM

I've been saying for a long time.

We used to vote for what a "PARTY" stood for. Their published principles, which governed their policy. And you bought memberships based on the parties position. You either fit or you didn't.

In the 70's the debate started by the Liberals like Peter Lawheed was "do you vote for the man or the party"?

That was a slick way of opening the door in party definition to any ideology from Right to Left, and all points in between.

THE Alberta PC's exhibited that with Sandra Jansen and her cohort who walked to the NDP. The Party even accepted her to run for leadership.

Look toward the USA. How many Republicans are really Liberals.

Now the new party leadership race exhibits far left and ..... One candidate won't tell us what he is.

We're suckers for punishment.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM

I never trust these guys that go right from college to some political organization like the taxpayers federation (Director at age 24, c'mon) or some "think tank" and then run for office in their 20's. I see them as nothing but ambition, with little real world experience (and I get that Harper came up that ladder). I much prefer a person run who has built a career and life in a community, contributed to it, and now wants to serve that community. Someone who's been the business owner, the hockey coach, the Kinsmen president, the volunteer fundraiser, etc.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Yep.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I never trust these guys that go right from college to some political organization like the taxpayers federation (Director at age 24, c'mon) or some "think tank" and then run for office in their 20's. I see them as nothing but ambition, with little real world experience (and I get that Harper came up that ladder). I much prefer a person run who has built a career and life in a community, contributed to it, and now wants to serve that community. Someone who's been the business owner, the hockey coach, the Kinsmen president, the volunteer fundraiser, etc.
The second type do not seem nearly as greasy, do they.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 PM

That's why Washington is in an up-roar. Career politicians plug is being pulled. ROFL.

I think it was CNN that said "the problem is Trump isn't a politician". da

Our own CPC party needs to think outside the box, forget protocol, and panic as Canada sinks into the hole JT is creating.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
He should step down as the Strathmore MLA and let them decide who they want to represent them now. Him or someone else. Was he not a very vocal proponent of recall legislation?
The Constituency is standing behind him

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/16...by-fildebrandt

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
The Constituency is standing behind him

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/16...by-fildebrandt

MAC
Sadly he will probably get reelected. Ideology trumps character for a lot of people.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Unfortunately that's very true. I'm willing to bet he gets re-elcted as well. A lot more quickly than we would hope or think too.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately that's very true. I'm willing to bet he gets re-elcted as well. A lot more quickly than we would hope or think too.
You're probably right, and he'll just be harder to catch unless current process is changed and those who deceive the tax payer for personal gain are jailed for their actions.

BW
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Sadly he will probably get reelected. Ideology trumps character for a lot of people.
You are probably right. The worst part about it for me is how hypocritical he is being. Taxpayer federation, then elected MLA and finance critic. Then he pulls this crap. It is small potatoes, but is that not the way we are being bleed dry.

He should be the shining example.
I dont really know how he should be dealt with. His hit and run in a parking lot is not political, but reflects his persona.

MAC

Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
You're probably right, and he'll just be harder to catch unless current process is changed and those who deceive the tax payer for personal gain are jailed for their actions.

BW
The link I provided states at the end changes are coming.

"The Legislative Assembly Office, which oversees MLA reimbursements, is in the midst of upgrading to a new, electronic system.

The work was underway well before controversies surfaced around multiple MLAs — including Fildebrandt — double-claiming meals on the public dime.

Despite the change, MLAs will still be responsible for filing their claims correctly.
"

MAC

Old 08-16-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
This is true, Exhibit A, The Donald. Bonus points for the pun. Unintended?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
The link I provided states at the end changes are coming.

"The Legislative Assembly Office, which oversees MLA reimbursements, is in the midst of upgrading to a new, electronic system.

The work was underway well before controversies surfaced around multiple MLAs — including Fildebrandt — double-claiming meals on the public dime.

Despite the change, MLAs will still be responsible for filing their claims correctly.
"

MAC

That is good news. Which government initiated this review?

BW
Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 PM

public service (police/FF/EMT/Teacher etc) or military service should be mandatory before entering politics.

BW
Old 08-16-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
That is good news. Which government initiated this review?

BW
Not sure

MAC