Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
The shining hope who wont even release a platform...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3640228/ja...te-in-alberta/

"Former federal cabinet minister Jason Kenney says he won’t have a policy platform as he seeks the leadership of Alberta’s new United Conservative Party.Kenney announced what he called a “grassroots guarantee” in Calgary Tuesday saying he would consult members of the new party and other Albertans before determining what promises he would campaign on as leader in the next provincial election."

0 respect for this bull****
During interviews he has stated that they have written all policies basically from scratch. They are not WR policies or PC policies but UCP policies. He has chosen not to state that "this is what the policies are going to be" but has chosen to have members vote on them.

This is a grass roots approach where the members will decide, rather than a top down approach like another leader candidate has chosen to do. (he will decide what is best) I like the grass roots idea myself.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
They use some of their allowances. Some use very little, and some use all.

The problem here is that DF was renting his place out on AirBnB, and pocketing the revenue, rather than claiming the income and thus reducing the amount he recieved for housing.
And is he the only MLA who is in involved in shady situations like this?

I'm not trying to excuse him, but I don't think for one minute that the NDP have a right to point fingers. The simple truth is that they have cost the taxpayers a whole lot more than Derek F, and you can be assured many are benefiting personally.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

I'm not trying to excuse him, but I don't think for one minute that the NDP have a right to point fingers. The simple truth is that they have cost the taxpayers a whole lot more than Derek F, and you can be assured many are benefiting personally.
Nice deflection attempt.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:

The Edmonton Journal broke the story, not anyone from the NDP. I haven't seen any finger pointing from the NDP. In fact, it looks like Greg Clark of the Alberta Party, along with Brian Jean, and Colin Craig (Canadian Taxpayers Federation) were doing most of the finger pointing. Fildebrandt actually insinuated that he suspected the information became public due to his lack of support for Brian Jean's run for UCP leadership.

WRT who is costing the taxpayers what, that's a whole locked thread in itself. LOL!

If you have info on which NDP MLA's are benefitting personally, I'm sure the Edmonton Journal would appreciate those leads.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM

After reading Rick Bell, I think the whole situation might hurt the new party more than I had thought. Perception is everything in politics, I think the NDP are staying away from this and will drag it up at election time.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/11...andt-did-wrong

The opportunity is right there, a slow underhand pitch right across the plate.

All United Conservative interim leader Nathan Cooper has to do is hit it out of the park.

All Cooper has to do is condemn the actions of United Conservative politician Derek Fildebrandt.

Just say Fildebrandt did wrong.

After all, their boy wonder screwed up. He has digs in Edmonton paid for by the taxpayers of Alberta. But Fildebrandt decided that wasn’t good enough.

He wanted to make money renting his apartment paid for by you, me and the family down the street. He put it on Airbnb.

After all, it wasn’t technically against the rules for provincial politicians. The rules you could drive a truck through.

Fildebrandt made $2,555. What’s the big deal?

But it is a big deal.

A bigger deal since Derek Fildebrandt has long since cast himself as a tireless and fearless fighter for the taxpayer and the sworn enemy of politician entitlement.

The newly-minted United Conservatives want to be seen the same way.

But still United Conservative interim leader Cooper does not say Fildebrandt did wrong.

That’s probably because, in his heart of hearts, Fildebrandt doesn’t believe he is in the wrong.

And what possible morsel of contrition, his non-apology apology and the payback of the money after the story went public, is probably the best the party could wring out of Fildebrandt.

You see, even people calling them conservatives, and some who quite like the man, say Fildebrandt is hard to handle. You can’t tell him anything. He won’t listen. He thinks he’s always right. It’s all about him.

And besides, he’s got zealous fans who will look the other way or embark on any crusade.

So, when the news broke, Fildebrandt didn’t give an inch. In fact, he wanted to take a mile.

“Find someone under 35 with a downtown apartment that doesn’t let their apartment if they’re gone half the year,” he told Postmedia.

“It’s the 21st century.”

Are these other people’s apartments in the 21st century paid for by taxpayers? Didn’t think so.

The next morning, in a written statement, Fildebrandt said his actions didn’t break any rules and were “reasonable” and “a part of the modern sharing economy.”

He spoke of “the politics of smear.” He said he’d donate the $2,555 he made to pay down the Alberta debt.

Roughly 14 hours later, in another written statement, Fildebrandt once again said his actions were “above board” and never cost the taxpayer anything extra.

Fildebrandt then wrote he recognized “the perception that this is not good enough” and Fildebrandt wrote “I apologize” and said nothing more.

It was an odd apology. What was he sorry for exactly? He didn’t say he did anything wrong.

Do most people think he’s sorry? Obviously not.

Cooper seems happy with what the party could get.

“Derek apologized. I take him at his word. I don’t know that I am in a position to judge the genuineness of someone’s apology.”

What does Cooper think of what Fildebrandt did?

Cooper says people have the right to be upset and he was upset because conservatives should have respect for taxpayer dollars.

But does Cooper believe Fildebrandt did something wrong? What does he feel about the choice Fildebrandt made?

“The fact he apologized and agreed to pay the proceeds back is exactly what needed to happen,” says Cooper.

But doesn’t Cooper think it’s important to condemn Fildebrandt’s actions?

All together now. One and a two and a three …

“I think it was important for him to apologize, which he did. I think it was important to pay the money back.”

We get that. We really get that.

But does Cooper think what Fildebrandt did was wrong?

“The public have decided. I don’t think it takes me to say something on whether or not it was right or wrong.”

No, you’re only the interim leader of the party whose banner Fildebrandt carries.

Well, for Cooper, what does Fildebrandt have to do to get back in the good books?

He says it’s up to Albertans to decide.

Right now, Fildebrandt is on a vacation. Stop with those Airbnb jokes already.

He will be taking a leave of absence from his position as a finance critic for the party. The United Conservatives don’t even have the guts to say he was relieved of those duties.

Another try. Does this Fildebrandt yarn give conservatism a black eye for the moment?

It’s tough for Cooper to say.

“It’s important Albertans know the United Conservative party is a principled, unified and compassionate party that takes respect for taxpayer dollars seriously.”

Seriously?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2017, 12:45 PM

it's always interesting to see how people react when confronted with such a

basic moral principal being twisted by anybody, private citizen or public official.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

There are way bigger fish to fry for the betterment of this province. D.F. has apologized and donated any moneys. Water under the bridge. Carry on and get rid of all the dippers.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM

Default More expense issues

More issues with his expenses. Someone has found 9 times where he used a per diem allowance and also claimed a daily meal allowance.
Not a big deal dollar wise, but an issue the Dippers will play on.
This is the garbage that will sink the new party.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Nice deflection attempt.
Not deflecting, calling it like it is.

Pretty sure there was a locked thread sometime ago that discussed Shannon Phillips purchasing land in the castle area, which will increase significantly in value.

My general point is that those who are against the UCP will use this as ammo, when in reality all politicians are in the same boat.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Not deflecting, calling it like it is.

Pretty sure there was a locked thread sometime ago that discussed Shannon Phillips purchasing land in the castle area, which will increase significantly in value.

My general point is that those who are against the UCP will use this as ammo, when in reality all politicians are in the same boat.
When you say things like this, while true, it sounds like you are trying to minimize what happened. It is a big deal, he sabotaged his party for a few measly thousand dollars. he of all people should have known better. The Party by not addressing it, appears to condone it, and I am a Conservative.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
When you say things like this, while true, it sounds like you are trying to minimize what happened. It is a big deal, he sabotaged his party for a few measly thousand dollars. he of all people should have known better. The Party by not addressing it, appears to condone it, and I am a Conservative.
X2 Hopefully, in the near future, the party will hold DF to account. If not, the stink will stick.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Fair enough, I understand your point. Not trying to minimize it, just trying to point out the hypocrisy all around.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
More issues with his expenses. Someone has found 9 times where he used a per diem allowance and also claimed a daily meal allowance.
Not a big deal dollar wise, but an issue the Dippers will play on.
This is the garbage that will sink the new party.

MAC
This is how it starts. A guy gets a lunch or dinner paid for that he shouldn't really have expensed, then his balls get bigger and he expenses other items that aren't legit or the optics of said expense appear to be shady.

Typical of a politician.

BW
Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This is how it starts. A guy gets a lunch or dinner paid for that he shouldn't really have expensed, then his balls get bigger and he expenses other items that aren't legit or the optics of said expense appear to be shady.

Typical of a politician.

BW
I don't like DF, but I still think it's a real shame and quite sad that he gave up his reputation for a few thousand dollars.

I feel that way about anyone who sullies their name for a mere pittance. It's hard to regain credibility and trust, once it's lost, and to do it so cheaply is quite tragic.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM

If the Wildrose Finance Critic has trouble determining what's right when it comes to personally spending tax dollars, god help us.

This little snippet from Wiki on this character... "In December 2012, Fildebrandt released the expense claims of a majority of cabinet ministers,[12] resulting in the firing of one minister and an overhaul of expense policies. " Are you kidding me? Pot, meet kettle. A guy who does that... I don't know how else to say it. He's a crook.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
There are way bigger fish to fry for the betterment of this province. D.F. has apologized and donated any moneys. Water under the bridge. Carry on and get rid of all the dippers.
Apologizing and donating after caught does not equal water under the bridge.
There are lots of politicians out there! Turf D.F. and vet another and keep purging this type of behavior whenever it arises.

As far as I am concerned there should be a probation period for this new party.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

I think his head has swollen dramatically in the last 18 months..he's a young man, time for the new party to say thanks, but no thanks...he can sit on the sidelines for an election or two. He needs time to ponder his image.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
How much water has to go under the bridge before there's enough. Allowing these elected officials to get away with this just because they apologized and replaced the funds misappropriated has to end.

Letting Redfraud off was a kick in the head to Joe Public. She should have went to jail. It's time the electorate took back our legislature and set an example. Show those elected whether it's 5.00, 5,000 or 5 million dollars we won't tolerate being screwed over.

BW
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Get rid of the clown!!! We have enough crooks in politics!:
Old 08-14-2017, 08:58 PM

Sorry, don't know how to post a link from the CBC app to my phone

CBC is reporting DF has been caught double dipping on meals too. They claim he has been caught handing in restaurant receipts on days he also claimed a meal allowance. 9 instances of it.

and.......I completely agree with Hal, I hope he is given a long time out.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Sorry, don't know how to post a link from the CBC app to my phone

CBC is reporting DF has been caught double dipping on meals too. They claim he has been caught handing in restaurant receipts on days he also claimed a meal allowance. 9 instances of it.

and.......I completely agree with Hal, I hope he is given a long time out.
Isn't this fraud? He should get more than a long time out he should be banned from public office. ANY politician who commits fraud should be banned from any form of government.

I wouldn't trust DF To run a lemonade stand!

BW
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
How much water has to go under the bridge before there's enough. Allowing these elected officials to get away with this just because they apologized and replaced the funds misappropriated has to end.

Letting Redfraud off was a kick in the head to Joe Public. She should have went to jail. It's time the electorate took back our legislature and set an example. Show those elected whether it's 5.00, 5,000 or 5 million dollars we won't tolerate being screwed over.

BW
He didn't "get away" with it.
I agree Redfrog should have went to jail.
Have you ever taken a pen from work?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
X2 Hopefully, in the near future, the party will hold DF to account. If not, the stink will stick.
Correct. But IMO the time has past and the stink is stuck. But then, many of us questioned whether they had learned from their trip to the woodshed. Even rugs (RIP) didn't think so. Didn't really take long to see their true colors.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:11 AM

How many have forgot Trudeau's free vacations with other MP's paid for by lobbyists etc? How quickly tha uproar faded.

Likely this smells bad...should not of been done or rules better laid out. We are after all screaming in this thread over $3000.

Not voting UCP makes the NDP smile as that thinking is what they need to win again.

Ideologically the UPC need to be better managed than the NDP and ideologically we need to vote for who is best overall for the province and not based upon the actions of 1.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 AM

Most politicians are the same. They will try to scam every nickle they can from there employer, us ! Mailing letters or parcels through the gov. Long distant phone calls. double dipping allowances. A lot of them could be called thieves or crooks ! Not saying all of them but a lot of them.

How many get payed for serving on a committee of some kind but attend less than 50% of the meetings and get full pay ? How many have thousands of dollars worth of pens , paper etc... at home and never return it when they are ousted ? How many put in for reimbursement for meals that they say was for business and it was actually a family meal costing a few hundred dollars at a fancy restaurant ? How many free travel vacations for family members ?
I wonder how many have gotten laptops and use them for themselves or kids, personal use ?

You only hear about the ones that get caught doing it !

I would put a guess of 10 million per year of all Governments, ( federal, Provincial and city ) across the country. All funded by the tax payer.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Most politicians are the same. They will try to scam every nickle they can from there employer, us ! Mailing letters or parcels through the gov. Long distant phone calls. double dipping allowances. A lot of them could be called thieves or crooks ! Not saying all of them but a lot of them.

How many get payed for serving on a committee of some kind but attend less than 50% of the meetings and get full pay ? How many have thousands of dollars worth of pens , paper etc... at home and never return it when they are ousted ? How many put in for reimbursement for meals that they say was for business and it was actually a family meal costing a few hundred dollars at a fancy restaurant ? How many free travel vacations for family members ?
I wonder how many have gotten laptops and use them for themselves or kids, personal use ?

You only hear about the ones that get caught doing it !

I would put a guess of 10 million per year of all Governments, ( federal, Provincial and city ) across the country. All funded by the tax payer.
I agree.

The only thing I don't totally agree with is the dollar amount scammed, I bet its much higher.

How do we prevent or police this fraud of the taxpayer? Are annual audits needed, or when these are found out are they turfed no matter who they are or what their position is. This includes any politician who was elected to a government of any sort

These elected officials have a fiduciary responsibility to serve the people who elected them honestly and faithfully. Those that don't should be jailed.

BW
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
He didn't "get away" with it.
I agree Redfrog should have went to jail.
Have you ever taken a pen from work?
Taking a pen from work isn't stealing from the Tax payers. Yes I have taken a pen home, found it in my pocket and brought it back the next day.

DF is only sorry that he got caught. I wonder what else he has done, and got away with.

Should be banished from any government.

If the UCP is serious about changing the image of conservatives in Alberta, here is a great start. Kick his ass back where he came from.

BW
Old 08-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:

If the UCP is serious about changing the image of conservatives in Alberta, here is a great start. Kick his ass back where he came from.

BW
Not only do the ucp need to make this start, they need to be quick about it.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Not only do the ucp need to make this start, they need to be quick about it.
I don't know if they can or will before the leadership race is done.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Interim UCP leader Cooper, gave a statement of condemnation ... and that DF's actions are under investigation. Fair enough, as it is important to have a trial before a hanging. Sounding like the UCP is rising to the occasion. Proof will be in the pudding.