Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
. I have watched them being released a few times
Exactly as I thought, you opinion is based solely on watching release or two, not on actually hunting birds that have been free for a few days, and that have survived.

Once again, fenced in elk can't run away, so this is a different situation we are talking about here.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly as I thought, you opinion is based solely on watching release or two, not on actually hunting birds that have been free for a few days, and that have survived.

Once again, fenced in elk can't run away, so this is a different situation we are talking about here.
Let's keep this discussion about the Elk cull and how it might be achieved. Lots of posts have gone off on a tangent, and I prefer to focus on the cull. I know I would love the chance to hunt for even a cow in EINP.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Let's keep this discussion about the Elk cull and how it might be achieved. Lots of posts have gone off on a tangent, and I prefer to focus on the cull. I know I would love the chance to hunt for even a cow in EINP.
Now you tell me to keep the discussion about the elk cull, after you were the one that introduced stocked fish and released pheasants into the discussion.

Quote:
... I am curious if you feel the same way about Pheasant release sites or stocked ponds and lakes and the people who use them?
Last edited by waterninja; 06-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3556173]Now you tell me to keep the discussion about the elk cull, after you were the one that introduced stocked fish and released pheasants into the discussion.[/QUOT

Like I said Elk, let's try to stay on topic.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not saying this cull is wrong, I'm not saying shooting the animals is wrong, I said anyone that thinks it's a hunt isn't much of a hunter. That's my opinion like it or not.

I also said I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the taste of an elk shot at elk Island park compared to Island Lake.
Your opinion! Does it really matter if not everyone agrees with you?

BTW I would have no problem with going to that elk shoot if I lived closer and it wasn't an all out gong show.

I do not think I could tell the difference between elk taken at elk island park or any other, but I would appreciate being given a couple packs of steak from each so I can come to my own conclusion.

I think modern man is competitive and modern hunters have it so easy compared to the first hunters that they can just not help but judge other hunters by their ideas of what hunting is all about.

Can't eat horns
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Your opinion! Does it really matter if not everyone agrees with you?

Not one bit.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM

Default ...

Is this going to be another Suffield deal where they let the natives run threw and then let everyone else pick threw the left overs?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:41 PM

I couldn't give a rat's arse if its behind a big fence, or if I get the horns. God didn't give me canines to eat lettuce. I want meat, and elk is my fav. The rest is all details, as long as residents get an equal chance to fill the freezer.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 AM

Default I understand

Quote:
The park is a pen, outside of the park is free range. Can you understand the difference?

How big is the park maybe 75 square miles that's a lot of free range
Old 06-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post

Exactly. I am about as vehement against hunting behind high fences as anyone, but EINP does fall in that category. First, you mention the size. Secondly, the vast majority of the park is bush, and thick bush at that. This is not like Suffield, where you can see forever. It truly will be a hunt, not a shoot.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post

Well, there is about 8.15 tame elk per square mile trapped in the park compared to 0.039 per square mile of wild elk in the rest of Alberta. That works out to about 0.22 wild elk per hunter in Alberta compared to about 3 tame elk per hunter in the park.

Your chances of seeing an elk would be about 200% greater in the park if they were wild, but being that they are tame you can probably double that statistic, so realistically it would be about 400% greater in the park.

These numbers aren't my opinion (well all except the speculated 400%) they come from estimated numbers given by our government.

Last edited by Kurt505; 06-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well, there is about 8.15 tame elk per square mile trapped in the park compared to 0.039 per square mile of wild elk in the rest of Alberta. That works out to about 0.22 wild elk per hunter in Alberta compared to about 3 tame elk per hunter in the park.

Your chances of seeing an elk would be about 200% greater in the park if they were wild, but being that they are tame you can probably double that statistic, so realistically it would be about 400% greater in the park.

These numbers aren't my opinion (well all except the speculated 400%) they come from estimated numbers given by our government.

I think that you mean 200x , rather than 200%. 200% is only twice as many.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I think that you mean 200x , rather than 200%. 200% is only twice as many.
Ya you are correct, 200x (and 400x) is what I meant. Definitely an excellent opportunity to fill the freezer. Even with a bow I would still consider it to be like hunting cattle...... on a large grazing reserve.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya you are correct, 200x (and 400x) is what I meant. Definitely an excellent opportunity to fill the freezer. Even with a bow I would still consider it to be like hunting cattle...... on a large grazing reserve.
Not much open land in EINP. Check it out:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Imp....8866106?hl=en
Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
Not much open land in EINP. Check it out:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Imp....8866106?hl=en
I've been there, I know exactly what its like.

If you think its a hunt, that's fine by me. I will say the most challenging part of your hunt will be getting a tag, because after that its gravy.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've been there, I know exactly what its like.

If you think its a hunt, that's fine by me. I will say the most challenging part of your hunt will be getting a tag, because after that its gravy.
I know just a little bit about the bush in EINP. Way back in my teens, the park decided their fence needed to be higher and replaced. The problem was, they didn't inform my friend's father, whose farm bordered on the east side, and had three bulls in that bordering field when they tore the existing fence down.

It took us 4 days with the help of the wardens and other staff to move the bulls back out of the farm. It was not fun, not only the bush, but avoiding conflict with the buffalo. That is a gather no one should have to endure.

So, yes, I am quite aware what that park is like, and if you think it will be a shoot like Suffield, you are very mistaken. Very.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know just a little bit about the bush in EINP. Way back in my teens, the park decided their fence needed to be higher and replaced. The problem was, they didn't inform my friend's father, whose farm bordered on the east side, and had three bulls in that bordering field when they tore the existing fence down.

It took us 4 days with the help of the wardens and other staff to move the bulls back out of the farm. It was not fun, not only the bush, but avoiding conflict with the buffalo. That is a gather no one should have to endure.

So, yes, I am quite aware what that park is like, and if you think it will be a shoot like Suffield, you are very mistaken. Very.
Did you got 3 bulls out of the park in 4 days? Or did d you get 3 bulls back in the park?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you got 3 bulls out of the park in 4 days? Or did d you get 3 bulls back in the park?
We finally were able to retrieve the three bulls who were in the west pasture. If anyone thinks that it is fun in there, it is not. BTDT.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
We finally were able to retrieve the three bulls who were in the west pasture. If anyone thinks that it is fun in there, it is not. BTDT.
Did you use a gun? It probably would have cut your time down by about 94hrs.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Being a bit obtuse aren't you. Guess you have no idea what good bulls are worth. Try getting to know at least a bit about agriculture before spouting off.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Being a bit obtuse aren't you. Guess you have no idea what good bulls are worth. Try getting to know at least a bit about agriculture before spouting off.
Let me ask you this,

Do you think they will give you a lasso for the elk cull, or will they let you use a rifle?

Obtuse?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM

If by some chance there is a hunt and I happened to have a tag in my pocket for it, not going to lie I would hope it was during the rut....would be fun to arrow a rutting National Park bull.

I hope it's an additional opportunity, and wouldn't burn up my general tag....I have a streak to maintain

LC
Old 06-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let me ask you this,

Do you think they will give you a lasso for the elk cull, or will they let you use a rifle?

Obtuse?
You're totally missing the point. That is thick bush, it is not interspersed by cutlines, and what you think is a walk in the park, it is clearly not. You have no idea of the terrain back there, so carry on, spout off as you are. I'm sure it makes you feel good.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You're totally missing the point. That is thick bush, it is not interspersed by cutlines, and what you think is a walk in the park, it is clearly not. You have no idea of the terrain back there, so carry on, spout off as you are. I'm sure it makes you feel good.
Every time someone uses the term " walk in the park" I have to laugh to myself, whether it's " pun intended" or not. Sorry to derail. I hope I get a chance to go on "that walk"!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Dats.... a gooder...
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand why you're getting so bent. I'm not spouting off, I'm saying it might be what you consider a hunt, it's not my idea of a hunt. It's a cull and a great opportunity to fill a freezer. If you take offence to that, that's something you'll have to deal with.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question.

If this cull goes ahead using a draw, what is your guess at the success rate of the people who get drawn?

I'm guessing the provincial average would be about 15%
Old 06-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

What do you mean when you say the the Elk are tame? Seems like you have no idea what EINP is like. It is not a petting zoo.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
What do you mean when you say the the Elk are tame? Seems like you have no idea what EINP is like. It is not a petting zoo.
He prolly means those elk have never been shot at....or hunted....they probably arnt even very wary at all due to a shortage of predators. That alone would make them easier to hunt. By a great degree.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
He prolly means those elk have never been shot at....or hunted....they probably arnt even very wary at all due to a shortage of predators. That alone would make them easier to hunt. By a great degree.
Alfalfa cubes and a baseball bat.