Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Default Canadian Land Access Systems????

Does anybody have any knowledge or info on Canadian Land Access Systems?
They are approaching Colonies down south here trying to get them to sign up with them. I'm not sure who their approaching as private land owners. Here is a link to their web page. You need a membership and can pay by the month, monthly for min 6 month or yearly.
https://canadianlandaccess.com/
Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Interesting... Very interesting.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:02 PM

I'm very interested in the details, but at a glance it seems like paid access with a middle man making a cut.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federal View Post
I'm very interested in the details, but at a glance it seems like paid access with a middle man making a cut.
it is paying for access
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Interesting that the government can't make a webpage like this... Again, we all know how a $50,000 webpage will become a 2 million dollar screw-up.

Last edited by Quinn; 10-19-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Actually it doesn't indicate you get paid to list your property, so in my mind it would not be paying for access.

Land users pay a subscription for the contact information of user-friendly landowners. Good idea, but I can see it being very difficult to get a meaningful number of landowners who are willing to grant access to their private land.

Not really seeing the upside to the landowner besides having a structured communication method.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Actually it doesn't indicate you get paid to list your property, so in my mind it would not be paying for access.

Land users pay a subscription for the contact information of user-friendly landowners. Good idea, but I can see it being very difficult to get a meaningful number of landowners who are willing to grant access to their private land.

Not really seeing the upside to the landowner besides having a structured communication method.
It still seems lIke you are paying for access even if the land owner isn't getting a cut
Old 10-19-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It appears that it would allow land users to check in/out as well... Giving landowners insight as to who is on their property at any given time.

Not quite sure I know what I think about this. Part of me wishes I had come up with this idea (I lack imagination). The other part of me thinks that it won't help in curbing trespassers/poachers, and could be used to facilitate a true pay-to-use programme down the road...
Old 10-19-2016, 03:42 PM

From their TOS - not sure why a landowner would sign up so I must be missing something

As a Land-Owner, you may create Listings. To create a Listing, you will be asked a variety of questions about the Property to be listed, including, but not limited to, the location (including a valid physical address), size, features, activities allowed on the Property and terms and conditions for accessing the Property. Listings will be made publically available via the Site and Services. Other Users will be able to send Access Requests via the Site and Services.

As a Land-Owner, you acknowledge and agree that you alone are responsible for any and all Listings and User-Contributed Content you provide for a Listing. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that you own and/or have all the necessary rights and authority to grant access to any Properties listed by you as a Land-Owner. Upon our request, Land-Owners agree to promptly provide us with proof of personal identification, proof that the location of the Property is accurately described in the Listing, and proof of ownership of the Property, and/or authority to grant access to the Property.

Further, as a Land-Owner you represent and warrant that any Listing you post and a Land-User’s access of your Listing: (i) will not breach any agreements you have entered into with any third parties, including any lease, rental or easement agreements; and (ii) will (a) be in compliance with all applicable laws (such as zoning and land use laws and laws governing rentals of properties) and rules and regulations that may apply to any Property included in a Listing you post (including having all required permits, licenses and registrations), and (b) not conflict with the rights of third parties.

Please note that CLAS assumes no responsibility for a Land-Owner’s compliance with any agreements with or duties to third parties, applicable laws, rules and regulations. CLAS reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to remove or disable access to any Listing for any reason, including but not limited to, Listings that CLAS, in its sole discretion, considers to be objectionable for any reason, or otherwise harmful to the Site or Services.

If you are a Land-Owner, you understand and agree that CLAS does not act as an insurer or as your contracting agent or broker. If a Land-User sends an Access Request and accesses your Property, any agreement you enter into with such Land-User is between you and the Land-User and CLAS is not a party to it.

You acknowledge and agree that, as a Land-Owner, you are responsible for your own acts and omissions and are also responsible for the acts and omissions of any individuals who reside at or are otherwise present at your Property at your request or invitation, excluding the Land-User (and the individuals the Land-User invites to the Property, if applicable).

It is each Land-Owner’s responsibility to obtain any required and/or appropriate insurance for their Properties. Each Land-Owner is responsible for reviewing any and all insurance policies that you may have for your Properties carefully, and, in particular, to ensure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the acts or omissions of Land-Users (and the individuals the Land-User invites to the Property, if applicable) while on your Property.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:43 PM

This does nothing for private landowners, however it would maybe benefit lease holders on managing access.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:05 PM

This is a good way to be able to plan activities. Mostly hunting but any land access and fishing spots without having to walk miles down the banks. Good way to be able to take the kids out and know you have a place to go and not be searching for permission all day. The land owners should like it too not having people at all hours in their yard asking for permission for their land or land they don't own. I've spent many days driving and glassing more than hunting and if this changes that I'm all for it
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM

Very Cool Idea, but I don't see Private Landowners Signing Up for this,...
Could Control other Land Access though.
Wonder how many Listings they currently have, couldn't find any info on that?
Jonathan
Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
Does anybody have any knowledge or info on Canadian Land Access Systems?
They are approaching Colonies down south here trying to get them to sign up with them. I'm not sure who their approaching as private land owners. Here is a link to their web page. You need a membership and can pay by the month, monthly for min 6 month or yearly.
https://canadianlandaccess.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
it is paying for access
Quote:
It appears that it would allow land users to check in/out as well... Giving landowners insight as to who is on their property at any given time.

Not quite sure I know what I think about this. Part of me wishes I had come up with this idea (I lack imagination). The other part of me thinks that it won't help in curbing trespassers/poachers, and could be used to facilitate a true pay-to-use programme down the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
From their TOS - not sure why a landowner would sign up so I must be missing something

As a Land-Owner, you may create Listings. To create a Listing, you will be asked a variety of questions about the Property to be listed, including, but not limited to, the location (including a valid physical address), size, features, activities allowed on the Property and terms and conditions for accessing the Property. Listings will be made publically available via the Site and Services. Other Users will be able to send Access Requests via the Site and Services.

As a Land-Owner, you acknowledge and agree that you alone are responsible for any and all Listings and User-Contributed Content you provide for a Listing. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that you own and/or have all the necessary rights and authority to grant access to any Properties listed by you as a Land-Owner. Upon our request, Land-Owners agree to promptly provide us with proof of personal identification, proof that the location of the Property is accurately described in the Listing, and proof of ownership of the Property, and/or authority to grant access to the Property.

Further, as a Land-Owner you represent and warrant that any Listing you post and a Land-User’s access of your Listing: (i) will not breach any agreements you have entered into with any third parties, including any lease, rental or easement agreements; and (ii) will (a) be in compliance with all applicable laws (such as zoning and land use laws and laws governing rentals of properties) and rules and regulations that may apply to any Property included in a Listing you post (including having all required permits, licenses and registrations), and (b) not conflict with the rights of third parties.

Please note that CLAS assumes no responsibility for a Land-Owner’s compliance with any agreements with or duties to third parties, applicable laws, rules and regulations. CLAS reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to remove or disable access to any Listing for any reason, including but not limited to, Listings that CLAS, in its sole discretion, considers to be objectionable for any reason, or otherwise harmful to the Site or Services.

If you are a Land-Owner, you understand and agree that CLAS does not act as an insurer or as your contracting agent or broker. If a Land-User sends an Access Request and accesses your Property, any agreement you enter into with such Land-User is between you and the Land-User and CLAS is not a party to it.

You acknowledge and agree that, as a Land-Owner, you are responsible for your own acts and omissions and are also responsible for the acts and omissions of any individuals who reside at or are otherwise present at your Property at your request or invitation, excluding the Land-User (and the individuals the Land-User invites to the Property, if applicable).

It is each Land-Owner’s responsibility to obtain any required and/or appropriate insurance for their Properties. Each Land-Owner is responsible for reviewing any and all insurance policies that you may have for your Properties carefully, and, in particular, to ensure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the acts or omissions of Land-Users (and the individuals the Land-User invites to the Property, if applicable) while on your Property.

The site is paid to use, if you participate it will pay to use.

As a troll I can see some advantages. But I troll.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:22 AM

absolutely no benefit to the landowners...definitely increased potential liability should someone get hurt/killed on their property...even if they had good intentions, I see the liability outweighing any benefit.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:15 AM

I don't see any benefit of this, especially to the landowner. It's not very hard at all to find out who owns a piece of land and get in contact with them for permission, I don't need to pay a subscription to get contact info.

There are some landowners who don't mind letting people on for hunting or other recreational access such as access to a part of a river, for example. But I'm sure they don't want to advertise that on a website, so the hunter friendly landowner may list 'no hunting' on this program.

In the end I just see this as turning into a database of 'no hunting' and would only serve to further restrict access, and also act as a vehicle to paid access.

I think this is a very bad idea.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 AM

What ever happened to posting your land if you don't want people hunting? I would say that would be easiest for everybody.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Default Really?

I am sure that this web sight will crash any minute (just like alberta relm) with all the land oweners trying to sign up. The land oweners around here are just begging to have there name on the web so everyone can come on out and enjoy there land.......
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Be curious to know who has actually signed up for this and how many listings there actually are.

The site certainly does not provide much information on this aspect.

Edit - I clicked on the search (Bottom left) and a map comes up. Most of the 25 or so properties are south of Calgary.

Last edited by CMichaud; 10-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:57 AM

I just signed up on this program after trying to get permission to hunt on one of the Colonies. Personally, I would recommend this to any hunter. After you join, you search for the land you want to hunt, submit your request on the day you want to hunt, and wait for the reply. Within 15 minutes I was granted access and was given the rules for hunting on their land.
After speaking with the fellow, I can see the benefits for them and any other landowner. They now have control of their land. All bookings and requests are sent to them, and it's easier to manage the number of people on their land per day. He said he can look at any time of the day who and where people are on his property by checking their scans (you scan in when get there at their access point, and scan out when you leave). This guy actually opened up more land to hunting now that he can monitor it which is great for the rest of us.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Not to mention it's a private company [ individual / s ] that if it takes off could make literally thousands of dollars a month from the app fees. Say only 1000
sign up for the monthly access $29,990. going somewhere. Bulldozer your first post on AO is totally supportive and informative about the system. What's your investment in it?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 PM

No investment. I found this forum when I was searching for Canadian Land Access. It was the only thing that google found so I signed up to get some info on it.
Ya, guess I'm the odd man out on this thread. I'm new to hunting so this will help me big time, I really have no comparisons other than driving for days last year with barely any access given to me. I took 4 days off work, so needless to say I was very frustrated by the end.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
Not to mention it's a private company [ individual / s ] that if it takes off could make literally thousands of dollars a month from the app fees. Say only 1000
sign up for the monthly access $29,990. going somewhere. Bulldozer your first post on AO is totally supportive and informative about the system. What's your investment in it?
Nothing like profiting off someone else's land.

I also have the same suspicions but will give the benefit of the doubt for now, while repeating my stance that is a bad idea. Not trying to wish ill-will on anyone, nor am I wanting to see someone lose a bunch of invested money, but I really hope this goes away in the very near future.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:48 PM

Default .

so payed to sign up on this, went to download the app for android (google apps) the link provided does not work, called them about it, turns out google has not yet approved the app. my other question to them was, what is stopping anti hunters from using there system and booking land to keep hunters off, couldn't answer that one.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Spoke with one of the colonies in southern alberta last week that say they will use this system. I only hunt their colony in that WMU and drew out for white tailed does specifically to thin them out a little for the colony and fill my freezer. The tags cost a total of under $20, but this CLAS system costs $30 for one month of access (I WILL NOT PAY MORE THAN DOUBLE FOR MY DOES). Researched some more on their website that night and beyond the cost noted a few problems. Each landowner or colony can have multiple checkin/checkout points on their land which you would have to book separately, but the problem is, is that the map only shows the check in spot to book, but it is unclear of the boundary of the area that it covers. Back to the cost of it, it is a per person basis, so if I wanted to hunt there with my wife and one or two kids the cost of a hunting trip increases substantially. I know the reasoning for trying this system by this particular colony as they have try to have people park and walk in on their land, but have had little luck with enforcement. Myself and others that we hunt with have reported multiple disrespectful hunters on their land as they have ruined many of our hunts. (nothing worse that sitting for 2 hours in the morning or evening to have someone drive right up to or past you in their truck!).

I think taking some cues from hunting in Wainright could go a long way. I am only referring to the colored paper in the dash each day to show you have permission to be there. A landowner could post their land with a sign with the following.

Hunting by permission only
Permission slip required, clearly visible on dash of vehicle and with each hunter

I realize this is 2 copies, but if each permission slip were prenumbered, they could have a record of those with permission and those who they will deny permission in the future. I know there is good and bad to a lot of ways to manage access, but the biggest problem I have seen with this colony and probably others is that everybody on the colonies works on the colony and they cant just send someone to monitor their land all of the time, but this way would be easy for those with access to report others as well because I would just snap a picture of the vehicle and license plate and text it to the colony contact.

Anyways, my final thought is that this wont last as the price point is too high for a system that seems to bring in some good ideas, but that are very poorly executed.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes it does sound interesting, but I would really like to see more info.
..How long has this site been up?
..How many properties are on their list?
.. Is all of AB covered?
.. What do they mean by "booking" permission.
Lots more questions. Very little info given. I have yet to see one of these yellow signs anywhere I hunt. Quite honestly, it sounds like a scam to me.
I am going to see what google has to say about them.

EDIT... Very little info on google. The more I look into this "service" the more it seems to me that it is geared more towards people in buisness, such as builders, contractors, surveyers, oil/gas exploration, forestry etc. Don't think it was ever meant to be used for getting hunting permission.

Last edited by waterninja; 10-24-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 AM

A couple questions that the new members here should be able to answer.

Do you have to pay to become a member in order to request permission to access these properties?

Or is the paid membership only for the landowners that list their properties?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A couple questions that the new members here should be able to answer.

Do you have to pay to become a member in order to request permission to access these properties?

Or is the paid membership only for the landowners that list their properties?
You can click away on the website and "sign-up"

Signing up sends you the costs of membership. So to request access you must be a paid member.

For listing property, you have to purchase signs to be posted at land access points. $50/sign.

That's as far as I got with 5 minutes of clicking.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:31 AM

As a land owner, I'd still prefer if the people wanting access came to me and asked. I'd rather see your face and see what vehicle you're driving, than just a website post.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
You can click away on the website and "sign-up"

Signing up sends you the costs of membership. So to request access you must be a paid member.

For listing property, you have to purchase signs to be posted at land access points. $50/sign.

That's as far as I got with 5 minutes of clicking.
After reading the terms of agreement, I stopped the membership application process.

Ok, so this likely IS paid access according to Alberta law.

The Company, NOT the Landowners, could be acting illegally, in Alberta.

Not only that, but this system, in accepting money from the person accessing the properties, possibly puts both the company and the Landowner into a much higher liability position than if the Company and Landowner allowed access without any fees involved.

Nope, not gonna buy into this one....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM

Saw they have added the "King Lease" in Southern Alberta which looks to be GRL 33310... now not only would you be paying to access land.. you would be paying to access land that you already have rights to access.. this is a mess I hope they get shutdown.

Last edited by cdales; 10-27-2016 at 12:53 PM.