Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Snow Geese Decoy Recommendations

Hey all,

Looking for advice on the best brand of sock type decoys to buy for the spring season. We have some sillouettes but we want some movement to fill out the spread. any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Lots of different socks in the snow goose spreads. Silo-socks are probably the most used sock for good reason,,, they work! White rocks are gaining a lot of fans as well, with their collapsible support system, they do pack up well.

I also like the deadlies , but they do not pack up as well as the white rocks or silo- socks if that is a concern. Slammer socks have extra long stakes which get well above tall stubble and are good for hiding among.

I use all of the above in my spread (plus a bunch of retrofitted north winds and knutsons ),,,, but for portability, it's hard to beat silo socks and white rocks which is what I would concentrate on for a spring snow goose spread given that the fields are often too wet to drive onto in the spring.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 PM

This is great info!!! Thank you so much. Any advice on best place to buy Silosocks?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsann343 View Post
This is great info!!! Thank you so much. Any advice on best place to buy Silosocks?
I will be sort of using this first year as a "scouting" year, and am not going to buy a lot of snow goose decoys until I see how many birds actually migrate through the area I hunt. There are lots in the fall, not sure about the spring?I have about 5 dozen snow goose silo decoys already and am thinking of trying the "white bag" decoys for another 10 or 15 dozen. The bags are about 10 bucks for 100 and I can pick up the steel stakes for .35/each, so about another 35/100. Already have an E-caller.

I have never hunted snows in the spring but in all the reading and researching it seems that the real key, to bringing the snows into range are the rotary machines. Just watch some videos on these, the birds go to these rotaries, like bees to honey. I am sure the reality is that they don't always decoy really well to the rotaries, but that is waterfowl hunting of any kind, the birds don't ALWAYS do everything they are supposed to, in any season.

I am not sure where or if you can buy the rotaries in Alberta, I couldn't find a supplier, but in the US they are about 230-300 bucks for a two or four bird flyer and another 50 or so for shipping.

I have an alternative for the rotary machine, but if you want to make your own rotary you can buy the 12V motors on ebay for about 100 bucks, the materials (steel) I don't think would be that much but getting the welding done (should be minimal) might cost a bit, if you don't have a welder yourself.

To answer your question, if you are looking to buy decoys, these are the cheapest I found, cost is 17-20/dozen and shipping is free from China. These do not include the stakes which you can buy locally and would cost another 35.00/100.
http://www.skyflydecoys.com/
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the great info Bobalong. We are fortunate to have a farmer in the oyen area that scouts their migration and let's us know when they arrive. We hunted in the fall when the flocks were heading south and their were 1000's of Snows. At that time we were hunting specks and Canadas, so the snows were not interested in our spread.

We are going to give this spring hunt a shot but need to attempt to build out our spread. Those electrical mojos work great, but I dont see me investing in that for the spring. I was hoping the socks would provide enough movement. That with some good pre scouting, we should land in a field they are feeding in.

I will look into the chinese recommendation. Thanks again for all the feedback!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I will be sort of using this first year as a "scouting" year, and am not going to buy a lot of snow goose decoys until I see how many birds actually migrate through the area I hunt. There are lots in the fall, not sure about the spring?I have about 5 dozen snow goose silo decoys already and am thinking of trying the "white bag" decoys for another 10 or 15 dozen. The bags are about 10 bucks for 100 and I can pick up the steel stakes for .35/each, so about another 35/100. Already have an E-caller.

I have never hunted snows in the spring but in all the reading and researching it seems that the real key, to bringing the snows into range are the rotary machines. Just watch some videos on these, the birds go to these rotaries, like bees to honey. I am sure the reality is that they don't always decoy really well to the rotaries, but that is waterfowl hunting of any kind, the birds don't ALWAYS do everything they are supposed to, in any season.

I am not sure where or if you can buy the rotaries in Alberta, I couldn't find a supplier, but in the US they are about 230-300 bucks for a two or four bird flyer and another 50 or so for shipping.

I have an alternative for the rotary machine, but if you want to make your own rotary you can buy the 12V motors on ebay for about 100 bucks, the materials (steel) I don't think would be that much but getting the welding done (should be minimal) might cost a bit, if you don't have a welder yourself.

To answer your question, if you are looking to buy decoys, these are the cheapest I found, cost is 17-20/dozen and shipping is free from China. These do not include the stakes which you can buy locally and would cost another 35.00/100.

Where can you purchase the stakes?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Looking for advice on the best brand of sock type decoys to buy for the spring season. We have some sillouettes but we want some movement to fill out the spread. any advice would be appreciated.
All you need is black and white newprint. throw some rocks or clumps of dirt on it to hold it down so it wont blow away. the flapping brings them in. Not the smartest bird on the planet.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemac1 View Post
Where can you purchase the stakes?
I am just confirming the address now, the company (Canadian Lawn Signs) shows Edmonton as a dealer location, but I could not find the address. I have sent them an email, and will post results when they reply.
Most of the sign companies sell them

http://www.canadalawnsigns.com/stakes.html
Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
All you need is black and white newprint. throw some rocks or clumps of dirt on it to hold it down so it wont blow away. the flapping brings them in. Not the smartest bird on the planet.
I have read about that, but I would like to reuse them, and it can be pretty damp and rainy in April/May, concerned how the newsprint would hold up in that.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Have you hunted snow geese in the last 20 years? With newsprint? Diaper rags? Paper towels?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Banned

As I mentioned before I think a rotary is the key, but there does not seem to be any available locally. I would have to order on line, and with shipping and our poor dollar price I am looking at close to 500 bucks for just the rotary. Too much to spend.....yet.

So my idea is to use one of my bow mount trolling motors as a rotary. It is a 70 lb thrust with a remote. The guide for purchasing an electric trolling motor is to have 2 lbs. of thrust for every 100 lbs, so I don't believe power is going to be an issue, as the total setup with bracket, 4 arms and dekes would be less than 20 lbs. The remote can stop, start, vary speed, and even change the angle if I need to. Might be a bonehead idea, or it might work great...........what do you think?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:21 AM

Bobalong,

I think you are on to something,,,, you should be able to make a very functional rotory out of a trolling motor with that kind of thrust and variable speed.

Good luck with your project!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Bobalong,

I think you are on to something,,,, you should be able to make a very functional rotory out of a trolling motor with that kind of thrust and variable speed.

Thanks, going to start picking up some of the stuff I will need tomorrow, hopefully be able to try it out in a week or so. Or maybe someone has done this already, if so, what type of bracket did you use for the arms?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks, going to start picking up some of the stuff I will need tomorrow, hopefully be able to try it out in a week or so. Or maybe someone has done this already, if so, what type of bracket did you use for the arms?
I also wish you luck. Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 AM

If you have Canada goose decoys you could buy a couple cans of white and black plastidip and spray them. then peel it off after season
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Wayne jinga is the guy to talk to he will ship 10 dozen of those printed decoys with a backbone support for $420 to your door. the printed bags alone are $200 for 10 dozen shipped that's just the bags
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Wayne jinga is the guy to talk to he will ship 10 dozen of those printed decoys with a backbone support for $420 to your door. the printed bags alone are $200 for 10 dozen shipped that's just the bags
Oh wow! That seems like a very good deal. Is he a member on here? Did you do this Pointer?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Oh wow! That seems like a very good deal. Is he a member on here? Did you do this Pointer?
I bought some a while back just to See how they look and how their support system was set up. they have changed their system since then but still a good decoy they were only 350 per 10 dozen then they have went up since the back bones changed I should of bought more at the time
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
I bought some a while back just to See how they look and how their support system was set up. they have changed their system since then but still a good decoy they were only 350 per 10 dozen then they have went up since the back bones changed I should of bought more at the time
No doubt!!! $350 for 10 dozen is quite affordable! I will have to look into that as well. So many good options.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:36 AM

image.jpgAttachment 103866 that's a pic of that they look like
Old 02-22-2015, 08:39 AM

image.jpg
Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bobalong,

Might have to rethink this, as the trolling motor has to be operated in the water for cooling. I could use a small pail/tub and have the motor submerged in there while operating, but it will definitely add to the PIA factor.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Might have to rethink this, as the trolling motor has to be operated in the water for cooling. I could use a small pail/tub and have the motor submerged in there while operating, but it will definitely add to the PIA factor.
Devil is always in the details!!!

We once tried filling white balloons with helium and then tied a pair together onto a fishing rod and reel. Worked great on the warm afternoon with just a light breeze on our trial run,,, opened the reel bale and the balloons went 50 yards up and fluttered down nicely when we reeled them in.

Little did we realize that in the morning, cold air would cause the ballooons to deflate ,,,,and moderate to strong winds would drive the balloons down hard unto the stubble popping the balloons when we closed the reel bale. Now throw in the inconvenience of hauling around a helium tank ,,,, and let's just say we quickly abandoned the idea before anybody saw us!!!

As they say, "The best made plans ,,,,,,"
Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 AM

Have you tried any of the flags or kites? The kites seem like they need a windy day.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why not us the motor out of a variable speed drill, you could regulate the speed using the trigger, use the chuck to hold the bracket for the poles.
Easy to assemble\disassemble. Run it with a small 12 volt atv battery.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Have you hunted snow geese in the last 20 years? With newsprint? Diaper rags? Paper towels?
Yes. And it worked with paper towels
Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Why not us the motor out of a variable speed drill, you could regulate the speed using the trigger, use the chuck to hold the bracket for the poles.
Easy to assemble\disassemble. Run it with a small 12 volt atv battery.
Thanks, great idea, actually the drill itself might work, just need to wire an invertor onto the battery for 110 and lock the trigger on.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Find an old windshield wiper motor and a rheostat switch. Make a mount for the motor and a plate with 3 "receivers" made from 1" square tubing. Use a short chunk of 3/4" tubing with a length of 1/4 rod welded into it for your rotary arms and attach your flyers at the end of that. Silosock flyers will attach directly to the rod, you just have to bend it up a bit to get them to fly right. You also will need a lock bolt of some sort on the receivers to hold the rotary arms in place...
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Just seen jim jones has a sale on the sillosocks $600 for 12 dozen printed socks
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:

Go ahead and spend your thousands. I have hunted snow geese since I was 14, that's 40 years plus. The only decoys I have ever bought were floaters for ponds and sloughs. I have had literally thousands of snow geese land and love having stareing contests with them. It's deafening and an experience of the finest. Ducks and Canada's also land in them. They are good for a morning and evening hunt, then we simply gather up and put in garbage bag. Very easy to set up and take down. They also flap around in the wind which attracts the birds. Don't knock it till you try it, you might like it.