Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Trailcam suggestions

Hey guys so who makes the best trailcam? I'd like one that will send me a text when a pic has been taken thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Spypoint

Check out spypoint cams, these guys are here in Canada(Montreal( and make the best cams IMO. I have several of them with Wifi and they work amazing.
I ProStaff for them as I feel that supporting Canadian companies with great products is essential for our economy. They also have Excel cams which are the top competition to GoPro
Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 PM

Reconyx is the best. Hands down. They are quite expensive though and the LCD display screens start to crater after a few years. The camera is still functional and you can still adjust settings using your computer, just can't read the on camera display. Reconyx will repair/replace problems for life though.

After that, I like Ltl Acorn cameras over everything else I have used. They are considerably more affordable than Reconyx as well.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM

I run about 20 cams (Moultrie, spypoint, wildgame innovations, Ridgetec, simmons and bushnell)and agree with HunterFisher that Spypoint is hands down the best cams that I own. They are reasonably priced, battery life is insane and the pics are good quality.

I only have one cellular cam, I had a Uway, it stopped working after 2 months, so they replaced it with a ridgetec last year (same as Uway, just a new name) I have had it out for a month and it seems to be working ok, however I only have about a month experience with it.

If it were me buying another cell cam, I would go spypoint for sure based on the how well their other cams work for me.

my $0.02

DR
Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM

I have a UWAY (Ridgetec). It worked fine for a couple years but recently stopped sending pictures. I called Ridgetec in Lethbridge and they were awesome as far as customer service. sent me some updates and spent a while on the phone with them and camera is up and running again. It's the only data camera I have so I have nothing to compare to but I can definitely say they stand behind the product which means a lot.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Reconyx is the best. Hands down. They are quite expensive though and the LCD display screens start to crater after a few years. The camera is still functional and you can still adjust settings using your computer, just can't read the on camera display. Reconyx will repair/replace problems for life though.

After that, I like Ltl Acorn cameras over everything else I have used. They are considerably more affordable than Reconyx as well.
End of discussion. Just depends if you really want to pay those $$. I love my Reconyx, but have a new spypoint I'll be putting up to try next.

Mine however do not send a pic via text, or email. So, can't really answer that one, but I still bet the Reconyx is top of the heap even with text capability.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM

I've only used Spypoint and Stealthcam. In the future I'll be buying more Spypoints. Very happy with them.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Spypoint, the great thing about their cell cameras is the SIM card works with 3 carriers - Bell, Telus, Rogers which makes things easy to set up as the plan is done through Spypoint.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM

I've tried bushnell, simmons, spypoint, ltl acorn, moultrie, and stealth cam. My favorite is bushnell but stealth cam is a close second. Ltl acorn used to be my favorite but I find they miss a lot of pictures. The other brands are all decent but each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

always liked the bushnell HD's but recently tried 2 brownings and they are awesome for the price you pay. had them on video this winter and you could hear the bucks grunting. I was impressed. I also put it downstairs the other day to see which one of my dogs kept peeing on my bar, and I could hear the little b*stard sniffing before he peed. it wasn't the dog I thought it was though, whoops. 0.4s trigger speed and I had them running in -30, the batteries are the only thing that don't last when its that cold. wait until they go on sale though, they usually drop down to about $119-$129
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

I agree with what's above about Browning cams being good. My gripe with them is there small battery compartment which leads to short life if you are getting lots of pictures.

Flipside is the compactness is nice.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:03 PM

I have a spypoint, can't get signal in my area. Just my experience, takes great pictures at least! Bought it on sale for half price at wholesale. Really can't complain, wouldn't be happy if I had paid full price.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 PM

Looks like I'll be getting a spypoint any tips to help against theft?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 PM

If on public land, put it deep enough where people don't go and out of sight. I am pretty new to cameras myself, but I figured this is the only fool-proof (sort of) theft protection.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 AM

My bushnell trophy HD is probably the best camera I've tried yet. Battery life is fantastic, even in video mode. Image quality is top notch, and very little false triggers.

I've tried a couple Moultries that were absolute garbage and had to be returned. Terrible detection reliability, awful auto exposure, image quality was terrible, and they would freeze randomly ( bought multiple of their top model and all had same issues).

Also just bought a spy point solar that seems solid, not as good as the bushnell, but close. But it just went out to the field for the first time, so need more time to evaluate.

I've also tried a handful of other brands like browning, stealth cam, etc. All were decent. But the above stand out the most.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Default I have a mini live 4G for sale

Bought it brand new last year and loved it so I bought 2 newer versions

comes with a new sim card here are the details in the link

https://www.spypoint.com/EN/products...i-LIVE-4G.html

$250 and its yours

Being defeated is optional!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 PM

How do the data plans work?
Share with existing phone plan? Add on to existing plan? Restrictions/limitations to which providers I can choose?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 PM

See the link and click on Canada. A preactivated SIM card comes with the trail cam, plan is done through Spypoint. The one SIM card works with Bell Telus and Rogers.

https://www.spypoint.com/plans/

Last edited by Duk Dog; 08-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 AM

+1 on the bushells. They seem to be the simplest while taking the best photos
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Spypoint, the great thing about their cell cameras is the SIM card works with 3 carriers - Bell, Telus, Rogers which makes things easy to set up as the plan is done through Spypoint.
With any cellular camera from Spypoint purchased this year you get a free basic plan. If you get a 3 month hunting plan and don't have the need for an annual plan, your camera will still send up to 100 pictures to your MySpypoint account (free) viewable on your mobile device or computer during the months when your hunting plan is not active. Meaning you can still use the camera and receive up to 100 free pictures a month and anything beyond that is saved onto your sd card like a regular camera.

The new LINK Evo is on sale right now http://www.cabelas.ca/product/98502
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Default Spypoint Mini Live 4G

The theft proof that other cameras in the past had is now gone. An internal GPS could tell you if the unit has moved and internal battery kept the GPS charged for 30 days

EVO does not have it

look for this when buying those camera

Theft alert notification via myspypoint.com

Being defeated is optional!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Spypoint Black Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
Looks like I'll be getting a spypoint any tips to help against theft?

The Tiny WBF transmits to a small device called a black box up to 250' away so you will always get your pics from there as it uploads automatically. This wont prevent anyone from stealing it but if they do steal it you can have access to the pictures via the Black Box which may have a shot of who it was.

They also sell metal cages but a thief is a thief and they can be relentless.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Tessier View Post
With any cellular camera from Spypoint purchased this year you get a free basic plan. If you get a 3 month hunting plan and don't have the need for an annual plan, your camera will still send up to 100 pictures to your MySpypoint account (free) viewable on your mobile device or computer during the months when your hunting plan is not active. Meaning you can still use the camera and receive up to 100 free pictures a month and anything beyond that is saved onto your sd card like a regular camera.

The new LINK Evo is on sale right now http://www.cabelas.ca/product/98502
Too bad it wouldn't work as advertised!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Too bad it wouldn't work as advertised!
Contact their tech support 1-888-779-7646. I've got the same camera had a similar issue and called them. 1 bar seems to be a no go, 2 bars can be hit and miss, but 3+ bars has worked just fine. I find it is no different than my cell phone, with low bars I can text words, but larger files/data (photos) won't go through unless there is a stronger cell signal.