Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I never trust these guys that go right from college to some political organization like the taxpayers federation (Director at age 24, c'mon) or some "think tank" and then run for office in their 20's. I see them as nothing but ambition, with little real world experience (and I get that Harper came up that ladder). I much prefer a person run who has built a career and life in a community, contributed to it, and now wants to serve that community. Someone who's been the business owner, the hockey coach, the Kinsmen president, the volunteer fundraiser, etc.
I couldn't agree more, but in the future I think we will see more young people in politics and less Kinsmen presidents. Politics is too dirty today, and with social media and the internet, your past is too easy to dig up. Older guys aren't willing to risk embarrassment while young guys, just don't have that much of a past to dig up.

I'm not talking about criminal activity, but failed business ventures or little things you aren't really proud of, but are the past. In a recent provincial election a Liberal candidate here had drunken social media rants posted by his opponent's camp that he made right after his spouse had died. That's low. I think that scares off a lot of guys with real life experience.

The truth is, life experience has highs and lows.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Possible Criminal Record

If Derick Fildebrandt is convicted for the hit and run accident he then would have a criminal record. It's my understanding that he would then have to resign his position as a MLA member.

I hope that it doesn't result in his forced resignation. He should spent a few bucks on a good lawyer and there are some good one out there to be found.

I think Derick Fildebrant could and will turn out being a good MLA now that he knows much better. He is still a young person. He should have this reset button pushed.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
This is true, Exhibit A, The Donald. Bonus points for the pun. Unintended?
LOL unintended, I didn't even see it until you pointed it out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
If Derick Fildebrandt is convicted for the hit and run accident he then would have a criminal record. It's my understanding that he would then have to resign his position as a MLA member.
It is unfortunate, but Dereck Fildebrandt will probably not have to resign because of a Criminal conviction.

Since it was a parking lot accident, he will probably be charged with leaving the scene of an accident without contacting owner of other vehicle or failing to report an accident which is just a summary conviction offense under the traffic act.

Criminal Code charges are usually reserved for more serious offences other than bump and go.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
The Constituency is standing behind him
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/16...by-fildebrandt
MAC
That is why the UCP should dump him from the party. He wants to run again, he can do it as an independent. His supporters want to re elect him, they get an independent. This is too important for the UCP to ignore in terms of setting the tone for the new party. Mark my words, failure to show leadership and set standards will stick this stink on the party as much (if not more) than skimming over the "lake of fire"!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
public service (police/FF/EMT/Teacher etc) or military service should be mandatory before entering politics.

BW
Good idea, but why would you include teachers in that group and not other public service employees like dog catchers, meter maids, trash collectors.

I know some who would be much better politicians than we have now.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

Interesting his room mate that split the apartment in question is MLA for Rimbey Rocky Mountain House Sundre Jason Nixon. Two MLA's split the same apartment and collect the maximum dayrate. Not sure how he ties into the sub-letting picture if at all.

Neither one seems to want to spend taxpayer dollars in a diligent manner. I was quite suprised Nixon now also has double dipped for their meal allowance. He's a big boy I know but come on..LOL.

Always two sides to a trough.

Last edited by farmerbrown; 08-16-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
That is why the UCP should dump him from the party. He wants to run again, he can do it as an independent. His supporters want to re elect him, they get an independent. This is too important for the UCP to ignore in terms of setting the tone for the new party. Mark my words, failure to show leadership and set standards will stick this stink on the party as much (if not more) than skimming over the "lake of fire"!
I agree completely with you

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
Interesting his room mate that split the apartment in question is MLA for Rimbey Rocky Mountain House Sundre Jason Nixon. Two MLA's split the same apartment and collect the maximum dayrate. Not sure how he ties into the sub-letting picture if at all.

Neither one seems to want to spend taxpayer dollars in a diligent manner. I was quite suprised Nixon now also has double dipped for their meal allowance. He's a big boy I know but come on..LOL.

Always two sides to a trough.
Not aware of this. Where is the source. I would like to look at it.
Cant seem to find anything on line.

MAC

Old 08-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Good idea, but why would you include teachers in that group and not other public service employees like dog catchers, meter maids, trash collectors.

Like !!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

MAC

It was in the Calgary Sun today. It was part of the DF article. I was very suprised about Nixon. From the front page to the article.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

I think it is important that the candidate have some training or a job that he/she is good at to fall back on when he/she gets turfed.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:

MAC
Found it
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/08/1...and-run-charge
Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
It was in the Calgary Sun today. It was part of the DF article. I was very suprised about Nixon. From the front page to the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Thank you

Holy moly, more than derek and Nixon..
Also 2 NDP were sharing while claiming the maximum amount.
What a mess

MAC

Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you

Holy moly, more than derek and Nixon..
Also 2 NDP were sharing while claiming the maximum amount.
What a mess

MAC
This is not only ridiculous, it's also just the beginning. How do we as taxpayers put an end to this theft and hold these elected officials accountable. The amounts being claimed are absurd to say the least.

BW
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This is not only ridiculous, it's also just the beginning. How do we as taxpayers put an end to this theft and hold these elected officials accountable. The amounts being claimed are absurd to say the least.
BW
The "parties" need to dump any ethically challenged MLA's. Period! Electorate can deal with them next election.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-16-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post

I hope that it doesn't result in his forced resignation. He should spent a few bucks on a good lawyer and there are some good one out there to be found.

I think Derick Fildebrant could and will turn out being a good MLA now that he knows much better. He is still a young person. He should have this reset button pushed.
As the Director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, he pointed out such incidents in previous governments. It was his job, and he seemed to revel in it.

He DID know better, but he committed the acts anyway. "He's young and inexperienced" doesn't cut it as an excuse in this case.

WRT any MLA's double-dipping, maybe THEY didn't know any better, and the rules need to be clarified so that there is no confusion surrounding these issues. More audits need to be done to keep an eye on these subsidies and per-diems.

This "pig at the trough" thing needs to be curtailed for all MLA's.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
As the Director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, he pointed out such incidents in previous governments. It was his job, and he seemed to revel in it.

He DID know better, but he committed the acts anyway. "He's young and inexperienced" doesn't cut it as an excuse in this case.

WRT any MLA's double-dipping, maybe THEY didn't know any better, and the rules need to be clarified so that there is no confusion surrounding these issues. More audits need to be done to keep an eye on these subsidies and per-diems.

This "pig at the trough" thing needs to be curtailed for all MLA's.
So one should know better, but the others are "rookies" so it was an honest mistake?...really??. They all get an orientation when they are first elected...they ALL know better....but let's give some of them a pass and crucify the next....??...typical
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
public service (police/FF/EMT/Teacher etc) or military service should be mandatory before entering politics.

BW
Why make those jobs harder than they already are by attracting wanna be politicians who are only there to pad their resume?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So one should know better, but the others are "rookies" so it was an honest mistake?...really??. They all get an orientation when they are first elected...they ALL know better....but let's give some of them a pass and crucify the next....??...typical
Did you miss the part where it was Fildebrandt's job to pursue just these type of occurrences when he was with the Canadian Tax Payer Federation? Are you postulating that his mind was wiped clean of knowledge when he joined the WRP?

Hal, DT had specific experience with outing just such behaviour that he's committed. He had specific expertise with the details and implications surrounding these matters of government subsidy and reimbursement. He isn't "just another wet-behind-the-ears" MLA, in this regard.

If the orientation surrounding expenses is unclear to most MLA's that needs to be rectified. DT was not "most MLA's" regarding specifically this, however.

If you want to rationalize it, go right ahead. It doesn't fly, though.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:

BW
Well I guess the unions would never have to worry about cuts to the public service if only public service employees are allowed to run for office. LOL My vote would be "no" on that one.

And not every person that goes into those jobs does so because they want to serve their community or country. many go in because they think it's a good or cool job. My brother didn't go into the forces because he was highly patriotic. He went in because he thought it would be cool to fly military aircraft. Now I'm not saying he's not patriotic; he is. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the overriding consideration. He wouldn't have signed up if he was going to be ground crew, or a cook or a medic.

I'm all for varied experience with public service, military, volunteer experience. But it's up to the voters to value that and decide, not rules saying what you must have. It's why I'm against term limits. If voters want to elect someone over and over for 20 years, they should have that right in a democracy. They will turf him or her when they get tired of or disapprove of them.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-17-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 AM

It sounds like going one step beyond an "orientation" to insure the expenses of every MLA are scrutinized, not just rubber stamped, upon submission is necessary. Declarations should be mandatory for housing allowances to clarify when more than one MLA is claiming for the same residence ...and as long as the combined claim does not exceed the actual cost, be approved. In this regard, we need to hold politicians to a "higher than industry" standard in which the allowance exceeds the expense.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Did you miss the part where it was Fildebrandt's job to pursue just these type of occurrences when he was with the Canadian Tax Payer Federation? Are you postulating that his mind was wiped clean of knowledge when he joined the WRP?

Hal, DT had specific experience with outing just such behaviour that he's committed. He had specific expertise with the details and implications surrounding these matters of government subsidy and reimbursement. He isn't "just another wet-behind-the-ears" MLA, in this regard.

If the orientation surrounding expenses is unclear to most MLA's that needs to be rectified. DT was not "most MLA's" regarding specifically this, however.

If you want to rationalize it, go right ahead. It doesn't fly, though.
Aside from Hal's arrogance, I think you misunderstood what he wrote. My understanding is that Hal is saying no one should get any sort of free pass because they all know better, not just DF. Some MLAs are not the brightest bulbs, but it doesn't take a moral genius nor experience as the head of the CTPA to know when you're double dipping public funds for personal benefit.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 AM

I read yesterday, that DF is going to stay on as MLA but will be an independent. If DF has been cut from the UCP I think that the UCP might have a chance to earn back support of Albertans.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:16 PM

It's hard for me to hate fildebrandt. Although these actions are poor he did a really good job. Watching him roast the ndp is priceless.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
It's hard for me to hate fildebrandt. Although these actions are poor he did a really good job. Watching him roast the ndp is priceless.
His actions are a DIRECT contradiction to the job you say he was doing really well.

'nuff said.

Cheers
Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Derek comes across as a loose cannon. He has a commanding speaking voice but seems to lack wisdom with respect to getting along with his former leader and others in the former Wildrose party IMHO.

As such he might become the UCP poison pill if allowed to take the lead. Maybe if he grows up a bit and gains some wisdom along the way.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:11 PM

You can stick a fork in to confirm....but he's done! His picture can officially be added to Wiki's definition for "hippocrit".
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
And behind the scenes he was ripping of Henry and Martha Alberta!

Do you like getting screwed over? I don't.

BW