Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Awwww. CRAP! Anyone have this outboard for parts?

I had a really terrible thing happen...and I still cannot comprehend how this happened, but it sucks.

I was installing my 1981 Evinrude 9.9 onto the back of my boat as a kicker motor. I have a an older Sylvan bass boat with front and rear decks. So I put the Evi up on the rear deck with the heavy motor end resting fully on the deck towards the bow of the boat...and the prop end resting on the transom of the Sylvan.

I go into the house to get some stuff, come back out and find the Evi on the ground. How it seems to have rotated 180 degrees in mid air and landed with the motor now facing the stern absolutely baffles me. But physics and magic aside, the end result was devastating. The Evi landed on the tiller handle and snapped it right off...both the tiller handle and the steering bracket are buggered because of course, everything is white metal.

I am searching and searching for parts....but of course being a 1981 motor, not so easy.

So I am throwing out a wing and a prayer to see if anyone out in AO land has one of these that may be junk and would sell some parts.

Here are the details:

Model: E10RCID
Year: 1981
9.9 HP

Pics below of the wreckage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170813_154100.jpg (43.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg 20170813_154116.jpg (45.6 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 20170813_154126.jpg (42.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg 20170813_154136.jpg (44.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 20170813_154154.jpg (41.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 20170813_154308.jpg (53.6 KB, 149 views)

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Re-read saw the parts are missing sorry

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 PM

try ebay there's lots of outboard parts
Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Re-read saw the parts are missing sorry
You can fix that????

Wow! I don't know what sorcery you would use to do that...but if I can figure a way to get it up to ya, it's worth a shot.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Looks tricky to install

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JOHNSON-EVINR...tZYRk2&vxp=mtr
Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Hmmmm...that might be it? I gotta take a good look at this thing tomorrow...take apart what needs to be replaced and figure out for sure what I need.

But I also had a suggestion from Redfrog...get somebody who welds aluminum.

I might be looking to Ken after all.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Default boat motor

lots of sites-groups on facebook or try kijiji or craigs list
I had to find a mid 70s 20 hp viking for parts...took a while

good luck
Old 08-13-2017, 08:43 PM

http://franzmarine.com/

Any time I've ever needed any part, this place has it new or used. Cheap and ships fast. Great to deal with.
I once needed a fuel pump diaphragm for an old Chrysler 55.
Emailed him and it was at my door in a week for $16 all in.

Someone on a boating forum I belonged to recommended him.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 PM

if you don't find parts I would like to take a shot at it

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Just google Evinrude Johnson Outboard 9.9 15 HP 1976-1985 Tiller Steering Handle # 322133.

Don't forget Johnson is the same just color is different and 9.9 is same as well on them. I see lots come up and the first one I clicked was on Ebay.

Just bring it over and we can just reverse engineer mine as it is the same model.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
http://franzmarine.com/

Any time I've ever needed any part, this place has it new or used. Cheap and ships fast. Great to deal with.
I once needed a fuel pump diaphragm for an old Chrysler 55.
Emailed him and it was at my door in a week for $16 all in.

Someone on a boating forum I belonged to recommended him.
Thanks! I will definitely check him out.

Quote:
if you don't find parts I would like to take a shot at it
I will see if replacemnts cost an arm and a leg...because I am thinking I need the steering bracket as well as the tiller handle now, and early estimates are looking like approx. $200. I will see what the Franz Marine guy above has to offer. So you will be my 'ace-in-hole' option. I appreciate the offer, buddy! I have no doubt you coukd weld the snot outta this thing! Hahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Just google Evinrude Johnson Outboard 9.9 15 HP 1976-1985 Tiller Steering Handle # 322133.

Don't forget Johnson is the same just color is different and 9.9 is same as well on them. I see lots come up and the first one I clicked was on Ebay.

Just bring it over and we can just reverse engineer mine as it is the same model.
Yup...I have been looking high and low. Will keep you informed. I have a guy I found on kijiji who might have what I need...just gotta confirm.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 PM

have just spent 3 days trying to get the same motor running.,got it going today water test tomorrow.

I used this web site for parts http://shop2.evinrude.com

Good luck
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM

Default Update

Well...some good news. Apparently the steering bracket is okay...no damage at all. I thought it may have been cracked but once I got the bolt for the tiller handle off (and the remaining chunk with it), everything else was fine. Huge relief because that was the more expensive part and even more of a PITA to remove as the whole powerhead has to come off first.

So here is what broke: the neck of the tiller handle where it bolts into the steering bracket. I will check all the places you guys have referred (thanks) and get a replacement....but I think I will send the two pieces up to Ken and see what magic he can do with welding this aluminum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170815_171410.jpg (58.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20170815_171433.jpg (46.2 KB, 41 views)

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM

I am worried it is pot, but I am sure willing to try and tig it for you

Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Well...some good news. Apparently the steering bracket is okay...no damage at all. I thought it may have been cracked but once I got the bolt for the tiller handle off (and the remaining chunk with it), everything else was fine. Huge relief because that was the more expensive part and even more of a PITA to remove as the whole powerhead has to come off first.

So here is what broke: the neck of the tiller handle where it bolts into the steering bracket. I will check all the places you guys have referred (thanks) and get a replacement....but I think I will send the two pieces up to Ken and see what magic he can do with welding this aluminum.
Hey my friend,

I have owned 2 motors between the years 60 and 80 and was amazed that I found the parts on Ebay....However, I have never been set on buying anything on Ebay, I took the chance and everything worked out. I guess I am talking about $60-80 bucks ...It is amazing what rare parts you can find on Ebay
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you can stick it either, ken.
I will ask a top shelf outboard mechanic/welder and let you know what hhe recomends!
Cat
Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Highly doubt that porous crap is aluminum. It's cast pot metal. I would love to see someone try to weld that.if it's a nice clean break you could drill some holes and make a sleeve or brace out of real steel and bolt er back together . Won't be pretty but that's what I would do. If you gonna spend over 2 hundo and get the run around that is kiijiji for another 2 hundo you could replace the whole thing. Just my two cents. The parts are out there but I would say 75 bux would be my limit.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 AM

This might sound wacky but it's incredibly strong. Vee it out and fill the vee with super glue. Before the super glue dries pour baking soda on it.
Not sure how it works but there is a reaction that hardens the super glue rock hard instantly.
My old boss at the fibreglass shop I worked at showed me that trick to fix pot metal parts. Never had one come back.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
This might sound wacky but it's incredibly strong. Vee it out and fill the vee with super glue. Before the super glue dries pour baking soda on it.
Not sure how it works but there is a reaction that hardens the super glue rock hard instantly.
My old boss at the fibreglass shop I worked at showed me that trick to fix pot metal parts. Never had one come back.
I have had good luck with J B Weld also
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM

Weld it up, outboards have good grade aluminum in them..
Would gladly do it for you if you are up north.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Dean, I was going to say Krazy Glue, but someone beat me to "the just" of it. Best wishes on a good and relatively inexpensive fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah...I hear ya, Ken. I am just not knowledgeable enough to say one way or another. I will see if I can get an informed opinion and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I will ask a top shelf outboard mechanic/welder and let you know what hhe recomends!
Cat
Hahaha...well played!

Quote:
Well...isn't that interesting?! I could just buy a replacement...and try your method as an experiment to see if that works.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
From what I was told, nope not weldable,
Expoy!
Cat
Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 PM

The same thing happened to me except the handle survived and the cast piece that it swivels into broke. Perfectly running parts motor with good tiller handle. Make me an offer. It's a Johnson. I'm north of Edmonton 1/2 hr
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM

i have a source for those parts call me 403-836-2628