Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
This thread got me curious. I perused the Manitoba Fisheries Regulations on the Canada Justice website (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...509/index.html). I found no reference to tiger trout...anywhere. Could it be that they are not covered in regulation in MB either, but that province has overlooked that 'technicality'?

Someone else should have a look too. I might have missed something. Maybe we should look in the Sask regs too...
In their reg's book they are covered under trout hybrids I believe. This does not appear to be tied to their federal regulations though.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
In there reg's book they are covered under trout hybrids I believe.
They are just in the list as stocked trout and included in that limit for all stocked trout lakes.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Don't see them specifically listed either although they list the tiger trout lakes as catch and release for all trout. Both brookies and browns are recognized so a hybrid seems obvious to me, not something I would like to prove otherwise in a court of law. Manitoba obviously thought about this and figured they were covered while some genius here in AB didn't...

If you really want something to think about then you should think about Cutbows and Saugeye here in AB. Oops did I just say that out loud lol...
Cutbows and Saugeyes are naturally produced. Tigers were introduced .

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

Naturally occurring TGTR in Alberta as well. They've been identified on the landscape prior to being made in hatcheries.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Naturally occurring TGTR in Alberta as well. They've been identified on the landscape prior to being made in hatcheries.
Yes there are naturally occurring Tigers in areas where Browns have been introduced into native brook trout streams however neither was ever naturally occurring in AB and in fact Browns are not native to North America period. They are a fish that was native to parts of Europe and Asia that was introduced here. Brook trout are an eastern fish and were introduced in the west much the same way Rainbows are native to the west and were introduced in the east. We would not have near the diversity of fishing in each province without the introduction of non-native species and many were introduced in waters that were void of sportfish so I personally don't see what all the fuss is about expanding our fishing opportunities by introducing hybrids that won't affect true native species in their native habitat?

The native range of brown trout extends from northern Norway and White Sea tributaries in Russia in the Arctic Ocean to the Atlas Mountains in North Africa. The western limit of their native range is Iceland in the north Atlantic, while the eastern limit is in Aral Sea tributaries in Afghanistan and Pakistan.[6]
Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I personally don't see what all the fuss is about expanding our fishing opportunities by introducing hybrids that won't affect true native species in their native habitat?
Part of the issue is Stocking has proven to be a very efficient spreader of disease. Whether that be big game, small game, or fish.

One only needs to take a look at Liver flukes, lung worm and Chronic Wasting disease in large game. Or Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus and whirling disease in fish. Socking needs to be very carefully controlled and monitored and in MOST if not all cases one is much better off to properly manage the naturally occurring stocks in the area. Other wise you may get some very unwanted consequences. I mean I can't even fathom how the CWD debacle is going to finally play out just to give a few other people some other opportunities to make a bit more money.

So While stocking can have some pretty good intentions one must be very careful and vigilant.

Last edited by cube; 08-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Wild stream caught tiger trout. At first I thought it was brookie/bull hydrid
Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post

Wild stream caught tiger trout. At first I thought it was brookie/bull hydrid
Thats a pretty looking fish.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Stocking needs to be very carefully controlled and monitored and in MOST if not all cases one is much better off to properly manage the naturally occurring stocks in the area. Other wise you may get some very unwanted consequences.

So While stocking can have some pretty good intentions one must be very careful and vigilant.
Except properly managing doesn't exist. I can't fathom how Alberta would look today without 30 years of put and take trout fisheries.