Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 PM

Default Gull lake newbie

Alright so i know about wire worms, wetaskawin spoons, structure to look for, Ect.
But ever time i go to Gull (Only have been a few times mind you) I have been skunked, haven't even seen anything..I wouldn't mind taking the girlfriend out tomorrow for a shot at redemption
I usually fish at Brownlows anywhere from 5-10ft and as said have had no luck for anything. Even purchased a camera to increase my odds of seeing a few more fish, But does anyone have any tips or techniques they use at Gull? Don't care if its for Pike, Perch, Whitefish or Burbot, just wouldn't mind catching something....Or should i just go to Wizard instead since i usually luck out on a few slew sharks there?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM

I never see anything at brownlows I don't see the hype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Were do you go on Brownlows? Fish 14 fow or deeper lots of eyes pike and perch use jig head and twister tail tipped with a minnow. For your bigger predators. Perch, smallest 5 of d always work good with maggots. Mitch
Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 PM

I know a few people will disagree with me but my personal experience is that you have to go find the fish , not wait for the fish to come to you. Gull is mostly featureless except for a few steep drop offs, rock points, & random large weed beds; which you won't be familiar with anyway if you don't know the lake. Concentrate on the 7-15 ft depth range if you're mainly after perch, burbot, & pike. Look in 4-8 ft early in the morning for whitefish.

My best days have been when I've moved lots & covered lots of water. I've drilled 20 holes over 3 different locations seeing nothing, only to hit the mother load on hole number 21! An interesting thing I've noticed is that the perch, particularly in shallower water, might only be hanging around in schools of 8-15 fish so you will catch a few decent ones then all that's left is little guys so you have to move on to find the next little school to score again. I'm not a Gull expert but just my 2 cents!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have to try again once I'm back from work in a week. Full moon on the 12th that always seems to help the bite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
I know a few people will disagree with me but my personal experience is that you have to go find the fish , not wait for the fish to come to you. Gull is mostly featureless except for a few steep drop offs, rock points, & random large weed beds; which you won't be familiar with anyway if you don't know the lake. Concentrate on the 7-15 ft depth range if you're mainly after perch, burbot, & pike. Look in 4-8 ft early in the morning for whitefish.

My best days have been when I've moved lots & covered lots of water. I've drilled 20 holes over 3 different locations seeing nothing, only to hit the mother load on hole number 21! An interesting thing I've noticed is that the perch, particularly in shallower water, might only be hanging around in schools of 8-15 fish so you will catch a few decent ones then all that's left is little guys so you have to move on to find the next little school to score again. I'm not a Gull expert but just my 2 cents!
That is a pretty good summary Pikester. That is my experience as well. Only difference is sometimes I run into schools of perch and they are all the same size...usually on the small side, then later in the afternoon I usually see a couple of bruisers come in and hope they take it. So few and far between for me. I usually fish the depths you do as well.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post

^^ this is great advice for locating whitefish , you must stay mobile , and use a one man tent so you can watch your presentation ! Good luck on the water friend !

Tags
gull lake, newbie, perch, pike, wizard lake