Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM

8mm Rem Mag.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Hoping to get drawn this year. I'll be taking along the 7mm Rem mag.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Put any good bullet 6mm or larger in the right place and your elk will not go far.

The cartridge and rifle which propell the bullet are immaterial.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Those Elk are tough critter's ... and sneaky too ... a stealth bomber is the only way to take one down .
Old 02-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic338 View Post
Having taken over a dozen bulls and having seen more than twice that many additional kills, I will say that you can kill them with nearly anything, as referenced in the What can't a .22 do thread, you can kill almost anything with a .22 even an elephant as evidenced by Capstick if you can believe it.
As far as elk are concerned though, I find that they have a will to live like no other ungulate available to us to hunt, and while we would always like to have perfect shot placement, and should be trying to make sure of it, things don't always go perfect. This is why I advocate shooting the rifle that provides the most ft. lbs. of energy at the distance you are comfortable shooting that you can still handle the recoil of. we have taken 2 bulls that had bullets lodged in them, one a .277 and one a .350 that should have taken the elk as they were shoulder shots, but the .350 hit right on the ridge of the scapula and did not make it through, and the .277 hit the humerus and failed to penetrate. While I do not know the circumstances of these shots, as far as distance etc. I still feel that a little more power should have equaled dead elk.
My recommendation for elk would start with a 300WM and go up from there but I have shot them with 30-06 as well. Dead is dead, but I think I owe it to the animal that I pursue to do my best to make sure that the death happens as fast as possible even when the shot doesn't quite go where you want because of a twig or the animal turns at the last second or whatever.
My go to for elk currently is my .338 RUM, which might be overkill, but like was said before me, overkill is underrated.
I'm going to save some time typing and say this is how my experiences hunting elk are summed up. Great post!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I'll answer it correctly for you. My favorite is a 30 caliber. Per chance are you looking for a favorite cartridge? If so,you never asked that

Funny, almost 30 posts and you were the only fellow that didn't understand the OP's intent.... or did it make you feel good to point out your superior intelligence.

To the OP,

7mm rem mag with a 150 TSX. Just picked up a 9.3 x 62 and would like to give that a try some day. Planning to load up some 250 TSX.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far, I find it really interesting to see just how much variety there is and different opinions on the subject.

Seems to me pretty consistent that we need good bullets and well placed shots, haven't seen many other animals with the toughness of an elk.

Another question for those of you with more experience buying and selling, is the used market worth it? Or just suck it up and pay for new? I see most are listed close to new price anyway, or is there any advantage to trying to find one say from the buy and sell part of the forum?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far, I find it really interesting to see just how much variety there is and different opinions on the subject.

Seems to me pretty consistent that we need good bullets and well placed shots, haven't seen many other animals with the toughness of an elk.

Another question for those of you with more experience buying and selling, is the used market worth it? Or just suck it up and pay for new? I see most are listed close to new price anyway, or is there any advantage to trying to find one say from the buy and sell part of the forum?
I've only bought new if there's a sale. P&D and Milarm have sales a few times throughout the year. Cabela's and Wholesale Sports as well but I try to spend my money at private biz.
I also buy and sell often of here and CGN. Face to face is preffered for me. Check Trader ratings etc. I travel quite often from Edm to Cgy so usually can contain deals within that area.
Take care
Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM

There are some excellent rifle values on the used market. Many of them in near new condition. The key is to determine what you want in a rifle/cartridge combination and do the research on the ones in the used market you find interesting.
Some of the finest quality rifles ever manufactured were built in the earlier years (post WWII) of the last century and can be purchased for less than half the retail price of a rifle of similar quality being manufactured today.

Exercise due diligence in the used market and I'm sure you will find a real gem.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

Depend's ... can't buy a new savage 99 or a model 88 ... but their are oodles of ugly bolt action's in a multitude of caliber's that will down an elk .
Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 AM

For those in the know, how hard is it to find off the shelf good ammo for the 6.5 size cartridges? I don't reload yet, although I would like to get into it I am curious if there is any good factory options.

And not to open a can of worms, but in the 6.5 size and up, who is making some of the best guns for your money in the current new market? And is there any classics that I should keep my eye out for used?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Banned

I bought a 400 ought six and reloaded a bunch of tannerite shot gun shell's with a load of buck shot ... had no trouble smoken a turkey at 40 pace's .. but sure chocked that I didn't just buy a 308
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM

From my experience its more bullet type and placement, I feel like some people forget that about hunting. Ive made shots where they get hit and dont even move, when i was down in suffield guys were removing 1,2,3 bullets from elk that weren't there's. So bigger isnt always better.

With the right bullet i think my .303 can do it no problem, and my .243 as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500+BC View Post
From my experience its more bullet type and placement, I feel like some people forget that about hunting. Ive made shots where they get hit and dont even move, when i was down in suffield guys were removing 1,2,3 bullets from elk that weren't there's. So bigger isnt always better.

With the right bullet i think my .303 can do it no problem, and my .243 as well.
<---<--<--this is the Brutal truth)

one year (it was 2007 the year my mother passed away )I had a cow elk draw tag in zone 348
my nephew and I were out and saw a heard of cow elk
we went and got permission, and when we came back another hunter was loading up his cow elk
they had run up onto a bluff of jack pines in the middle of the field
so my nephew and I walked up there for a looky see
we no sooner got to the bush when we came across a dyeing cow elk
so I finished her off tagged her and my nephew walked around a bit found another one dyeing so he finished her off and tagged her as well
both cows had a 7mm caliber bullet in them
when we dressed them out
this was a bad case of heard shooting and not placing the bullets properly
if my nephew and I hadn't of gone up there looking those two cows would have perished needlessly and no one would have been the wiser about it
the other hunter had not placed his shots, was just shooting ,
it was an easy hunt for my nephew and I ,
stuff like that really turns me off of other hunters
we both were shooting 308's at the time ,
so the bullets in the animals were quite easily calibrated at 7mm calibers
shoot where their
going not where they been,

Last edited by Diesel_wiesel; 02-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
For those in the know, how hard is it to find off the shelf good ammo for the 6.5 size cartridges? I don't reload yet, although I would like to get into it I am curious if there is any good factory options.

And not to open a can of worms, but in the 6.5 size and up, who is making some of the best guns for your money in the current new market? And is there any classics that I should keep my eye out for used?

Thanks
I am not sure about the quantity of available off the shelve ammo for 6.5 cartridges, as I don't have one. So I am not "in the know". But what I know is ammo for the 270, 308, 30-06 and 7mm rem mag is more available most likely with more options.

Its not only about having ammo readily available, its more about have a lot of ammo available to see what you gun likes best.

Try this link may help you decide http://www.chuckhawks.com/all_around_cartridges.htm. The 4 recommended cartridges may be "boring" or "plain jane" but they work.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
<---<--<--this is the Brutal truth)

one year (it was 2007 the year my mother passed away )I had a cow elk draw tag in zone 348
my nephew and I were out and saw a heard of cow elk
we went and got permission, and when we came back another hunter was loading up his cow elk
they had run up onto a bluff of jack pines in the middle of the field
so my nephew and I walked up there for a looky see
we no sooner got to the bush when we came across a dyeing cow elk
so I finished her off tagged her and my nephew walked around a bit found another one dyeing so he finished her off and tagged her as well
both cows had a 7mm caliber bullet in them
when we dressed them out
this was a bad case of heard shooting and not placing the bullets properly
if my nephew and I hadn't of gone up there looking those two cows would have perished needlessly and no one would have been the wiser about it
the other hunter had not placed his shots, was just shooting ,
it was an easy hunt for my nephew and I ,
but stuff like that really turns me off of other hunters
we both were shooting 308's at the time ,
so the bullets in the animals were quite easily calibrated at 7mm calibers
These kind of stories make me sick. Really makes me loose a little more faith in humanity every time. Good on you guys for doing the right thing.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I am not sure about the quantity of available off the shelve ammo for 6.5 cartridges, as I don't have one. So I am not "in the know". But what I know is ammo for the 270, 308, 30-06 and 7mm rem mag is more available most likely with more options.

Its not only about having ammo readily available, its more about have a lot of ammo available to see what you gun likes best.

Try this link may help you decide http://www.chuckhawks.com/all_around_cartridges.htm. The 4 recommended cartridges may be "boring" or "plain jane" but they work.
Thanks for that, good read and I tend to think the same in then end. KISS.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Funny, almost 30 posts and you were the only fellow that didn't understand the OP's intent.... or did it make you feel good to point out your superior intelligence.

To the OP,

7mm rem mag with a 150 TSX. Just picked up a 9.3 x 62 and would like to give that a try some day. Planning to load up some 250 TSX.
Maybe read them all and you would see we already discussed it. Brendan's dad, your always quik to jump on me for anything, spend more time being Brendan's dad and teach him the difference between a caliber and a cartridge and you gave a cartridge answer to a caliber question so yes i do have a superior intelligence to you, thanks for telling everyone.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Is there a commonly accepted foot lbs of energy that is required for elk? Might make some of my decisions easier...lol
Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is there a commonly accepted foot lbs of energy that is required for elk? Might make some of my decisions easier...lol
You have seen several very acceptable recommendations from lots of good hunters. Im not a fan of anything under a 7mm mag but I personally would not use a 7mm-08. Same thing goes with a 30 cal. I would use a 308,30-06, 300wm etc but not a 30-30 or a 300 savage. Everyone has there preferences, some people use a 243, 6mm, 6.5, 25-06 (which I have and love but not for elk). My personal minimum would be a 260 and i think thats a low side stretch for me. So its not about caliber, more cartridge. Example being the most extreme 7mm-08 to a 7mm mag or a 30-30 to a 300wm. I dont recall you mentioning what cartridges you currently use which would help. Ft lbs of energy are relevant to the distance so thats a tough one too because each type of bullet reacts differently at different speeds and distances at different ft lbs. if you hunt elk at suffield then longer shots are often required, more so then if you hunt in the bush where a hundred yard shot may be your max. The 7mm mag or 300wm in suffield would be fantastic with a good scope. Now in the bush at a hundred yards a iron sight 45-70 will hit em hard and fast. There's no one answer to your question without a ton of more information on how you want to hunt, a good all around set up in a 30 cal. To me it makes no sence to use a 308 when you can use a 30-06, just stand them up beside each other and you will see. A 30-06 with a straight power 6 scope will do anything you need out past 300 yards. Great selection on bullets as well. If you hunt where your more apt to send one out there a ways then the 300 wm or the 7mm mag may be your choice with the 300 giving you heavier bullet options than the 7mm mag. If you have a cartridge already then let us know so we can maybe offer a nice match to what you already have. If this is your first then what do you want next cuz it makes no sence to buy a multipurpose 30-06 if you then want a 300wm, too much overlap. A good selection for all you can hunt would be, for me,22lr, a 22-250, 25-06, a 7mm mag, 300 wm a 45-70 and a 30-30 just cuz we all need a lever 30-30. That group will handle everything in every situation anywhere.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Ft lbs is a bit of an argument starter.

How many Ft lbs of energy does an arrow impart, upon a target?
If a bullet exits the chest cavity, did it impart the full amount of kinetic energy it possessed when it hit its target.

I've seen elk killed with 100 grain cup core bullets out of an 18-1/2" bbl'd .243Win.

I've witnessed elk soaking up 180 grain Partition bullets from a .300 Win Mag, it took a saintly gent with an old fashioned .270Win with 130 grain cup cores to finally anchor that bull.(shots in legs and guts no matter how skookum the load don't down game)

The hunters ability to become proficient with their rifle of choice, has to be weighed and balanced. Rifles like a 300 Win Mag often induce flinches and bad habits in many hunters. Get larger and more powerful chamberings, and it becomes harder and harder to perfect your shooting form.

There isn't an elk that walks this earth that is bullet proof. A well placed .27 or .28 caliber bullet of stout enough design of at least 140 grains, starting out of the muzzle at at least 2800 fps will kill elk out to most ranges any average hunter will ever reasonably hunt.

You crunch those numbers because well, they are just that numbers.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Generally, 1500 fpe is recommended for elk. But, it is only 1 factor. Anywhere from a 270 to 300 wm is reasonable. The big four posted above are great if you are looking for an all around hunting rifle that is adequate for elk. If you are looking for an elk specific caliber (sorry cartridge) a 300 wm or 338 wm is pretty ideal - but they are harder to shoot accurately due to recoil. I would suggest a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag as that is the upper limit of what most people can shoot accurately.

I have a 7 mm Rem mag myself and hope to get a 35 Whelen some day for no good reason at all. I also have a 243 for coyote and deer that i supposedly bought for my daughter . I'm breaking it in for her.

Rifle fit is very important, try to shoot your friends rifles before you buy. A 300 wm that fits you in a reasonable weight rifle can easily have less perceived recoil than a 30-06 in a lightweight that doesn't.

There are many good used deals listed on here. If the price is too close to new, go with the new. I'm partial to Tikkas myself and Sakos, but Tikkas are available for what I'm willing to spend. I would suggest finding a rifle you like, watch for a used one in any reasonable caliber and shoot it lots to make sure you are accurate enough with it and that it's recoil is tolerable. When you are at the range, shoot anyone's rifle who offers. You'll find what you like, have fun along the way and figure out what you like, and it's cheaper than buying new. If you know what you want and plan to keep it for a long time (forever) then buy new.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM

Trying to understand x- bolts logic of using a 260 but not a 7mm 08.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Trying to understand x- bolts logic of using a 260 but not a 7mm 08.
Stop trying while you're still ahead.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
You have seen several very acceptable recommendations from lots of good hunters. Im not a fan of anything under a 7mm mag but I personally would not use a 7mm-08. Same thing goes with a 30 cal. I would use a 308,30-06, 300wm etc but not a 30-30 or a 300 savage. Everyone has there preferences, some people use a 243, 6mm, 6.5, 25-06 (which I have and love but not for elk). My personal minimum would be a 260 and i think thats a low side stretch for me. So its not about caliber, more cartridge. Example being the most extreme 7mm-08 to a 7mm mag or a 30-30 to a 300wm. I dont recall you mentioning what cartridges you currently use which would help. Ft lbs of energy are relevant to the distance so thats a tough one too because each type of bullet reacts differently at different speeds and distances at different ft lbs. if you hunt elk at suffield then longer shots are often required, more so then if you hunt in the bush where a hundred yard shot may be your max. The 7mm mag or 300wm in suffield would be fantastic with a good scope. Now in the bush at a hundred yards a iron sight 45-70 will hit em hard and fast. There's no one answer to your question without a ton of more information on how you want to hunt, a good all around set up in a 30 cal. To me it makes no sence to use a 308 when you can use a 30-06, just stand them up beside each other and you will see. A 30-06 with a straight power 6 scope will do anything you need out past 300 yards. Great selection on bullets as well. If you hunt where your more apt to send one out there a ways then the 300 wm or the 7mm mag may be your choice with the 300 giving you heavier bullet options than the 7mm mag. If you have a cartridge already then let us know so we can maybe offer a nice match to what you already have. If this is your first then what do you want next cuz it makes no sence to buy a multipurpose 30-06 if you then want a 300wm, too much overlap. A good selection for all you can hunt would be, for me,22lr, a 22-250, 25-06, a 7mm mag, 300 wm a 45-70 and a 30-30 just cuz we all need a lever 30-30. That group will handle everything in every situation anywhere.
I currently have a 270. I'm confident in its ability to do the job but I also am thinking long term for a large bear hunt which has been on the bucket list for a while. Basically I can research and read until my head spins but I would like to settle on something different than the 270 that can handle elk with ease. If it will work for a future big bear hunt then good, if not I would upgrade to a real boomer, possibly 375 or in that area. Then again, my buddy has a marlin lever 45-70 that shoots like a dream so that could be another option, just thinking it will be a little lacking for any longer shots.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ft lbs is a bit of an argument starter.

How many Ft lbs of energy does an arrow impart, upon a target?
If a bullet exits the chest cavity, did it impart the full amount of kinetic energy it possessed when it hit its target.

I've seen elk killed with 100 grain cup core bullets out of an 18-1/2" bbl'd .243Win.

I've witnessed elk soaking up 180 grain Partition bullets from a .300 Win Mag, it took a saintly gent with an old fashioned .270Win with 130 grain cup cores to finally anchor that bull.(shots in legs and guts no matter how skookum the load don't down game)

The hunters ability to become proficient with their rifle of choice, has to be weighed and balanced. Rifles like a 300 Win Mag often induce flinches and bad habits in many hunters. Get larger and more powerful chamberings, and it becomes harder and harder to perfect your shooting form.

There isn't an elk that walks this earth that is bullet proof. A well placed .27 or .28 caliber bullet of stout enough design of at least 140 grains, starting out of the muzzle at at least 2800 fps will kill elk out to most ranges any average hunter will ever reasonably hunt.

You crunch those numbers because well, they are just that numbers.
Its definitely not my intention to start any arguments, I'm an open to all sides kind of guy. I agree whole heartedly that shot placement trumps all. At the same time I do not want to be under gunned. I feel like my 270 is at that fine line. Maybe I'm wrong, but it shoots nice and tight and I'm confident in it and myself. A larger caliber is something I want anyway so I thought this would be the time to gather some info and get the right one for the job.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Generally, 1500 fpe is recommended for elk. But, it is only 1 factor. Anywhere from a 270 to 300 wm is reasonable. The big four posted above are great if you are looking for an all around hunting rifle that is adequate for elk. If you are looking for an elk specific caliber (sorry cartridge) a 300 wm or 338 wm is pretty ideal - but they are harder to shoot accurately due to recoil. I would suggest a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag as that is the upper limit of what most people can shoot accurately.

I have a 7 mm Rem mag myself and hope to get a 35 Whelen some day for no good reason at all. I also have a 243 for coyote and deer that i supposedly bought for my daughter . I'm breaking it in for her.

Rifle fit is very important, try to shoot your friends rifles before you buy. A 300 wm that fits you in a reasonable weight rifle can easily have less perceived recoil than a 30-06 in a lightweight that doesn't.

There are many good used deals listed on here. If the price is too close to new, go with the new. I'm partial to Tikkas myself and Sakos, but Tikkas are available for what I'm willing to spend. I would suggest finding a rifle you like, watch for a used one in any reasonable caliber and shoot it lots to make sure you are accurate enough with it and that it's recoil is tolerable. When you are at the range, shoot anyone's rifle who offers. You'll find what you like, have fun along the way and figure out what you like, and it's cheaper than buying new. If you know what you want and plan to keep it for a long time (forever) then buy new.

Enjoy yourself!
A tikka/sako is for sure on my watch list, but the ones I have held (not shot) didn't feel really nice to me. I know they have a real reputation for being amazing shooters but the fit has to be there. Beggars can't be choosers though when it comes to used I guess.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 PM

Xbolt drank kool-aid and it all came out on the keyboard. That is the only explanation for that.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Give me a good Elk tag and I'll pack whatever I have handy.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Its definitely not my intention to start any arguments, I'm an open to all sides kind of guy. I agree whole heartedly that shot placement trumps all. At the same time I do not want to be under gunned. I feel like my 270 is at that fine line. Maybe I'm wrong, but it shoots nice and tight and I'm confident in it and myself. A larger caliber is something I want anyway so I thought this would be the time to gather some info and get the right one for the job.
I didn't mean to insinuate you were looking to start an argument, I was eluding to how I've seen similar topics get all heated in the past.

If you are trying to justify a bigger or different rifle, don't try too much justifying it, or rationalizing it too hard.

Go find a rifle model you like, then see what's available.
FWIW I saw a 35 Whelan Rem 700 on the buy sell, look hard at that one, it'll wholop the stuffing outta just about everything you'll meet in the Alberta woods.
And it won't compromise your dental work or rotator cuff in the process.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=315256

There are no absolutes