Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 08:27 AM

I asked around on a few RV forums about cleaning heating ducts they recommend removing the furnace to access the duct work. Work from both ends of the ducts with a garden hose connected to a shop vac.

Depending how your trailer ducts are setup you could pour 10% bleach from the inside catch in a pail with the furnace removed? Only the deer mouse carry's the virus catch a few to determine the species.

The construction of these units are truly despicable, in the trailer I had mice the penetrations for the water and electrical had a 2" hole for a 3/4" hose leaving a hole you could throw a cat through. On my latest the 12 volt battery connection is reversed my black wire is positive???

A good article for furnace cleaning

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2002/02/rv-h...intenance.html

Last edited by bat119; 09-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks Bat119. I’m just gonna worry about catching and stopping them from getting in for now. Then I’m gonna have to do some clean up in the spring and I think removing the furnace is on my list like you said with it removed all the ducting can be accessed. Will run the hose in from that end as well as from the floor register ends. If I don’t do something to clean them out I will be camping by myself the wife won’t wanna stay in there and she sure to hell won’t let the kids. Wait a minute do you know how peaceful it would be with out having the wife and kids camping and how much less stuff I would have to pack. On second thoughts maybe I won’t clean it out. Lol. Just kidding.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:42 PM

moth balls, bounce sheets, Irish spring. they all do jack. the best thing you can do is spray foam all the holes. use the pest control green stuff. also if you have a covered underbelly you'll have to pull that down and check. the reason I say that is the duct work goes into the belly to help heat the floor. 2-3 inch duct tubing that runs right up into the furnace. its basically a super highway for mice. also if you have slides you'll ever keep mice out that want to get in. if that is the case. get a cat and hope for the best.