Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 07:30 AM

I love my KO2s, i have about 100K on this set right now. 10K of that is hauling my holiday trailer
Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 AM

i am on set#3 / 35s duratracs rotate every 5000km 50 50 gravel and pavement truck is a 2012 dodge 3500 C/C long box diesel pull with it a lot sliptank tool box get from 110000 to 125000 per set have been a great all around tire for me
Old 02-17-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
We sold a lot of M55 to the oil patch guys. They seem to hold up on gravel. But they are a pricey tire. I got lucky and found some AT3's for my truck this winter.
M55 were a great tire ran them on my service truck for years till i could not find them anymore
Old 02-17-2022, 07:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
KO2's have been my go to ... they do it all, better than the rest .. different ply ops and significantly better sidewalls ... I may be mistaken, but I think the Michelin Group owns them now ... since they took over the KO2's are a true snow and ice tire as well ... I wish they had the option of the studding that Nokian Hakkapeliitta's do on them
Michelin has owned and built BF Goodrich for over 30 years. I think it was 1990 when that deal went down and has nothing to do with the 3PMS symbol. That doesn't mean I think the KO2 is a poor product by any stretch as it is always one of the top performers along with the Duratrac, but I do like to make sure people have the proper info.

For a bit of interest, the 3PMS symbol is an industry implemented symbol (The Rubber Manufacturers Association) that many governments adopt as standard. It basically only means the tire with the symbol has demonstrated a 10 percent improvement in winter traction capabilities over a standard all season tire. That is it and it is really not much. That is why one should not take that symbol as the end all-be all when it comes to meaning it is great for winter driving.

Now some tires are much better than a 10 percent improvement while others are barely qualifying, but how do you know which one is which and what basis is that 10% being qualified? To be totally honest, I do not have a lot of faith in the system being truly forthright and trustworthy. I always reserve judgement of ability on any tires claiming 3PMS abilities until after seeing results speaking with my clients who use them in the environment where I live and work. I am always cautious until somewhat proven to me.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-17-2022, 07:54 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
We sold a lot of M55 to the oil patch guys. They seem to hold up on gravel. But they are a pricey tire. I got lucky and found some AT3's for my truck this winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
M55 were a great tire ran them on my service truck for years till i could not find them anymore
That M55 is one of the most solid, tough and durable industry tires out there for sure! Before I owned my own company and I managed another company, we used to have a contract with Finning and every service truck that would come in brand new and was being prepped to send out around the world to the most insanely remote and severe condition oriented mine sites etc would get the new tires pulled off and M55's put on because nothing else would stand up to the abuse of shale and rock etc like those. Just an absolute beast of a workhorse.

That said, as a daily use tire for guys that highway drive in all winter conditions etc, it is a tire I have rarely seen appreciated! haha! That is one of those products I use as an example of tires that for 95% of the people, they will think they are garbage, but for the 5% that require a tire that does the above jobs described, nothing else will do and they come back over and over again only wanting those!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-17-2022, 07:57 AM

I've run Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 10 ply on my last 2 trucks and no complaints here. Put about 130,000 on the first set and I have about 100,000 on this set and there's still good tread life left. I'll get another 40k out of this set. Worth a look for sure.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
That M55 is one of the most solid, tough and durable industry tires out there for sure! Before I owned my own company and I managed another company, we used to have a contract with Finning and every service truck that would come in brand new and was being prepped to send out around the world to the most insanely remote and severe condition oriented mine sites etc would get the new tires pulled off and M55's put on because nothing else would stand up to the abuse of shale and rock etc like those. Just an absolute beast of a workhorse.

That said, as a daily use tire for guys that highway drive in all winter conditions etc, it is a tire I have rarely seen appreciated! haha! That is one of those products I use as an example of tires that for 95% of the people, they will think they are garbage, but for the 5% that require a tire that does the above jobs described, nothing else will do and they come back over and over again only wanting those!
My first service truck i bought was from finning Calgary it had M55 on it and that is what got me hooked
Old 02-17-2022, 08:11 AM

Tire pressure makes a huge difference in performance and may be a determining factor in the different reviews.

My last truck was a long box heavy 3/4 ton. It was very predictable in all road conditions until I picked up a new set of tires. They always over inflated like I was hauling a load and the truck was a nightmare. I ran it at 35 PSI winter and 40 in the summer.

The new trucks are ridiculous.

This from the net;

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD models from 2005 to 2021 have recommended tire pressure of 45 psi to 80 psi based on model year

If you load up a tire to even 45 PSI in the dead of winter it is going to suck on ice.

Flash forward to the truck I have now. In order to get the features I wanted, I needed to buy a certain model with a tow package 1/2 ton. It absolutely sucked in most every condition. Rough ride on the highway, jump right sideways on the slightest bit of washboard, get stuck on wet grass and outright dangerous in winter. I checked the PSI rating for the non tow package models and it was 15 lbs lower. Lower ply tire and lowered the PSI to just over 30 PSI in the winter and 35 in the summer and it is a very nice truck to drive in any conditions.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hit up this site, navigate to your desired tires and see the overall ratings accordingly.

Myself personally like anything else if you look after your tires they will look after you but many just get them installed and occasionally kick them to see what the pressure is and that’s about it.....

We ran duratracs in the patch and had no issues the minute the fleet switched over sooooo I said what the heck am I doing farting around and run them in my personal truck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-17-2022, 08:41 AM

My brother has Toyo AT3 on his dodge diesel truck, I have Duratracs on my dodge diesel truck.
I am able to claw out of mud road wheel ruts with the Duratrac side lugs easier than he can. I do like his tires though.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
What is something else? (out of curiousity)
Huh?
Old 02-17-2022, 08:46 AM

The General AT3's are awesome tires, I will be buying another set that's for sure.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Huh?
You said work let you go with something else but never specified what tire.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:02 AM

I've had a couple sets of cooper at3 4s. I like them. I have no comparison to the Good Years though.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:42 AM

I've always run K02s and been happy with them. Changed out the Michelin's that came on my one ton Ford after 55k. Hated those tires. Couldn't find K02s so went with the Grabbers. Very impressed so far.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:51 AM

Have had both Duratracs as well as KO2s. For my purposes, I'm liking the Duratracs better, definitely improved traction in winter conditions.

The main gripes I've had with the KO2s is that they tend to wear faster, and are on the pricier side of the scale. Other than that, I think that they are okay.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:47 PM

When I was in mining the only tire that would last was a Toyo M55. Cooper discovery and firestone destinations were absolute junk.

When I put new tires on my pickup it will be M55’s
Old 02-17-2022, 05:22 PM

I ran Toyo M55's exclusively way back when on my old 7.3 Powerstroke, crew cab, long box 4x4. Great tire for all seasons.

Been running Duratracs on my 04 F250 and have no complaints, don't drive it a lot so am about 50% wear now. They sure work good carrying 2 sleds or quads on the deck or empty in most conditions. My complaint is they are noisy but expected that as they do have a more aggressive tire tread than the Toyo did.

That being said, happy with the Duratracs, may try a less aggressive tire when they need changing out.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
You said work let you go with something else but never specified what tire.
ahh gotcha, so instead of studded duratracs they got me studded Hankook ipike RW11s. For summer they got me Hankook AT2s. Coworkers have gotten Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's. The AT2s haven't lasted very long but I also haven't been good with rotating them. The 2020 Dodge 2500 I have wants you to run 75psi in the front and 80psi in the rear. Can't deviate more than a few psi before the stupid TPMS goes nuts!
Old 02-17-2022, 05:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
ahh gotcha, so instead of studded duratracs they got me studded Hankook ipike RW11s. For summer they got me Hankook AT2s. Coworkers have gotten Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's. The AT2s haven't lasted very long but I also haven't been good with rotating them. The 2020 Dodge 2500 I have wants you to run 75psi in the front and 80psi in the rear. Can't deviate more than a few psi before the stupid TPMS goes nuts!
I believe the Ram may be re-programmable for the TPMS with the right to so you can actually go in and change the trigger points for the sensors... I will try and confirm tomorrow if you like.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 02-17-2022, 06:04 PM

Duratracs were the ok-est tire I’ve had on a half ton
Lasted 100,000(!) km but seemed to wear uneven on gravel?
Great in snow and mild off road.
Now I’m running ko2’s and realize how loud the wranglers were on the road
Haven’t really given the ko2’s and off road test but they are great in snow ok on ice
Old 02-17-2022, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the opinions gents. I'm not really any closer to making a decision but I have some more info. Lol
Old 02-17-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I can see how a dedicated winter tire would out perform a duratrac for sure in winter for everything but deep snow. And that's where personal tendencies come into play as I very much value a tire that will get places in deep snow and that generally means a pretty open lug pattern. Duratracs do very well in that sense and frankly I'd take any M/T tire with zero siping over a dedicated winter tire in that scenario.

I have no experience with the Hankook AT 2's but will give them more of a look but initial impressions are they wouldn't suit me and if they aren't lasting that's a down side as well. I've gotten 80-100k out of duratracs but will switch this most recent set out sooner as they get pretty useless towards the end.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:33 AM

I bought a 2500 Ram about 2 months ago and it came with 285/70/17 Duratracks on them that were in decent shape. I’ve since run a lot of gravel and some heavy hauling with a water tank in the bed. Blew 3 out of the 4 over the last couple weeks and replaced with a different brand. Not at all impressed. They were at about 40% tread, maybe more.

Seeing as I did not buy these tires new I don’t know the whole story but it sure did not make me want to buy a new set.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I believe the Ram may be re-programmable for the TPMS with the right to so you can actually go in and change the trigger points for the sensors... I will try and confirm tomorrow if you like.
I would love to be able to turn the TPMS on my 2500 Ram down to 35 or 40 Lbs. I don't need 65 Lbs of air in the tires when I am not loaded. I believe it can be done with an OBD tool, but you need a security bypass cord for the OBD to work in 2019 and later trucks. Let us know what you find please.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:49 AM

I’ve tried many many brands of AT tires on several trucks over the years. Always trying something different because I’ve never been real satisfied with a certain tire. Of all I’ve run, I actually have never ran dura trac’s, almost did the last set I put in but went with a Falken Wildpeak AT3. So far those have been the tire I’ve like the most, and will likely run them again. Another I’ve been very happy with is the Nitto Exo Grappler AWT. In my opinion those both outperform BFG KO2, Coopers, Hankooks and every other one I’ve tried.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:04 AM

No one would happen to have a used 275/55R20 Duratrac? Got a sidewall puncture so I need a new one. Second tire of the set that I have had to replace from sidewall damage. All 5 of these duratracs have seem to needed air monthly.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:56 AM

100% KO2's. I'm on my second set, and they have been completely solid, best tires I've ever owned.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Not for not people, but the Duratrac threads have been a dime a dozen since forever, so no point in carrying on... This is just a clean up. The search function can pull up one of dozens...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Closed Thread