Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 08:18 PM

Default What About Tea ??

Hey guys all my adult life I have drank coffee. I love good coffee espresso's, french press and moka pots. I watched a program regarding the history of tea and the trade roots from China to Tibet. I have to say it was very interesting and was surprised how little I knew about tea. The only tea I have drunk is grocery tea bags and not very often. So my question is, is there any tea experts here?
I would like to give tea a try but have no idea where to start. Where do you buy quality tea in Edmonton?
Thanks
Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM
Banned

I'm not a tea expert by any means, but in a previous life when I did enjoy my teas, David's tea was always my "go-to" place here in YEG. Other than the tea's my daughter would send from the UK.
https://www.davidstea.com/ca_en/home/
Old 02-11-2022, 08:27 PM

Try a Macha. Higher test green tea. Really good for you too.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:40 PM

Default Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Try a Macha. Higher test green tea. Really good for you too.
Coffee is my real addition.

Loose leaf Jasmine (Green) Tea. Sometimes I slice a half dozen dime sized fresh ginger into the pot as well. Straight up or real honey and lemon juice depending on mood.

Out in the bush, sometimes brew up a pot of Spruce tea or Rose hip tea.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:43 PM

We enjoy Stash brand teas. Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Double Bergamot, Lemon Ginger, Orange Ginger are some of our favourites.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Coffee is my real addition.

Loose leaf Jasmine (Green) Tea. Sometimes I slice a half dozen dime sized fresh ginger into the pot as well. Straight up or real honey and lemon juice depending on mood.

Out in the bush, sometimes brew up a pot of Spruce tea or Rose hip tea.

A tablespoon of peeled and crushed ginger steeped for 3 minutes. Delicious. The stronger the better. Then hammer down the ginger dregs.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:03 PM

In most stores that sell coffeee or teas will have "Celestial Seasonings" teas. They have a great assortment of teas. You can get sampler packages with a 4 or more kinds of tea to try too. Their herbal or fruit teas are all pretty good. Black or green tea too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-11-2022, 09:41 PM

Son got me hooked on Presidents Choice Dirty Chai, not for the caffeine sensitive.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-11-2022, 10:00 PM

We have a cup of decaffeinated green tea a hour or so before bed, it's relaxing. But in the morning gotta have my coffee fix.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:12 PM

Russian caravan tea ( Lapsang Souchong Loose Tea ) is worth trying. A truly unique flavor

B.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:43 PM

Partial to Gunpowder
Old 02-11-2022, 10:56 PM
Gone Hunting

I grew up with the idea Coffee was for breakfast and Tea for supper.

It's how I've always done, when I could. Sometimes it's hard to find Tea in camps.

Always black tea, never green.

Both teas come from the same plant and have pretty much the same health benefits and stimulants, such as caffeine.

Green tea is simply dried tea leaves while black tea leaves are allowed to oxidize before drying. They have very different flavors.

There are different flavors of both black and green tea depending on where it was grown.

I am only familiar with two of them.

Orange Pekoe is mostly grown in Sri Lanka.

Earl Gray tea, the classic British tea is grown more in India and usually has Bergamot peel added for a sharper flavor.

I drink both, but my go to is Red Rose brand Orange Pekoe.

BTW the orange in the name has to do with the color of the brew, not orange flavoring.

While coffee is perked, tea is steeped. Never boil tea, it will be very bitter and very strong if allowed to boil

We brew tea in one of two ways, one tea bag in a cup of hot water or a handful of loose leaves in a lard pail or pot.

Bring water to a boil, remove from heat, add tea leaves and let sit for five minutes. That's all there is too it.

As with coffee people drink it black, or add sugar or cream or both. Others prefer honey over sugar.

I like it with honey and cream but if honey isn't available I drink it with sugar and cream.

Finally, tea is a trappers traditional evening drink.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-12-2022, 12:07 AM

I love my coffee however...

I went to the tea stall at the Bountiful Farmer's Market in Edmonton and asked her for "the tea they serve with dim sum" and she handed me a tin of loose-leaf jasmine green tea. Took one sniff and that's the stuff! Brewed it at home and now I'm craving dim sum...
Old 02-13-2022, 12:04 AM

I grew up with tea. I drink tea every day. Every Russian drinks tea, it’s like vodka- we can’t live without it.
The one we drink is the lose leaf only, not this bag crap… You can buy it at many places, choose the flavour that you like.
As for coffee- double long espresso is my choice. I start my day with that.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:00 AM

Coffee and lots of it before noon, then rooibos tea in the evening is my go to routine. Find a good tea shop and buy the loose tea, much more flavourful.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:00 AM

Always been an Earl Grey, Red Rose guy. Often brew a kettle when out fishing or hunting. Carry a small Kelly Kettle for a quick brew.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-13-2022, 08:01 AM

I carry a thermos of tea out hunting every day I'm out, love my tea about 10:00 with a little snack, and again about 4:00, my thermos keeps it hot for 16 hrs easy, normally it's just a couple red rose tea bags in the thermos and fill with boiling water, a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hey guys all my adult life I have drank coffee. I love good coffee espresso's, french press and moka pots. I watched a program regarding the history of tea and the trade roots from China to Tibet. I have to say it was very interesting and was surprised how little I knew about tea. The only tea I have drunk is grocery tea bags and not very often. So my question is, is there any tea experts here?
I would like to give tea a try but have no idea where to start. Where do you buy quality tea in Edmonton?
Thanks
Start simple. Any local teas shop is going to have high quality loose leaf tea. Pick with a black or green tea. Depending on what your limited experience says you prefer. The biggest deal is steeping. For black tea use actual boiling water. Steep in a straining spoon or basket for a few minutes. Then play with the amount of time till you like the strength.

I would strongly avoid things like David’s tea. Buy plain teas to start, loose leaf tea is superior except in convenience. So if it seems like too much work stick to bag teas.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 AM

I have grown fond of nettle tea. It has all kinds of health benefits including an anti inflammatory and helps your prostate health. I plan to harvest my own this summer.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I have grown fond of nettle tea. It has all kinds of health benefits including an anti inflammatory and helps your prostate health. I plan to harvest my own this summer.
While you’re at it make some fireweed tea. Someone did a post on here last summer and I made a bit of my own. It’s really nice!
Old 02-13-2022, 09:21 AM

I spent some time in an Asian tea store many years ago. The owner sat us down and did a simple tea ceremony, explained a lot about tea etc.

One she showed us is the guest “smells the pot” after tea is served, let me back up. First only enough tea to be served immediately is made, it doesn’t sit in the pot. Once it’s poured the guest wraps a warm towel around the rim of the pot and buries their face in the pot then breathes deeply a couple times. It’s amazingly refreshing. So try “smelling the pot.”
Old 02-13-2022, 09:34 AM

Rooibos or “bush tea”.
When my family had to make “big” decisions, my father always said “let’s discuss it over a cup of bush tea”.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:37 AM

One thing about tea, from when I was 20 I drink a lot milk, then my kidney stones started every 2 years, lots of hospital visits , then I switched to Tea, for 10 years now no more kidney stones attacks, I never drank coffee ever, and now my mountain hunting buddy are liking tea, no more coffee for back country hunts.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:38 AM

Superstore or T&T have a decent amount of loose leaf teas. I run with a Japanese green tea and a few Indian black teas. Loose leaf allows you to weaken or strengthen the flavour to your liking. Is cheaper also.

Couple of boutique tea places around town also. All sorts of grade and flavours of tea.

I absolutely love the smell of fresh coffee brewing. Never had more than a sip just don’t like the taste. Tea guy.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:40 AM

Default Tea

Glenns tea in Red Deer on Gasoline alley. they ship and can get anything you wish. I get the Scottish Breakfast Tea and have a pot going all the time. the stronger the better. It is a black tea but very good aroma. I have the butterfly green tea and it is very good also. check them out online and order some in. I purchase 5 pounds at a time and if I order on Monday have it Wednesday.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:41 AM

Well guys due to lack of time I ended up with a sample pack of twinnings black tea bags. I tried the earl grey and it was ok. Yea is certainly different. I might of had 2 cups in 60 years. I will need some time to get all the characteristics down pat. I would like to find specialty shops to visit as well for loose tea. Thanks to all for your information.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well guys due to lack of time I ended up with a sample pack of twinnings black tea bags. I tried the earl grey and it was ok. Yea is certainly different. I might of had 2 cups in 60 years. I will need some time to get all the characteristics down pat. I would like to find specialty shops to visit as well for loose tea. Thanks to all for your information.
Theres a small tea shop called Aquired Taste at corner of 124st and 101ave. East half block on southside of 101st just across from the old MEC store which has now moved. My favourite tea is Irish Breakfast which is stronger than my second favourite Scottish Breakfast. Both far stronger than English Breakfast which is more common to get locally but to weak for my tastes.
I also buy empty tea bags from there to put coffee in to steep in boiled water from my Kelley Kettle when im shore side.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:22 PM

I'm a Red Rose guy as it's what I was raised with and like. We have some Asian friends who bring us boxes of high quality black and green tea back from Beijing and Hong Kong though that is delicious. I certainly wouldn't pay the sticker price for some of it though. It's like quality Scotch to the Asians.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:30 PM

I am more of a coffee guy, but.... my daughter in law bought me this one Christmas, the Black Bear. Delicious, I was going to buy it for myself until I saw the price.

https://banffteaco.com/?s=bear

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-13-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I usually keep Earl Grey on hand strictly to make London Fogs.