Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-09-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Quick question on walking with a cased fire arm

My jeep broke down and it's going to be a bit till the parts are in. Is it illegal to walk up the number #1 highway with my. 22 in a case to my gopher hole. Yes I know I might be stopped, that isn't a problem. I just want know if it is legal to do so. I can't find any reference on rcmp web sight or any were for that matter. Does any one know.

My line of thinking is.
If transporting your firearm must be cased
If my feet are the transportation and fire arm is cased and on my back, that would technically count as being in the '' trunk'' right?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
My jeep broke down and it's going to be a bit till the parts are in. Is it illegal to walk up the number #1 highway with my. 22 in a case to my gopher hole. Yes I know I might be stopped, that isn't a problem. I just want know if it is legal to do so. I can't find any reference on rcmp web sight or any were for that matter. Does any one know.

My line of thinking is.
If transporting your firearm must be cased
If my feet are the transportation and fire arm is cased and on my back, that would technically count as being in the '' trunk'' right?
Transport and carry are two different things.

Trunks are for keeping the firearm out of sight while stopped and vacating the vehicle during transport. It’s not storage it’s a provision within the transport rules.

Yes you can legally carry your gopher getter in a rifle case(don’t use a guitar case or similar) down a major road way, but expect to possibly garner a lot of unwanted attention. How bad do you really want to deal with some I’ll informed Mountie, in the current political situation? You may be legal and proper, but some wonder recruit fresh out of Depot, who grew up in Toronto, is potentially going to give you a day or two from hell.
The choice is yours.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-09-2020, 10:33 AM

The rcmp here are generally decent. Last time they came to my house due to a over zealous security guard seeing me walk in with my rifle, they checked my stuff out then we had coffee and talked reloading and guns for over a hr. Must been a slow day cause was 6 of em.
So as long as its is legal, that's about all I care about. And it's really just me walking up gravel road and having to cross highway to continue up gravel road.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

your alright...enjoy the gopher shooting...wish we had an abundance of them here.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Since when do non restricted firearms have to be cased while in transit?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Since when do non restricted firearms have to be cased while in transit?
They don't.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
They don't.
Exactly!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

a violin case might draw some attention....a little off topic but I got to shoot the Tommy Gun in Vegas a few years ago at Battlefield Vegas, drum mag....man that would get the gophers dancing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Oh I miss the good ole days driving the pickup with a rifle hanging on the rack over the back window
Old 05-09-2020, 01:09 PM

Walking to go shoot gophers?
Just go.
No reason to hide it.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Oh I miss the good ole days driving the pickup with a rifle hanging on the rack over the back window
And when we rode bicycles to carry us and our 22 rifles out to the farm to shoot ground squirrels, after school.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Put your lunch in a gun case (no gun). Then walk up the road and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Walking to go shoot gophers?
Just go.
No reason to hide it.

Just remember the Stormtrooper gal.

Grizz
Old 05-09-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Me too
Old 05-09-2020, 04:05 PM

its still legal to drive down hiway with rifle in gun rack...
Old 05-09-2020, 06:22 PM

We need to make guns more visible.
Believe it or not, shooting guns is a normal and reasonable thing to do.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
its still legal to drive down hiway with rifle in gun rack...
Yes it is
Old 05-09-2020, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;4166763]Transport and carry are two different things.

Trunks are for keeping the firearm out of sight while stopped and vacating the vehicle during transport. It’s not storage it’s a provision within the transport rules.

Yes you can legally carry your gopher getter in a rifle case(don’t use a guitar case or similar)

A guitar case makes perfect sense if you don't want to draw attention and still remain law abiding.
There is no law that says a gun case has to be shaped like a gun or have any identifying markings that there is a gun inside.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;4167173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Transport and carry are two different things.

Yes you can legally carry your gopher getter in a rifle case(don’t use a guitar case or similar)

A guitar case makes perfect sense if you don't want to draw attention and still remain law abiding.
There is no law that says a gun case has to be shaped like a gun or have any identifying markings that there is a gun inside.
Actually you are wrong.
There is a law that is called carrying a concealed weapon. Putting a firearm in a case that wouldn’t normally be used for carrying a firearm, and voila you’ve now ventured into concealing a weapon.

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/sc.../1073/index.do

There are no absolutes
Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 PM

Walking went fine. Wasn't stopped other then one older fella heading up the road that wanted to chat about when his eyes were younger and he used to shoot gophers for candy money. Good day,, bad day for the gophers in the field. Thanks for all the input. Was much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;4167179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post

Actually you are wrong.
There is a law that is called carrying a concealed weapon. Putting a firearm in a case that wouldn’t normally be used for carrying a firearm, and voila you’ve now ventured into concealing a weapon.

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/sc.../1073/index.do
Ah, I see.
I guess you could slap a small sticker on it that says gun inside.
Wouldn't be too noticeable to passing cars.
The tuffpak cases for air travel look like a hard golf bag case.
My bad trying to make sense out of Canadian laws.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Yes it is
I know it is
But the way things are these days a person could end up face first on the pavement really fast.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:19 AM

It worries me that so many are prepared to give up their rights because of illegal and harassing action by Police. I plan to continue to do what is perfectly legal. If the Police show up I will deal with them respectfully but I will stand up for my rights. If they assault me, arrest me without reason or in any other way abrogate my rights they will see an official complaint along with civil court action. If we don't start pushing back effectively you won't be able to take your guns out of the house for fear the Police will be on you. Time to grow a set guys.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It worries me that so many are prepared to give up their rights because of illegal and harassing action by Police. I plan to continue to do what is perfectly legal. If the Police show up I will deal with them respectfully but I will stand up for my rights. If they assault me, arrest me without reason or in any other way abrogate my rights they will see an official complaint along with civil court action. If we don't start pushing back effectively you won't be able to take your guns out of the house for fear the Police will be on you. Time to grow a set guys.
"...because of illegal and harassing action by Police." a profound statement that needs further discussion. These actions by Police seldom get discussed in open forums. I initiated a discussion about a hunter walking from his house down a country road to a hunting area. First he was harassed by the RCMP and then removed from the road by a Fish and Wildlife Officer. The discussion was removed from this Forum. "If we don't start pushing back effectively..." has to be thought as "We have to push back effectively..." but when Forums suppress these discussions they support Police actions.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
i had a gun rack in my 70 vw westfalia. haha thanks for triggering a fun memory.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Keep on keeping on....this should be a sticky at the top of the page.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 PM

I do it quite often, did it today as a matter of fact. Uncased and on my shoulder. I wouldn't recommend doing it though as some nut case might fabricate a complaint and poof, your faced down in the dirt with a handgun pointed at the back of your head. Then you could be arrested and detained for as long as they feel it's necessary to change your behavior and compel you to behave like a normal person.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, have to know your rights and stand by them, politely but firmly.

Grizz
Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
"...because of illegal and harassing action by Police." a profound statement that needs further discussion. These actions by Police seldom get discussed in open forums. I initiated a discussion about a hunter walking from his house down a country road to a hunting area. First he was harassed by the RCMP and then removed from the road by a Fish and Wildlife Officer. The discussion was removed from this Forum. "If we don't start pushing back effectively..." has to be thought as "We have to push back effectively..." but when Forums suppress these discussions they support Police actions.
Your thread may have been removed not because of the topic but how it was being discussed .
There are also many municipal bylaws and Provincial rules that mandate that firearms be cased while being transported in certain areas .
Cat
Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Your thread may have been removed not because of the topic but how it was being discussed .
There are also many municipal bylaws and Provincial rules that mandate that firearms be cased while being transported in certain areas .
Cat
I am not quite sure if I agree with that. I have also had my postings removed because I discussed how I used to carry my .22 on my bicycle through small town Saskatchewan in 1974. There was no existing municipal or Provincial rule applicable at that time that I am aware of.