Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 05:02 PM

Default Deleted Threads and Discussion

Look folks, if you want to talk Convoys,pipeline terrorism, do it in the politics thread. Any other opened threads will be immediately deleted. Repeat offenders will be suspended! Cross the line in the politics thread, and you’ll get punted. Pretty simple!

Last edited by leo; 02-18-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Still no Covid... We are done with covid... It is a firing offence
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-18-2022, 05:32 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Take this how you please but the level of censorship being applied is going to cost you members if it continues. I am personally getting to the point I am debating on leaving myself. I know some have already left and some cut back posts already regarding this

Might as well just remove general discussion and try to promote the dwindling Outdoors related topics

But it’s not my forum and I am not a MOD just a member giving an opinion
There is a big difference between censorship and dealing with giant man children who do not know the very basics of playing nicely with others. If they could figure out the one there would be no need for the second.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-18-2022, 05:39 PM

The word censorship gets thrown around a lot here. As the newest mod, my eyes have surely been opened to the amount of pitiful, pathetic, nasty, trollish, persistently ignorant stuff that goes on.

I appreciate the opinion that it should just all be left up, and let the insults and cheap shots fall where they may, but no.

If membership declines because people can't just spew whatever they want however they want, where and when they want, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it. I'm already regretting agreeing to this gig. I have to see the worst of AO every day. It was way more fun just being TC and posting whatever.

But thanks for another boring, repetitive, unoriginal post about the bad Stasi mods. Maybe try and at least be entertaining next time, there should be some reward for us having to babysit grown ass men.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-18-2022, 05:44 PM

You guys keep accusing the mods of censorship. Here is a little experiment for you.
Go sit in a room where a bunch 3 yr olds are arguing over a toy and do that for 7 days a week for a month and then come back and report to the moderators what a wonderful experience it was and how you never lost your patience even though no matter what warnings or how many warnings you gave , they never stop bickering .
Then you might have an argument.
Keep in mind the Covid thread went on for over a year like that .
Old 02-18-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
I'm with you Smoky! I've said my price in PM's so won't reiterate here. I'm not deleting my 'account's but it's going inactive. If the most important thing going on in my country can not be discussed there is no reason to be here. The excuse that it's not hunting fishing or outdoors related is just that. Just took a quick look...out of 30 threads on the general page maybe 7 or 8 could be stretched to be included in those parameters.
Thanks for those who had contributed to the forum in the past couple weeks especially.
You have been told but you refuse to listen. You can discuss political matters to your hearts content in the political thread. And at this stage of the game the the convoy is only politics.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:01 PM

I was a mod here years ago

Before BLM, before racism existed, before Trudeau and trump and wexit and truckers...

And it was a gong show

I cant imagine what our mods deal with now.....

Unless you are or were a mod, you would be AMAZED at what goes on that you dont see because mods are on the ball......fraud, extremists, spam galore, duplicate accounts, swearing, threats, dick pics...regular members are just immune to most of it because of mods
...there are some real sick sob's out there and they try to botch this site daily......
Old 02-18-2022, 06:06 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I was a mod here years ago

Before BLM, before racism existed, before Trudeau and trump and wexit and truckers...

And it was a gong show

I cant imagine what our mods deal with now.....

Unless you are or were a mod, you would be AMAZED at what goes on that you dont see because mods are on the ball......fraud, extremists, duplicate accounts, swearing, threats, dick pics...regular members are just immune to most of it because of mods
...there are some real sick sob's out there and they try to botch this site daily......
Sometimes all these guys that threaten to leave because they are not allowed to say whatever they want to say and violating their free speech etc etc do not realize that more people leave every day and do not participate because of all the crap attitudes that are constantly being batted around under the guise of said free speech.

Guess what? We would have a lot more people participating if all that crap was gone! We mods are trying our best to keep a healthy balance of letting things be discussed but done so without disrespecting others constantly. If you care more about the right to disrespect others than you do about having a place to talk about the outdoors and some real life things off topic in a way that lets everyone feel welcome, well that is bad on you.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 02-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Oh I have definitely seen my fair share of comments and threads that warrant deleting. I understand things need to be kept civil

Now deleting threads or posts because of the subject when they were not insulting or offensive is what I am talking about

I can say up until recently I would not have said there was censorship issues

But I am done debating it you guys do as you please like I said not my forum and I am not a MOD
Ok, pay attention here Smoky, this isn't personal.

Of the half dozen threads we recently deleted, it was because they were already being discussed in the political thread. Where they belong. We don't need multiple threads about the same topic taking up space.

Anything related to politics, we put in the politics thread.

How is moving something 'censorship'?

Just stop already. It's still boring. I answer PMs all day long, and some guys if you delete the thread get indignant and just start it again.

Just go look in politics. Next time I gotta say it, I'm gonna bypass the swear filter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-18-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and maybe shed light on the situation for us members; can you tell us the major problems the mods face?

I obviously see some of what goes on, but from TC’s post much, much more than what I imagine must go on.

Obviously, there must be a lot of fighting amongst members but are you guys constantly chasing “reported posts”? I am certain I have only ever reported what I have assumed as phishing or scams. Is there a constant stream of posts by say 5% of the group constantly reporting each other?

I’m just wondering if some light is shed on the situation that some of us may change our ways. I try my best to behave, and be respectful, but find some of my posts deleted without knowing why.
Reading comprehension. That's it right there.

People need to read the rules. And the warnings we post. And realize we redirect posts and threads to a more appropriate existing thread. Do we delete posts? Of course. I have done it, and I usually send a PM to the person who posted explaining why. Most get it. Some don't. Either way, it is a judgement call, and maybe we get it right, maybe we don't. But by God, we sure earn our pay.

Reading comprehension. That's the problem.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-18-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity, and maybe shed light on the situation for us members; can you tell us the major problems the mods face?

I obviously see some of what goes on, but from TC’s post much, much more than what I imagine must go on.

Obviously, there must be a lot of fighting amongst members but are you guys constantly chasing “reported posts”? I am certain I have only ever reported what I have assumed as phishing or scams. Is there a constant stream of posts by say 5% of the group constantly reporting each other?

I’m just wondering if some light is shed on the situation that some of us may change our ways. I try my best to behave, and be respectful, but find some of my posts deleted without knowing why.
It goes through busier and slower periods with chasing reports, but that also is because when you identify in on what is causing chasing reports, you end up having to moderate constantly so you chase less reports, and that takes crazy amounts of time too. In the end, if it can't be discussed without being a full time job babysitting, then it will go. The same members who complain about censorship are often the same members who create their own headaches because they refuse to self moderate their own behaviours.

It is not topics that cause deletions of threads initially... It is the lack of decency of the members who always take things too far that cause it. It ends up being almost a self fulfilling prophecy. Once that line gets crossed, you cannot come back as has been well proven over and over. It truly is a shame these guys can't figure out that they are being their own worst enemies.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 02-18-2022, 06:22 PM

Seriously fellas, you don’t deserve this sht. Just ban their rotten azzes. No normal people on this forum want members who stir the feces stew on a daily basis anyhow. Even if they try and come back again, you’ve taken away their “identity” as it were, and so they gotta start from scratch, known only to their shizzle disturbing pals. Addition by subtraction. It’s a thing.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
".. As the newest mod, my eyes have surely been opened to the amount of.. stuff that goes on...
Was actually a massive reason I had to step away from the position, returning to ignorance was truly bliss for me.
If AO were my site, there would be so many time outs left, right & center to keep important threads open.

One thing is fact though: Mod'n takes a very special group of folk to keep a flowing, smooth operation.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:52 PM

Thanks for letting the conversation about the convoy continue on the politics thread. I like to have a place where I can read about the opinions of mostly like minded people even if there’s bickering like children that happens. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:58 PM

Chuck communicated with me personally about some issues he had, and made certain requests that Admin helped him with. Nothing nefarious about it, he and I had a very good exchange about it and we respected his request. He did nothing wrong.

As far as banned or suspended accounts, you will see that right under their user name if it happens. As to why it happens, usually the reason will get deleted, and we aren't about publicly shaming.

Usually. Although sometimes you will see me taking subtle and clever digs at guys. Just like I did before I was a mod. Only now, Jungleboy doesn't infract me for it.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-18-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Closed Thread